foggytown

Default Color me DUMB!

Bought a cheap drum sanding kit from ebay some months ago. Four drums
and lots of sanding tubes to use on my bench drill. Worked OK but some
of the tubes just would not fit well on the little drums - some too big
others too small. So I've been taping up the too small barrels to stop
the tubes slipping. Hey - it only cost a few bucks. Today I need the
smallest drum radius and I can't get any of the smallest tubes to slip
over. In frustration I thought I'd take the drum off so I see this
little nut at the bottom of the drum on the shaft. I turn it
counter-clockwise (universal loosen, right?) and what the hell - it
doesn't loosen - it tightens up and the drum gets fatter! And the nut
is reverse threaded so when I turn it clockwise, it loosens and the
drum gets smaller.

Nobody ever told me you could make the drums bigger and smaller with
this nut thereby making it easier to get the tubes off and on!
DOH!

FoggyTown

Jois

"foggytown" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Now somehow I knew about that but since I can't tell left from right I never
get the drums on or off or to stay in place with out a lot of fussing around
just the same. Doh!

Josie

Warren Weber

"Jois" wrote in message

"foggytown" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Can't add to this bunch. I never made a mistake But then again I may
be mistaken about that. (

Robatoy

In article .com,
"foggytown" wrote:

Nobody ever told me you could make the drums bigger and smaller with
this nut thereby making it easier to get the tubes off and on!
DOH!

I'm not going to snicker at your expense as I have encountered similar
thing where I DOH!'ed.
My first sanding drum was a 3 1/2" SandBoss pneumatic. I slipped on the
sleeve and hooked up the air chuck. It clearly said not to exceed 35
psi..'cept I hadn't read that part. I figure it blew at about 80 psi..
nothing really loud.. just expensive. Later I found out they were
repairable by buying a new tube... then I had two 3 1/2" drums... till I
was sanding against the grain on the edge of an oak board driving a nice
sliver into the sleeve and tube... just a hiss that time.... as you can
see.. I have absolutely no right to laugh at your misfortune, funny as
it is.....
Upscale

"Robatoy" wrote in message news:design-
see.. I have absolutely no right to laugh at your misfortune, funny as
it is.....

Haven't we all done something DOH! once in awhile. Mine was six months ago
when unbeknownst to me, my cordless drill slipped into reverse. Spent over
two hours trying to figure out why none of my new drills bits wouldn't drill
for ****.

foggytown

Upscale wrote:
Haven't we all done something DOH! once in awhile. Mine was six months ago
when unbeknownst to me, my cordless drill slipped into reverse. Spent over
two hours trying to figure out why none of my new drills bits wouldn't drill
for ****.

Oh sure. DOHness is an elemental part of wrecking. I am especially
proud of the time I spent at least an hour lovingly machining and
sanding a decorative figured stretcher for a side table - and then
glued it up backwards AND upside down. I didn't notice it until the
next day at which point I discovered that the glue was indeed stronger
than the wood.

FoggyTown

Norman D. Crow

"foggytown" wrote in message
oups.com...

Upscale wrote:
Haven't we all done something DOH! once in awhile. Mine was six months
ago
when unbeknownst to me, my cordless drill slipped into reverse. Spent
over
two hours trying to figure out why none of my new drills bits wouldn't
drill
for ****.

Oh sure. DOHness is an elemental part of wrecking. I am especially
proud of the time I spent at least an hour lovingly machining and
sanding a decorative figured stretcher for a side table - and then
glued it up backwards AND upside down. I didn't notice it until the
next day at which point I discovered that the glue was indeed stronger
than the wood.

Yep! Friend asked me to fix a back porch light sensor that was coming on too
much for too short a time, burning out the bulb. Took it down and working @
odd moments in the basement, spent some time on it, was about to get a new
sensor assy. when it wouldn't work. Then . . . DOH! You jacka**! It won't
work with the lights on, it's designed to work in the DARK!

--
Nahmie

Upscale

@
odd moments in the basement, spent some time on it, was about to get a new
sensor assy. when it wouldn't work. Then . . . DOH! You jacka**! It won't
work with the lights on, it's designed to work in the DARK!

Reminds me of back in the DOS days. Installed a new cdrom drive and then
wrote up a DOS batch file so I could play some music cds. Named it cd.bat.
Spent the next three days trying to figure out why when I typed 'cd' enter
my batch file wouldn't work.

Pat Barber

My personal favorite is ripping large expensive sheets of
plywood and measuring correctly and marking incorrectly.
I have done that twice in the same day.

Pat Barber wrote:
My personal favorite is ripping large expensive sheets of
plywood and measuring correctly and marking incorrectly.
I have done that twice in the same day.

You just kind of have to accept that you're going to do that once in a
while. Just the other day, I was repeating "seventy eight and seven
eighths...seventy eight and seven eighth...seventy eight and seven
eighths..." in my head and promptly marked 78 3/8 and made the cut.
AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! That's a long piece of hardwood to
scrap! I'm a newbie so I had to learn butt joinery on the spot.

BTW, I'm going to have to learn to be less vocal when I screw up. My
wife came running out of the house assuming that I'd cut off a body
part!

Tom

jo4hn

During the 70s gasoline crunch, I decided to move a couple of gallons
from one vehicle to another. I walked into the garage and picked up a
cheap electric pump that I had. I walked back outside and held the cord
in my hand for a few seconds. I returned to the garage, put the pump
back from which it had come, went into the house, poured a beer and
rested until my heart quit racing.
glurp,
jo4hn
Upscale

"jo4hn" wrote in message
During the 70s gasoline crunch, I decided to move a couple of gallons
from one vehicle to another. I walked into the garage and picked up a
cheap electric pump that I had. I walked back outside and held the cord
in my hand for a few seconds. I returned to the garage, put the pump
back from which it had come, went into the house, poured a beer and
rested until my heart quit racing.

That reminds me of when I had my '67 T-bird. Middle of winter went out,
started up the car, turned the heat on full, went back in the house to wait
for it to warm up. Woke up on the couch 8 hours later. The car was still
running with all the snow melted for five feet around it, 3/4's of a tank of
gas used up. Car never ran properly after that.

Tim Douglass

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 19:03:45 -0400, "Upscale"
wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message news:design-
see.. I have absolutely no right to laugh at your misfortune, funny as
it is.....

Haven't we all done something DOH! once in awhile. Mine was six months ago
when unbeknownst to me, my cordless drill slipped into reverse. Spent over
two hours trying to figure out why none of my new drills bits wouldn't drill
for ****.

I do that so often I don't even count it anymore. My favorite was
installing the chain on my chain saw backwards. At the time I was
cutting and selling firewood, so having it suddenly stop cutting was
rather disconcerting. More so was when I finally figured out the
problem after re-sharpening the chain - *twice*!

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Dave Balderstone

In article , Upscale
wrote:

Haven't we all done something DOH! once in awhile. Mine was six months ago
when unbeknownst to me, my cordless drill slipped into reverse. Spent over
two hours trying to figure out why none of my new drills bits wouldn't drill
for ****.

Bought a new chainsaw a little over a year ago, display unit, fully
assembled. Jonsered, nice little 16" saw.

Took me about half an hour of trying to cut through 2/" branches with
little success before I thought to check whether the chain was on
backwards or not in the store.

Guess what?

djb

mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it. "
-- Gene Spafford, 1992
John Girouard

Haven't we all done something DOH! once in awhile. Mine was six months ago
when unbeknownst to me, my cordless drill slipped into reverse. Spent over
two hours trying to figure out why none of my new drills bits wouldn't drill
for ****.

BTDT, isn't that the most frustrating thing? I usually figure it out
when I go to throw the drill in reverse in order to change the bit, and
have a little 'a ha!' moment.

One of my scarier 'color me dumb' moments was using a brass template
guide on my router for the first time. Pretty, shiny new 4" long, 1/2"
Whiteside spiral upcut bit, and I picked the 5/8" guide... the one with
a 17/32" ID. Hindsight tells me that only leaves 1/64" clearance all
around the bit.

Now, the moment itself is a bit of a blur, but what I think happened is
that the upcut bit, true to its name, lifted a freshly routed and
liberated chip of wood that happened to be more than 1/64" thick. Said
chip of wood (part of a knot in some pine IIRC) was thick enough to
deflect the bit into the template guide, at which time there was an
awful CHUNK sound, my router motor briefly stopped whizzing around and
jerked violently in my hands, bits of wood, brass and carbide hit my
face shield, and my heart stopped. Obviously, none of that is
necessarily in chronological order.

Thankfully, the router, the bit and myself survived (mostly). The bit
has a tiny nick on only one of its helical edges, so it still works
great. The brass template... not so much. You can still sorta tell that
it once had a round opening, but about 1/3 of it looks like it was torn
and peeled back much like a cereal box top. The end grain of the wood I
was routing got a little torn up, and needed nothing more than the
tiniest dab of wood filler to fix. It is now the shorter stile in my
first full-size door, and would make a great conversation piece if I
didn't have to crowd people around it when I tell the story... it is a
bathroom door.

-John

Robatoy

In article .com,
"John Girouard" wrote:

[snipperectomy]

1/2"
Whiteside spiral upcut bit, and I picked the 5/8" guide... the one with
a 17/32" ID. Hindsight tells me that only leaves 1/64" clearance all
around the bit.

My shop runs on 1/2" bits inside 5/8 guides. That's how I shape my slabs
for solid surface fabrication. I always use single-flute bits, better
chip clearing and faster/cooler cutting. They do vibrate a little after
a couple of sharpenings, but we're not making watches.

The one day I grabbed a router body with a spiral 1/2" and dropped into
a base already set up with a 5/8 bushing. Too much in a hurry to change
to the single flute, the acrylic went up into the bushing and seized
inside the bushing and the whole bushing started rotating, smoking, and
ruined the router base-plate.

Like a sign in my office says: "The hurryder I go, the behinder I get."

hangs beside: "You want this tomorrow?? You should have ordered it
tomorrow!"
Bruce Barnett

"foggytown" writes:

Nobody ever told me you could make the drums bigger and smaller with
this nut thereby making it easier to get the tubes off and on!
DOH!

I always knew about this, but I had the other problem. No matter how
much I made them thinner, I could not get the worn cyliders off. So I
ripped them off, and I was never able to get new ones one. They WERE
cheap. I think I got them from AMT (the Harbor Freight of the 80's... :-)
They worked for the first week, but that was 20 years ago.

Billy

My old boss thought it would be a good idea to chuck one up in router
once. Very short experiment.

"foggytown" writes:

Nobody ever told me you could make the drums bigger and smaller with
this nut thereby making it easier to get the tubes off and on!
DOH!

Tim Douglass

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 04:01:24 GMT, Billy wrote:

My old boss thought it would be a good idea to chuck one up in router
once. Very short experiment.

How many employees had to change their shorts?

Spinning non-router stuff in a router is flat scary!

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Robatoy

In article .com,
"foggytown" wrote:

"Color Me Dumb...

I checked my Crayon box.. I'm all out of Dumb...

Mark & Juanita

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:15:25 -0400, Robatoy wrote:

In article .com,
"foggytown" wrote:

"Color Me Dumb...

I checked my Crayon box.. I'm all out of Dumb...

Used 'em all up, did you? :-)

Robatoy

"foggytown" wrote:

"Color Me Dumb...

I checked my Crayon box.. I'm all out of Dumb...

Used 'em all up, did you? :-)

LOL.. you guys are awake. That is exactly why I'm all out.
(My ex also used it as a make-up pencil)

George

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article .com,
"foggytown" wrote:

"Color Me Dumb...

I checked my Crayon box.. I'm all out of Dumb...

Binney & Smith quit making some colors a few years ago. Remember "flesh?"
For obvious reasons....

foggytown

Robatoy wrote:
In article .com,
"foggytown" wrote:

"Color Me Dumb...

I checked my Crayon box.. I'm all out of Dumb...

You can substitute "Bright Stupid"

FoggyTown

Ken

We all err on occasion, the ones that bother me are the ones I make
over and over again. A cartoon, by Steve Spiro, I saw today reminded me
of one that haunts me again and again. You know the thing on the end of
a tape measure that nobody trusts so we measure starting at the one
ince mark, and then somehow wind up with a piece that is one inch too
short rather than off by 1/64th. I repeat this one regularly. DOH
squared!

Ken

Dave Balderstone

In article . com, Ken
wrote:

We all err on occasion, the ones that bother me are the ones I make
over and over again. A cartoon, by Steve Spiro, I saw today reminded me
of one that haunts me again and again. You know the thing on the end of
a tape measure that nobody trusts so we measure starting at the one
ince mark, and then somehow wind up with a piece that is one inch too
short rather than off by 1/64th. I repeat this one regularly. DOH
squared!

Now, there's an idea...

A series of rules and tape measures with the zero mark an inch in from
the end...

Oh, Robin Lee... Paging Mister Rob Lee!

--
Go read this. Now.
http://www.ejectejecteject.com/archives/000129.html
foggytown

Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article . com, Ken
wrote:

We all err on occasion, the ones that bother me are the ones I make
over and over again. A cartoon, by Steve Spiro, I saw today reminded me
of one that haunts me again and again. You know the thing on the end of
a tape measure that nobody trusts so we measure starting at the one
ince mark, and then somehow wind up with a piece that is one inch too
short rather than off by 1/64th. I repeat this one regularly. DOH
squared!

Now, there's an idea...

A series of rules and tape measures with the zero mark an inch in from
the end...

Oh, Robin Lee... Paging Mister Rob Lee!

--

Great! Then everything would be cut 1" too long.

FoggyTown

Robatoy

On 2005-09-13 08:25:43 -0400, "foggytown" said:

Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article . com, Ken
wrote:

We all err on occasion, the ones that bother me are the ones I make
over and over again. A cartoon, by Steve Spiro, I saw today reminded me
of one that haunts me again and again. You know the thing on the end of
a tape measure that nobody trusts so we measure starting at the one
ince mark, and then somehow wind up with a piece that is one inch too
short rather than off by 1/64th. I repeat this one regularly. DOH
squared!

Now, there's an idea...

A series of rules and tape measures with the zero mark an inch in from
the end...

Oh, Robin Lee... Paging Mister Rob Lee!

--

Great! Then everything would be cut 1" too long.

FoggyTown

If and when I need to do the 'accurate' tape-measure read.. I use the 10" mark.
That way, you will see the error... an inch can hise itself. 10" is
much harder to hide. Not to mention that it makes the conversion a
little easier.....now... I said not to mention it...
--
www.topworks.ca
Comprehensive Solid-surface countertop

Robatoy

On 2005-09-13 08:25:43 -0400, "foggytown" said:

Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article . com, Ken
wrote:

We all err on occasion, the ones that bother me are the ones I make
over and over again. A cartoon, by Steve Spiro, I saw today reminded me
of one that haunts me again and again. You know the thing on the end of
a tape measure that nobody trusts so we measure starting at the one
ince mark, and then somehow wind up with a piece that is one inch too
short rather than off by 1/64th. I repeat this one regularly. DOH
squared!

Now, there's an idea...

A series of rules and tape measures with the zero mark an inch in from
the end...

Oh, Robin Lee... Paging Mister Rob Lee!

--

Great! Then everything would be cut 1" too long.

FoggyTown

Then you compensate, cut off 2 inches..and ...waitasec..
--
www.topworks.ca
Comprehensive Solid-surface countertop
fabrication and installation services.

Mark & Juanita

On 13 Sep 2005 05:25:43 -0700, "foggytown" wrote:

Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article . com, Ken
wrote:

We all err on occasion, the ones that bother me are the ones I make
over and over again. A cartoon, by Steve Spiro, I saw today reminded me
of one that haunts me again and again. You know the thing on the end of
a tape measure that nobody trusts so we measure starting at the one
ince mark, and then somehow wind up with a piece that is one inch too
short rather than off by 1/64th. I repeat this one regularly. DOH
squared!

Now, there's an idea...

A series of rules and tape measures with the zero mark an inch in from
the end...

Oh, Robin Lee... Paging Mister Rob Lee!

--

Great! Then everything would be cut 1" too long.

FoggyTown

... but, it's a whole lot easier to fix a board that's one inch too long
than one that is one inch too short. (or even 1/4" too short -- DAMHIKT)

John B

foggytown wrote:
Dave Balderstone wrote:

In article . com, Ken
wrote:

We all err on occasion, the ones that bother me are the ones I make
over and over again. A cartoon, by Steve Spiro, I saw today reminded me
of one that haunts me again and again. You know the thing on the end of
a tape measure that nobody trusts so we measure starting at the one
ince mark, and then somehow wind up with a piece that is one inch too
short rather than off by 1/64th. I repeat this one regularly. DOH
squared!

Now, there's an idea...

A series of rules and tape measures with the zero mark an inch in from
the end...

Oh, Robin Lee... Paging Mister Rob Lee!

--

Great! Then everything would be cut 1" too long.

FoggyTown

In OZ, we have the "Hundred Mil Trick".
Measuring from the 100mm mark on the tape and...............
you guessed it.

Regards
John
no(SPAM)vasys

Ken wrote:
We all err on occasion, the ones that bother me are the ones I make
over and over again. A cartoon, by Steve Spiro, I saw today reminded me
of one that haunts me again and again. You know the thing on the end of
a tape measure that nobody trusts so we measure starting at the one
ince mark, and then somehow wind up with a piece that is one inch too
short rather than off by 1/64th. I repeat this one regularly. DOH
squared!

Ken

Rather than starting from the one inch mark start from the ten inch
mark. A mismeasurment is a little more noticeable.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)