george

Default Porter-Cable 8501 question for electrical engineers / technicians / electricians only

I have a PC 8501 battery charger that is having some problems and was
wondering if someone technically capable (i.e., I don't want anyone to get
hurt) has an operating one that they can open up and check two components
for me. Mine has a voltage regulator that is blasted apart in the middle
(where the component identifier is) and a high(er) power resistor that is
burned and scorched beyond recognition. If anyone can identify these two
components, I'd appreciate it (and I can repair my charger). The voltage
regulator is a three terminal device that looks like a TO-220 package and
the resistor looks like it is (was?) about 2-3 Watts but cannot read the
color bands. I'd rather know what was really in there rather than taking a
best guess.

TIA,
George

HMFIC-1369

Hmm, you don't know what your doing, but want to fix it?

What was the cause? Battery shorted out?

First off if your looking at reverse engineer a battery charger, it's a 12v
charger... Go to Radio Shack, or download a 12v regulator data sheet and
rebuild it off of that. The Data sheets will give you all the specs you need
to build around it and the Battery's spec too. I doubt Porter Cable will
give up the chip. Is the
Transformer Ok? Caps Ok?
unless you know what smoked it and corrected that first the rest is futile.
Either build a new one from scratch or buy a new/used one.

"george" wrote in message
I have a PC 8501 battery charger that is having some problems and was
wondering if someone technically capable (i.e., I don't want anyone to get
hurt) has an operating one that they can open up and check two components
for me. Mine has a voltage regulator that is blasted apart in the middle
(where the component identifier is) and a high(er) power resistor that is
burned and scorched beyond recognition. If anyone can identify these two
components, I'd appreciate it (and I can repair my charger). The voltage
regulator is a three terminal device that looks like a TO-220 package and
the resistor looks like it is (was?) about 2-3 Watts but cannot read the
color bands. I'd rather know what was really in there rather than taking

best guess.

TIA,
George

george

"HMFIC-1369" wrote in message
Hmm, you don't know what your doing, but want to fix it?

I cannot READ the markings on the parts (and the batteries in the charger
are unmarked
so I'd have to guestimate a charge rate). I AM an electrical engineer.
Currently I am
studying for a state exam and do not have the time to buzz this thing out
and reverse
engineer it (not my first choice even if I did have time). Thanks for your
concern...
MOST people shouldn't be doing this.

What was the cause? Battery shorted out?

Yep, and it has been recycled.

First off if your looking at reverse engineer a battery charger, it's a
12v
charger... Go to Radio Shack, or download a 12v regulator data sheet and
rebuild it off of that. The Data sheets will give you all the specs you
need
to build around it and the Battery's spec too.

I know that...there are numerous +12V regulators (and adjustable ones too)
with various current output capabilities. It would be REAL useful to know
the markings on the regulator so I can find the OEM specs of it or an
equivalent.
Unfortunately, the batteries are also unmarked (yes, I know they are 10 x
1.2V
NiCad and are old technology NiCads at that). Once again, it'd be nice to
know
their storage capacity. (BTW, I try to never shop at "Radio Shaft".)

I doubt Porter Cable will
give up the chip. Is the
Transformer Ok? Caps Ok?

See below. Yep. Yep.

unless you know what smoked it and corrected that first the rest is
futile.
Either build a new one from scratch or buy a new/used one.

Most of the above, I didn't feel I needed to explain to the group as I
wasn't
asking for help in diagnosing a problem, only information on a couple of
parts.
As for buying a replacement, they are not available new...haven't seen one
used
on eBay...but $2 parts cost sounds a lot better than $60 replacement cost
plus
it would keep this out of a landfill somewhere (electronic products contain
lead and other toxic chemicals).

"george" wrote in message
I have a PC 8501 battery charger that is having some problems and was
wondering if someone technically capable (i.e., I don't want anyone to
get
hurt) has an operating one that they can open up and check two components
for me. Mine has a voltage regulator that is blasted apart in the middle
(where the component identifier is) and a high(er) power resistor that is
burned and scorched beyond recognition. If anyone can identify these two
components, I'd appreciate it (and I can repair my charger). The voltage
regulator is a three terminal device that looks like a TO-220 package and
the resistor looks like it is (was?) about 2-3 Watts but cannot read the
color bands. I'd rather know what was really in there rather than taking

best guess.

TIA,
George

HMFIC-1369

First learn from your mistakes, you have a smoked charger, because of poor
design. should have smoked a fuse. Why rebuild a smoker. and if your an EE,
the time to design a new one was wasted on the email.......

"george" wrote in message
[...]

george

"HMFIC-1369" wrote in message

First learn from your mistakes,(sic) you(sic) have a smoked charger,(sic)
because of poor
design. (It - sic) should have smoked a fuse. Why rebuild a smoker.(sic)
and(sic) if your(sic) an EE,
the time to design a new one was wasted on the email (sic-it's a newsgroup
post).......(sic-three periods
constitute an elipses)

How's it MY mistake to get the charger that the drill/driver is sold with?
And,
how is figuring out the required specs a waste of time? Now, either
contribute
useful info or move on.

George

HMFIC-1369

Move this faggot! **** off ****head....... your a lying sack of ****,
because any EE knows better..............

your just trying to get someone else to do your dirty work for you you cheap
piece of **** (sic) this asswipe!

"george" wrote in message

"HMFIC-1369" wrote in message

First learn from your mistakes,(sic) you(sic) have a smoked

charger,(sic)
because of poor
design. (It - sic) should have smoked a fuse. Why rebuild a smoker.(sic)
and(sic) if your(sic) an EE,
the time to design a new one was wasted on the email (sic-it's a

newsgroup
post).......(sic-three periods
constitute an elipses)

How's it MY mistake to get the charger that the drill/driver is sold with?
And,
how is figuring out the required specs a waste of time? Now, either
contribute
useful info or move on.

George

Unquestionably Confused

HMFIC-1369 wrote:
Move this faggot! **** off ****head....... your a lying sack of ****,
because any EE knows better..............

your just trying to get someone else to do your dirty work for you you cheap
piece of **** (sic) this asswipe!

Jeez, get a grip! All George asked for was parts identification from a
similar unit. What prompts this sort of response?

Does your Mommy know you're up playing with the computer this late?

She probably wouldn't care if you'd just spend the time reading some
books on grammar.

I know, I know. You're next comment will be "**** Grammar!"

So be it, but tell us. Did she enjoy it?

HMFIC-1369

Did you know your Mother swallows?

He's a lying sack of **** and your what his clean up boy?

Try alt.grammar.anal.inbreeders

Not impressed kid! With either of you asswipes!

"Unquestionably Confused" wrote in message
m...
HMFIC-1369 wrote:
Move this faggot! **** off ****head....... your a lying sack of ****,
because any EE knows better..............

your just trying to get someone else to do your dirty work for you you

cheap
piece of **** (sic) this asswipe!

Jeez, get a grip! All George asked for was parts identification from a
similar unit. What prompts this sort of response?

Does your Mommy know you're up playing with the computer this late?

She probably wouldn't care if you'd just spend the time reading some
books on grammar.

I know, I know. You're next comment will be "**** Grammar!"

So be it, but tell us. Did she enjoy it?

Unquestionably Confused

HMFIC-1369 wrote:
Did you know your Mother swallows?

He's a lying sack of **** and your what his clean up boy?

Try alt.grammar.anal.inbreeders

Not impressed kid! With either of you asswipes!

Thanks for proving the point.

HMFIC-1369

Pat yourself on the back kid....

See what you and your stupid little friend the pretend EE are to stupid to
see. It's so easy niether of you can figure it out, but boy you both are so
full of **** and sarcasm......He thinks he's sharp, but can't figure out his
own problem BWAHAHAHAHA. A kid with High School Electronics could even give
him the Chip and the Resistor......even just a plain ol 'smart kid could
figure it out...

Now Morons How many manufacturers make 12V reg's????

But both of you couldn't make two cents together.... Posting
question for electrical engineers / technicians / electricians only

To Rec.woodworking!!!!! BWAHAHAHAHA

ROTFLMAO!

So brown eye's what do you get when your full of ****?????

Exactly!

"Unquestionably Confused" wrote in message
news
HMFIC-1369 wrote:
Did you know your Mother swallows?

He's a lying sack of **** and your what his clean up boy?

Try alt.grammar.anal.inbreeders

Not impressed kid! With either of you asswipes!

Thanks for proving the point.

george

HMFIC-1369 wrote:
Move this faggot! **** off ****head....... your a lying sack of ****,
because any EE knows better..............

your just trying to get someone else to do your dirty work for you you
cheap
piece of **** (sic) this asswipe!

Jeez, get a grip! All George asked for was parts identification from a
similar unit. What prompts this sort of response?

Quite a history of bitter responses and original postings:
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q...005&safe=of f
Too bad...really should get some help and start enjoying life again.

HMFIC-1369

**** offffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

HMFIC-1369 wrote:
Move this faggot! **** off ****head....... your a lying sack of ****,
because any EE knows better..............

your just trying to get someone else to do your dirty work for you you
cheap
piece of **** (sic) this asswipe!

Jeez, get a grip! All George asked for was parts identification from a
similar unit. What prompts this sort of response?

Quite a history of bitter responses and original postings:

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q...epq=&as_oq= &
as_eq=&as_ugroup=&as_usubject=&as_uauthors=HMFIC-1369&lr=&as_drrb=q&as_qdr=&
as_mind=1&as_minm=1&as_miny=1981&as_maxd=6&as_maxm =9&as_maxy=2005&safe=off
Too bad...really should get some help and start enjoying life again.

Posted to rec.woodworking
george

Default Porter-Cable 8501 question.... *PICS*

I don't know why I was unable to retrieve your message prior to today...but
THANK YOU VERY MUCH. You've answered all my questions on the charger. Much
of my charger's components are unreadable!

Thanks again,
George

"T. Crist" wrote in message
I dissected an old charger I have and found that the resistor is color
coded orange-orange-black-gold. Sorry, I've forgotten my color code
numbers. The regulator has #S4003LS2 on it the letters MEX and a mfg.
symbol that looks like a "T" with a crooked top. Hope this helps.
Pictures attached.

Tom