Tom

Default Stot's Dust Sucker opinion

I would like to know what your opinions of this device is. I've been
thinking of getting one, but would like to know what you all think of it. I
have the router table that I bought from Oak Park (the one on the Router
Workshop). I installed /drilled a 2" hole on the outside/bottom of the table
which is connected to my Grizzly dust collector and put a sheet of Plexiglas
on the front opening. I want to put a "T" connection on the hose and run it
to the Stot's device which would go on top of the table if I get one. I'd
like to know what your comments and opinions are of this device.
Thanks for your help.

BillyBob

"Tom" wrote in message
I would like to know what your opinions of this device is. I've been
thinking of getting one, but would like to know what you all think of it.

have the router table that I bought from Oak Park (the one on the Router
Workshop). I installed /drilled a 2" hole on the outside/bottom of the

table
which is connected to my Grizzly dust collector and put a sheet of

Plexiglas
on the front opening. I want to put a "T" connection on the hose and run

it
to the Stot's device which would go on top of the table if I get one. I'd
like to know what your comments and opinions are of this device.
Thanks for your help.

I have no experience with this particular device. I have played with
different "non fence mounted" dust collection approaches on a router table
and I think they are valid. My first and very highly effective approach was
the end of a 4" flexible dust collection hose held to the table with a
bungee cord. Man this worked well. You just had to be sure and get it
somewhere near the "stream" of dust shooting off the bit. But it was a pain
to manage. I currently have a Veritas magnetic dust chute that attaches to
my shop vac. Its basically a 3" square opening. This works pretty well. Its
not the hurricane force of a 4" dust collection hose, but it has the
advantage of infinitely variable positioning on a steel table. I like it.

As to the Stott's device, it seems to me that he went overboard trying to
justify a $50 price tag by adding storage bins and a hinged lid. This seems
ridiculous to me. I'm not going to store bits and wrenches in a dust chute.
That's what drawers in the router table are for. I think his dust
collection idea is very valid. However, it seems pretty big to try to place
behind the fence. That's a bad idea.

You might consider doing a little crude prototyping to see if it matches
your expectations. Get some 1/4" plywood and a brad gun and throw together
a box with a hole in the side for your vacuum hose and try it out. By the
way, most of the effect of something like this is to realize that your job
is not to suck the dust away from the bit. The router bit hurls the dust
and chips off at a high velocity in a fairly directed stream. You just need
to get something in front of that stream to corral it so the vacuum can suck
it away after its slowed down inside the chute. Veritas does a very good
job of explaining this in their router fence instructions. They even show
how to make a simple chip directing device and eliminate a vacuum
altogether.

Bob

arw01

Stotts is the same fellow who licenses you a master template to make
your own dovetail jigs from. He must think he's Microsoft with a
shrinkwrap license.

For that reason alone, I will NOT even consider his products.
Woodworkers are the most trustworthy lot I've ever been associated
with.

Alan

JDS dust collector review Slowhand Woodworking 4 January 7th 05 10:59 PM
JDS dust collector review Slowhand Woodworking 0 January 6th 05 09:48 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Basement Shop vs Dust in Home Above Othello1939 Woodworking 12 January 11th 04 05:45 AM
Dust Extraction for small workshop Matt Helliwell UK diy 35 September 24th 03 10:20 AM