Andy Dingley wrote:
On 5 Sep 2005 11:25:26 -0700, wrote:

The #7 cutter is 2 3/8" wide, same as the #6.

Also the #4 1/2 and the #5 1/2.

The later models, yes. At least one of those two had a smaller
cutter in the earlier models, I forget which and how much smaller
(2 1/4" I think) but I have one of those somewhere. Probably it
(they) was (were) resized to match the #6 and #7 for economy of
scale.

If the base is usable and the frog is intact, then snap it up. Even if
you cannibalise an entire smoother to make a good jointer plane, then
it's still a bargain.

Hmm the only smoother you could do this with would be a #4 1/2
which is typically more desireable than a #7! The knobs are
pretty much interchangeable but the totes on the #5 and up
are different having a second screw in them, than on the #4
and below. I do not remember if the tote on the #4 1/2 has
the second screw or not.

--

FF