anthony Diodati

Default Stanley # 7 blade, lever cap, chip breaker.

I know where there is a # 7 ,actually it is a bailey, but it's missing the
blade, chip breaker and lever cap.
Pretty rough, rusty, but should clean up, will need re japaned or painted,
but I could'nt find any cracks in it, and the mouth is in good shape. Tote
and front knob are in pretty good shape. The sole does not appear to be
twisted as far as I could tell by eye.
What other blade, chip breaker and lever cap's will fit this?
Is it the same as a # 5 Or # 6 ?
Do you think it's worth $15.00?
Thanks, Tony D.

BillyBob

"anthony Diodati" wrote in message
I know where there is a # 7 ,actually it is a bailey, but it's missing the
blade, chip breaker and lever cap.
Pretty rough, rusty, but should clean up, will need re japaned or painted,
but I could'nt find any cracks in it, and the mouth is in good shape. Tote
and front knob are in pretty good shape. The sole does not appear to be
twisted as far as I could tell by eye.
What other blade, chip breaker and lever cap's will fit this?
Is it the same as a # 5 Or # 6 ?
Do you think it's worth $15.00?

What shape is the wood in? If the wood is good, then its definitely worth
$15 for the parts. If the wood is cracked or parts broken, I'd wait and see
what comes up on ebay. You'll spend money for parts and likely not have a
matched set, whereas for a few dollars more you could find a whole one.

Bob

anthony Diodati wrote:

I know where there is a # 7 ,actually it is a bailey, but it's missing the
blade, chip breaker and lever cap.
Pretty rough, rusty, but should clean up, will need re japaned or painted,
but I could'nt find any cracks in it, and the mouth is in good shape. Tote
and front knob are in pretty good shape. The sole does not appear to be
twisted as far as I could tell by eye.
What other blade, chip breaker and lever cap's will fit this?
Is it the same as a # 5 Or # 6 ?
Do you think it's worth $15.00?
Thanks, Tony D.

Hell yes it's worth $15.00. The sole alone, in good shape is
worth that. Electrolytic derusting (Google is your friend)
works great on cast iron soles.

The #7 cutter is 2 3/8" wide, same as the #6. The #4 and #5
are 2" wide. New parts can stil be bought directly from Stanley
(Google this newsgroup for the 800 number). The equivalent
parts from Lie Nielsen should fit too. I suggest you get
the cutter (blade) at least from Ron Hock, Lie Nielsen or
whoever else has a good rep for high quality aftermarket
cutting irons.

Other manufacturers followed the Stanley pattern so closely
that almost certainly the equivalent parts from a Sargent,
Fulton, Millers Falls, Union, Winchester, Keen Kutter,
Ohio Tools (with the possible exception of the tapered cutters),
Dunlop, Record, or Craftsman will fit, even if they look a
bit odd (e.g. you will be creating what is known as a
Frankenplane). Some of those other brands were made by
Stanley.

The cap irons (chip breakers) and lever caps pretty much
have to be interchangeable in order for the cutting irons to
be interchangeable.

Stanley's highly successful line of bench planes all followed
from the design bought from Leonard Bailey. "Bailey" remained
cast onto the Stanley planes for many years under some sort
of arrangement, perhaps similar to the way "Goodrich" still
appears on some tires even though BF Goodrich hasn't made
tires for 20 years or so.

Patrick Leach (Google the web for Leach and Supertools) may
be able to find you original replacement parts, the Sweetheart
cutters (which were laminated) have an excellent reputation.

--

FF

Scraper Plane Edge Prep B_Lerner Woodworking 10 March 25th 05 09:36 PM
Systi-Matic Glue Line Rip blade opinions / reviews Rob Ritch Woodworking 5 March 8th 05 11:18 PM
warped saw blade? GBannish Woodworking 3 January 11th 05 04:31 PM
can a circuit re-enter the breaker box? wahzoo Home Repair 5 January 6th 04 03:46 PM