whitsettj

Default 10" Craftsman Contractor Table Saw Model #113.298842

I recently inherited this table saw from my mother. It probably hasn't
been used in 8+ years. I know that the last time it was used, it
worked like a champ. In the process of moving, the movers removed the
belt and motor and reinstalled the motor upside down. The belt is
missing, so I ordered another one. Now, the saw is all put together
and there is one problem. Well, two I guess. When at full RPM, the
saw is making a horribly high pitch sound. What is causing that? The
grease dry out over time? Where do I lube the moving parts? I dont
see grease fittings anywhere. The second problem is, no manual for
saw. Does anyone know where I can track one down? I would like to
know how to maintain this fine saw. Thank you in advance for any help
possible. -Jim

RonB

As far as the sound goes it is hard to tell from the description. Take a
look at pulley alignments on the motor and arbor shaft. If they are way off
you might be getting some belt squeal. Also, does it do in in all height
positions. My old Craftsman used to make noise when you tried to lift to
blade too high. I have never heard of bearings going out on one of these
old saws but I am sure they can.

Go to customer service at http://www3.sears.com/ . They used to be pretty
good at providing .pdf files of manuals for their older equipment. I
downloaded one for a 1950's vintage jointer about one year ago. However, I
see a lot of griping about their parts and service here and at other sites.
Shame. That was a strength for years.

RonB

LRod

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 07:01:44 GMT,
lid (whitsettj) wrote:

I recently inherited this table saw from my mother. It probably hasn't
been used in 8+ years. I know that the last time it was used, it
worked like a champ. In the process of moving, the movers removed the
belt and motor and reinstalled the motor upside down.

It's not possible to install the motor upside down. It can only be
mounted four ways, three of them blatantly obviously wrong (pulley up,
pulley down, pulley left). The fourth way is right.

The belt is missing, so I ordered another one. Now, the saw is all put
together and there is one problem. Well, two I guess. When at full RPM,
the saw is making a horribly high pitch sound. What is causing that?

This is your basic Sears table saw design of some 40 years. This
particular one has a belt guard on the motor. Look at the diagram at
http://www3.sears.com/ (you need that whole part number to access the
diagram) and you will see that there's a circular metal mounting plate
and a plastic shroud that attaches to it. My guess is that there is
some rubbing going on there. Were it me, I'd probably just remove and
toss the guard, having run my Sears saw that way for years.

Also, two other tips whenever trying to sort out a noise problem on a
tool: try rotating the motor/arbor/blade assembly by hand (with the
saw UNPLUGGED). See if you can feel/hear anything anomalous. Second,
remove the blade and run the saw without the blade. Blades contribute
a lot of noise on their own.

The grease dry out over time? Where do I lube the moving parts? I dont
see grease fittings anywhere.

There are no grease points, per se. The bearings are sealed and the
trunnions and movement controls should be dry lubed (to avoid
attracting saw dust).

The second problem is, no manual for saw. Does anyone know where I
can track one down?

The diagrams at the site above will suffice for most of your needs.
Much of the manual is diagrams and parts list which you will get at
the link. There will be some safety instructions. Duh. The rest of the
manual will be general saw operation instructions which aren't even
specific to that model saw. So, go over to http://www.owwm.com and see
what they have for manuals for Sears table saws. Almost anything in
the 113.29xxx range will do it for you.

If all else fails, email me and I will email a PDF file of a 113.29001
(I think) manual. As I said above, the saw is ubiquitous, and anything
close will give you the general idea of the stuff you want to know.
That particular saw (which I no longer have) dates to the late '50s,
early '60s.

I would like to know how to maintain this fine saw.

I have an article on my website regarding the Craftsman saw which may
have some useful information for you.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

On my Mom's similar saw, the arbor pulley can rub on the underside of
the table when the blade is fully raised. See if that's the problem.

Genedoc

Hi Jim,

I have been restoring a Craftsman 100 table saw. You have gotten a lot
of good advice here so far. You may want to check the bearings. Take
the blade off and remove the belt, then just turn the arbor and feel
for any roughness or movement. When I finally got mine all corrected,
there is no slop or play of any kind, just a silkly smooth turning of
the arobr. If you need a new arbor, contact me at
. I have an extra that we can talk about and
it is the same part number that shows up in the "cart" as your model
number (my saw is 113.29991). Good luck. David

Metal Working Machinery New and Used in Australia and for Export [email protected] Metalworking 0 February 23rd 05 02:54 AM
Kohler sink model # riddle [email protected] Home Ownership 2 January 5th 05 11:50 PM
OT drill model number Ron Woodworking 1 December 20th 04 04:30 AM
How do I find the Model No to Proscan 27" TV? need manual lbbs Electronics Repair 5 November 16th 03 06:30 AM
Blue Ridge Machinery model engines Phillip Wu Metalworking 1 August 22nd 03 10:49 AM