Norman D. Crow

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message
Hello all,

I was working at the Kitchener Wood Show yesterday and I had a guitar

maker
who needed 14" of resaw, but a small budget. Then it struck me, why not

take
a standard 14" 3/4hp bandsaw, throw a 1.5hp motor and *two* riser kits on
it. This guy only makes about two guitars a year and it would only be used
now and then.

Just how dumb an idea would this be?

I know *someone* has to have tried this...

Are you sure your name isn't "Tim"?

Why not? If everything fit and it all stayed in alignment, should be OK. But
for a "couple guitars per year" why doesn't he just find a local shop who
could do the resaw for him,?

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Swingman

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message
Hello all,

I was working at the Kitchener Wood Show yesterday and I had a guitar

maker
who needed 14" of resaw, but a small budget. Then it struck me, why not

take
a standard 14" 3/4hp bandsaw, throw a 1.5hp motor and *two* riser kits on
it. This guy only makes about two guitars a year and it would only be used
now and then.

Just how dumb an idea would this be?

I know *someone* has to have tried this...

Haven't tried it, but I have seen, in a friend's machine shop, a bandsaw
that has a riser plus a 3" "spacer". My bet is that it wouldn't take much
for a decent machinist to duplicate a 3" spacer with flanges using the riser
as a template.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Buddy Matlosz

"Norman D. Crow" wrote in message

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message
Hello all,

I was working at the Kitchener Wood Show yesterday and I had a guitar

maker
who needed 14" of resaw, but a small budget. Then it struck me, why not

take
a standard 14" 3/4hp bandsaw, throw a 1.5hp motor and *two* riser kits

on
it. This guy only makes about two guitars a year and it would only be

used
now and then.

Just how dumb an idea would this be?

I know *someone* has to have tried this...

Are you sure your name isn't "Tim"?

Nah, Tim would've jacked up one side of his car and stretched a BS blade
between the wheels. ARRH ARRH ARRH!

B.

George

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message
Hello all,

I was working at the Kitchener Wood Show yesterday and I had a guitar

maker
who needed 14" of resaw, but a small budget. Then it struck me, why not

take
a standard 14" 3/4hp bandsaw, throw a 1.5hp motor and *two* riser kits on
it. This guy only makes about two guitars a year and it would only be used
now and then.

Just how dumb an idea would this be?

I know *someone* has to have tried this...

Of course, the safety of the saw would be compromised by the loss of the LH
guards, the resaw capability would be marginal at best do to inadequate
blade tension, and I don't even want to contemplate how slow the feed rate
(and heat buildup) would be.

Other than that, sounds like a foolish idea likely to remodel one's face
with 3 TPI....

Tell him to buy a couple six-packs for someone with a larger saw if he has
to cut 14" boards. Guess that's why most guitars I've seen are bookmatched
pieces.

WillR

George wrote:

Of course, the safety of the saw would be compromised by the loss of the LH
guards, the resaw capability would be marginal at best do to inadequate
blade tension, and I don't even want to contemplate how slow the feed rate
(and heat buildup) would be.

Other than that, sounds like a foolish idea likely to remodel one's face
with 3 TPI....

Tell him to buy a couple six-packs for someone with a larger saw if he has
to cut 14" boards.

Guess that's why most guitars I've seen are bookmatched
pieces.

I haven't seen any that weren't -- assuming acoustic body style that is...

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

Tim Douglass

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 09:50:07 -0500, "Buddy Matlosz"
wrote:

"Norman D. Crow" wrote in message

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message
Hello all,

I was working at the Kitchener Wood Show yesterday and I had a guitar

maker
who needed 14" of resaw, but a small budget. Then it struck me, why not

take
a standard 14" 3/4hp bandsaw, throw a 1.5hp motor and *two* riser kits

on
it. This guy only makes about two guitars a year and it would only be

used
now and then.

Just how dumb an idea would this be?

I know *someone* has to have tried this...

Are you sure your name isn't "Tim"?

Nah, Tim would've jacked up one side of his car and stretched a BS blade
between the wheels. ARRH ARRH ARRH!

Hmmm.... Now that plan has some merit. Plenty of power for just about
any sawing task and tracking is easily adjusted via the steering
wheel. Add in the 5 speed feature (plus reverse if you get a blade
jammed) and I think we can get behind this. I wonder if you would get
better results with very high tire pressure or with lowered pressure?
And tensioning the blade might be a bit problematic - maybe slip the
blade on with the tires flat then add tension via air pressure? I
would want to work with at least a 1 1/2" - 2" blade I think.

Definitely an idea worth wasting some time on.

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 09:59:52 -0500, "George" george@least wrote:

Guess that's why most guitars I've seen are bookmatched
pieces.

I think that mainly it's because bookmatch looks better on a guitar. A
single piece wouldn't visually balance well at all unless you got
really lucky on the grain.

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Cothian

"Buddy Matlosz" wrote in
:

"Norman D. Crow" wrote in message

snippo

Nah, Tim would've jacked up one side of his car and stretched a BS
blade between the wheels. ARRH ARRH ARRH!

B.

Now THERE'S an idea........ ;-)
Robatoy

In article ,
Tim Douglass wrote:

I think that mainly it's because bookmatch looks better on a guitar.

I kinda like one-piece backs... birds-eye maple. Taste is so personal.
You know the birds-eye maple I am talking about? The kind that looks
like it's a 3-d suspension of unobtainium mixed with pearls?

'Twas an old Gibson, I don't recall the model..a jazz-type, smaller than
a CG...looked like it was 12" deep.... just stunning. An impact I hadn't
felt since the first time I laid eyes on Claude Lorraine's Embarkation
Of The Queen Of Sheba at the National in London.

A 9'6" 97-key makassar Bosendorfer leaves an impression as well.

The most beautiful woodwork, in my humble opinion, is found in musical
instruments. Even my simple, US made, Tele is nicely done.

I often think about the likes of Guarneri scraping a new piece for his
next violin as the world went on around him. Looking through his shop
window at the street, he'd see the painters' daughter boiling linseed on
a hot summer day, a bead of sweat on her forehead, her translucent dress
clinging to her in the sunlight, and old Guarneri just scraping and
scraping.....

Holy cow! Look at the time, will ya?

0?0
?

Rob

WillR

wrote:

[...]

I too think there is merit to the concept. I suspect that Red Green
could devote a significant portion of a show to this concept.

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
John Grossbohlin

"Buddy Matlosz" wrote in message

"Norman D. Crow" wrote in message

"David F. Eisan" wrote in message
Hello all,

I was working at the Kitchener Wood Show yesterday and I had a guitar

maker
who needed 14" of resaw, but a small budget. Then it struck me, why not

take
a standard 14" 3/4hp bandsaw, throw a 1.5hp motor and *two* riser kits

on
it. This guy only makes about two guitars a year and it would only be

used
now and then.

Just how dumb an idea would this be?

I know *someone* has to have tried this...

Are you sure your name isn't "Tim"?

Nah, Tim would've jacked up one side of his car and stretched a BS blade
between the wheels. ARRH ARRH ARRH!

When I was a kid a guy down the street, who was a contractor, built a saw
mill behind his barn. He had an automobile engine and transmission mounted
in the front half of a car frame, with the steering assembly fixed in place
by welding, for power. The engine and frame could be moved around as a unit
as it was basically a trailer. His name was Jim... ;-)

John

David F. Eisan wrote:
Hello all,

I was working at the Kitchener Wood Show yesterday and I had a guitar

maker
who needed 14" of resaw, but a small budget. Then it struck me, why

not take
a standard 14" 3/4hp bandsaw, throw a 1.5hp motor and *two* riser

kits on
it. This guy only makes about two guitars a year and it would only be

used
now and then.

Just how dumb an idea would this be?

I know *someone* has to have tried this...

For a couple per year, IMHO, quite dumb.

Googling (actually Altavistaing) for frame saw:

http://www.hyperkitten.com/woodworking/frame_saw.php3

On a related note, is there someone who sells gas-powered horizontal
bandsaws suitable for resawing separate from the portable sawmill
systems?

--

FF

mac davis

wrote:

[...]

maybe I'll try it some night with my neighbors 4x4 toy.. the winch on the front
bumper could be used as a tension er, and the truck might actually get put in
4wd once..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Roy Smith

In article ,
"David F. Eisan" wrote:

I was working at the Kitchener Wood Show yesterday and I had a guitar maker
who needed 14" of resaw, but a small budget. Then it struck me, why not take
a standard 14" 3/4hp bandsaw, throw a 1.5hp motor and *two* riser kits on
it. This guy only makes about two guitars a year and it would only be used
now and then.

Instead of raising the top wheel twice, have you considered raising the top
wheel once and lowering the bottom wheel once? That'll keep the load on
the motor symmetric, and let you use a balanced 220 V circuit without
having to run a neutral wire.

Robatoy

In article ,
WillR wrote:

Definitely an idea worth wasting some time on.

I too think there is merit to the concept. I suspect that Red Green
could devote a significant portion of a show to this concept.

One could use the drive-shaft to power an auto-feed table.
And of you put different diameter whhels on the other side of the car,
front and back, you could resaw to a set thickness. (Tracking would
force you into toe-in adjustments.)

Let's not forget the bumper sticker:

My Other Saw Is A Laguna
Robatoy

In article ,
mac davis wrote:

maybe I'll try it some night with my neighbors 4x4 toy.. the winch on the
front
bumper could be used as a tension er, and the truck might actually get put in
4wd once..

Doesn't that just frost you? My neighbour leaver her Lexus SUV in the
drive and takes her Corolla to work when it snows....WTF???

I bought a new LandCruiser back in '76. My idea of a great weekend, was
to do a couple of thousand dollars worth of damage to the thing. I have
seriously reduced my alcohol intake since then.
Buddy Matlosz

wrote:

[...]

I really think we're onto something here, Tim. I'll start the patent search,
and you get the rest of the group to sign a non-disclosure agreement.

B.

Norman D. Crow

wrote:

[...]

This whole thing reminds me of old pics of Model T jacked up, belt on wheel
to power a saw. Found one I'm posting on a.b.p.w.

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

mac davis

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 18:29:47 -0500, Robatoy wrote:

In article ,
mac davis wrote:

maybe I'll try it some night with my neighbors 4x4 toy.. the winch on the
front
bumper could be used as a tension er, and the truck might actually get put in
4wd once..

Doesn't that just frost you? My neighbour leaver her Lexus SUV in the
drive and takes her Corolla to work when it snows....WTF???

I bought a new LandCruiser back in '76. My idea of a great weekend, was
to do a couple of thousand dollars worth of damage to the thing. I have
seriously reduced my alcohol intake since then.

A couple of the neighbors have $30k to $40K 4x4 pickups with lift kits, big
tires, light bars, winch, etc., etc..... and the only time they go off road is
when they run over their lawn pulling the big suckers into their driveways..

I've got a 2wd Ram 1/2 ton that could almost drive under them that's seen more
mud and dirt than they could carry..

they must be compensating for something...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Duane Bozarth

mac davis wrote:
A couple of the neighbors have $30k to $40K 4x4 pickups with lift kits, big
tires, light bars, winch, etc., etc.....

The local equivalent in the neighborhood when we were in TN (and,
somewhat surprisingly in a subdivision on a pretty steep hillside)
took the brand new one out early one morning after a spot of snow and a
little freezing rain before that. When I left about a half-hour later
after the sun shown for just a few minutes in my '72 Chev 2WD, there the
beastie was upside down in the creek at the bottom of the hill where the
subdivision entrance road made the right angle turn into the entrance
road alongside the crick...
George

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
mac davis wrote:
A couple of the neighbors have $30k to $40K 4x4 pickups with lift kits,

big
tires, light bars, winch, etc., etc.....

The local equivalent in the neighborhood when we were in TN (and,
somewhat surprisingly in a subdivision on a pretty steep hillside)
took the brand new one out early one morning after a spot of snow and a
little freezing rain before that. When I left about a half-hour later
after the sun shown for just a few minutes in my '72 Chev 2WD, there the
beastie was upside down in the creek at the bottom of the hill where the
subdivision entrance road made the right angle turn into the entrance
road alongside the crick...

Folks figure because we average 300" of snow per year we have 4WD vehicles.
We don't, but lots of people do, which is how I meet 'em. I'm on the
ambulance. For instance Saturday, keeping their spine aligned and their
airway open as the FD uses the jaws to gain extrication room from his high
CG, short wheelbase rolling accident.

Trouble is, they may accelerate faster in poor road conditions, they just
don't _stop_ any faster, and roll a h*ll of a lot easier.

Duane Bozarth

George wrote:

Folks figure because we average 300" of snow per year we have 4WD vehicles.
We don't, but lots of people do, which is how I meet 'em. I'm on the
ambulance. For instance Saturday, keeping their spine aligned and their
airway open as the FD uses the jaws to gain extrication room from his high
CG, short wheelbase rolling accident.

Trouble is, they may accelerate faster in poor road conditions, they just
don't _stop_ any faster, and roll a h*ll of a lot easier.

'Xactly...plus, in metro areas at least, it appears a high percentage of
owners/drivers don't have a clue of what they're driving...sorta' like
the many UPS guys I see in the ditches every time there's a little
snow/ice--appears to be something about driving Brown that turns 'em
into idyuts...

4WD here is quite nice when the gravel road to town gets really plowed
up but otherwise for road travel is nearly of no great help as you
note...
George

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

4WD here is quite nice when the gravel road to town gets really plowed
up but otherwise for road travel is nearly of no great help as you
note...

We call spring time the same as the Russians - bezdorozhe - no road time.
Frozen under, mud over, go nowhere.

Keep the rig in two wheel until it gets stuck, then use four to get it out,
is my philosophy. Of course, I've backed through the woods on snowmobile
trails for over a mile on occasion rather than risk finding a turnaround
somewhere beyond.

Badger

Duane Bozarth wrote:

4WD here is quite nice when the gravel road to town gets really plowed
up but otherwise for road travel is nearly of no great help as you
note...

Actually in a lot of the Uk 4x4s with their long travel suspenders and
softer ride than eurobox cars are a much better bet with our rutted,
potholed, sleeping policeman covered streets and roads. Even our
motorways, sort of interstates I suppose, should be in a states (that
bad) are rutted!

Niel.

rockhound wrote:
http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...dsaw_mill.html

Wow.

There's a guy Red Green should have as a guest on his show.

Just needs a little duct tape.

--

FF

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "David F. Eisan"
wrote:

Then it struck me, why not take
a standard 14" 3/4hp bandsaw, throw a 1.5hp motor and *two* riser kits on
it.

Save your money on the riser kits - Get a steel framed saw and weld in
an extension. You'll probably need to thicken up the column too, as a
design that's appropriate at a small height just doesn't cut it when
stretched.

You'll also need to work on the tension spring. The extra length of
blade is more extensible for a given tension, so you'll need a tension
spring with much greater travel. You may need not only a new spring,
but also to re-work the spring carrier to allow more travel.

Steel is your friend here (and a MIG welder), not cast iron. It's not
a job for most woodworkers, but if you're a metal basher it's not too
hard - and plenty of people have done it successfully.

--
Smert' spamionam
mac davis

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 11:27:25 -0600, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

George wrote:

[...]

IMO, what most folks get into trouble with is thinking that since it's a 4x4,
you drive it in 4wd...
4 wheelers with experience will tell you to drive in 2wd and use 4wd if you get
stuck... if you're already in 4x4 low and you get stuck, it's time to get out
the shovels..lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

J. Clarke

wrote:

George wrote:

[...]

That's if you have part time 4wd with no center differential.

if you're already in 4x4 low and you get stuck, it's time
to get out the shovels..lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Norman D. Crow

wrote:

George wrote:

Folks figure because we average 300" of snow per year we have 4WD

vehicles.
We don't, but lots of people do, which is how I meet 'em. I'm on the
ambulance. For instance Saturday, keeping their spine aligned and

their
airway open as the FD uses the jaws to gain extrication room from his

high
CG, short wheelbase rolling accident.

Trouble is, they may accelerate faster in poor road conditions, they

just
don't _stop_ any faster, and roll a h*ll of a lot easier.

My favorite thought is that all those newbie 4x4 drivers seem to think it
makes them "bulletproof", and they usually find out they're not with the
first snowfall.

Makes me remember . . trying to get boat & trailer up mud/gravel drive @
SIL's house, his renter had jacked up F150 w/big mudders, he's rompin' &
stompin', can't get it up the drive. Older friend w/Chev. 1/2T 2WD,
stovebolt 6 & 3 speed hooked on & walked it right up through to where we
wanted it.

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Luigi Zanasi

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 09:37:19 -0800, mac davis
scribbled:

IMO, what most folks get into trouble with is thinking that since it's a 4x4,
you drive it in 4wd...
4 wheelers with experience will tell you to drive in 2wd and use 4wd if you get
stuck... if you're already in 4x4 low and you get stuck, it's time to get out
the shovels..lol

That's why I have a winch.

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 22:34:17 -0800, the inscrutable Luigi Zanasi
spake:

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 09:37:19 -0800, mac davis
scribbled:

IMO, what most folks get into trouble with is thinking that since it's a 4x4,
you drive it in 4wd...
4 wheelers with experience will tell you to drive in 2wd and use 4wd if you get
stuck... if you're already in 4x4 low and you get stuck, it's time to get out
the shovels..lol

That's why I have a winch.

You REALLY shouldn't call her that, WeeGee. duckin, big time

--
Put some color in your cheeks: Garden Naked!
------
Mark & Juanita

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 06:33:30 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 22:34:17 -0800, the inscrutable Luigi Zanasi
spake:

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 09:37:19 -0800, mac davis
scribbled:

IMO, what most folks get into trouble with is thinking that since it's a 4x4,
you drive it in 4wd...
4 wheelers with experience will tell you to drive in 2wd and use 4wd if you get
stuck... if you're already in 4x4 low and you get stuck, it's time to get out
the shovels..lol

That's why I have a winch.

You REALLY shouldn't call her that, WeeGee. duckin, big time

If they can get you out after you get stuck, they must be strong, like
the old Russian women. ;-)

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody

Dave Balderstone

In article , Mark & Juanita
wrote:

If they can get you out after you get stuck, they must be strong, like
the old Russian women. ;-)

Strong like ox, smart like tractor...

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 21:21:45 -0700, the inscrutable Mark & Juanita
spake:

wrote:

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 22:34:17 -0800, the inscrutable Luigi Zanasi
spake:

That's why I have a winch.

You REALLY shouldn't call her that, WeeGee. duckin, big time

If they can get you out after you get stuck, they must be strong, like
the old Russian women. ;-)

Ah, the old "Strong like ox, smart like tractor." ploy, eh?
Good one.

TANSTAAFL: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
http://diversify.com Gourmet Web Applications
==========================
George

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
tone.ca...
In article , Mark & Juanita
wrote:

If they can get you out after you get stuck, they must be strong, like
the old Russian women. ;-)

Strong like ox, smart like tractor...

My economics instructor, a native, had his own theory behind the declining
birthrate in the RSFSR. He reminded us of the true equality for women they
had in the Soviet Union. "Women are truck drivers and lumberjacks. What
would you think of going to bed with a lumberjack?"

Had to admit he had a point, though even the finest-looking urban types lost
a lot of their appeal to this US boy when approached from down wind and to a
point close enough to see the hair that wasn't there on US females. My wife
use to remind me not to mess with the women when I left for trips, but I
told her my firm policy of never dating anything with more hair on its legs
than I had kept me true to her...

Pen kits Bob Darrah Woodturning 3 July 3rd 04 07:31 PM
Finessing a dumb idea; question Pop Rivet Woodworking 4 April 16th 04 02:14 PM
Really Dumb idea, Planing PCB? David F. Eisan Woodworking 3 April 7th 04 03:50 AM