Brian Mahaney

Default Estimating BF in a pile of lumber

Hello,

I have a lead on some low priced lumber. There is quite a bit, and I am
not used to purchasing in large quantities. I am told there is about 600
BF of one species and 2,500 BF of another. I want to be sure those numbers
are accurate before I make a purchase. If the piles are neatly stacked,
with little space between them, I can measure length, width, and height and
simply do the math. If is neatly stickered, I can probably make a
reasonable guess about that too. What I want to know is how this is done
by those of you who have done it. Are there any factors that you use to
adjust the amount to get it more accurate? For example, do you make a
rough measure of the size of the pile and do something like take off 10%
for airspace? Any advice would probably be helpful.

Thanks,
Brian
George

"Brian Mahaney" wrote in message
.. .
Hello,

I have a lead on some low priced lumber. There is quite a bit, and I am
not used to purchasing in large quantities. I am told there is about 600
BF of one species and 2,500 BF of another. I want to be sure those
numbers
are accurate before I make a purchase. If the piles are neatly stacked,
with little space between them, I can measure length, width, and height
and
simply do the math. If is neatly stickered, I can probably make a
reasonable guess about that too. What I want to know is how this is done
by those of you who have done it. Are there any factors that you use to
adjust the amount to get it more accurate? For example, do you make a
rough measure of the size of the pile and do something like take off 10%
for airspace? Any advice would probably be helpful.

If the boards are of equal length, measure the total in a tier which has a
larger number of narrower boards and multiply the BF of that tier by the
number of tiers. That favors you. The seller might want an average of two
or three tiers.

Duane Bozarth

Brian Mahaney wrote:

Hello,

I have a lead on some low priced lumber. There is quite a bit, and I am
not used to purchasing in large quantities. I am told there is about 600
BF of one species and 2,500 BF of another. I want to be sure those numbers
are accurate before I make a purchase. If the piles are neatly stacked,
with little space between them, I can measure length, width, and height and
simply do the math. If is neatly stickered, I can probably make a
reasonable guess about that too. What I want to know is how this is done
by those of you who have done it. Are there any factors that you use to
adjust the amount to get it more accurate? For example, do you make a
rough measure of the size of the pile and do something like take off 10%
for airspace? Any advice would probably be helpful.

As George says, take a look at how it's stacked and make some
measurements on "average-looking" rows. Assuming the seller isn't out
to swindle you, you'll probably find his estimates are pretty good.
And, if it's a good price per bd ft, why haggle over a few feet? Get a
reasonable estimate and be a reasonable purchaser, not a nit-picker.

I bought a lot of lumber from small mills and individuals over the
years--most of the time you make a new useful acquaintance that will
stand you in stead for a long time if you are considerate of his
position as well.

IMO, YMMV, $0.02, etc., ...
Duane Bozarth

Duane Bozarth wrote:

Brian Mahaney wrote:

Hello,

I have a lead on some low priced lumber. There is quite a bit, and I am
not used to purchasing in large quantities. ...

I intended to add that what I would look at even more than the actual
amount is to try to get a feel for the overall quality. I'm assuming
this is "tree-run" not, graded? If so, the amount per board foot of
furniture-grade lumber may be more nearly what you would normally pay.

That's not intended as a condemnation, simply an observation that if
you're not used to buying bulk lumber you may not have considered.

hth...
Brian Mahaney

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:08:55 GMT, Brian Mahaney wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the responses. They will be helpful. I have no reason to
believe the seller is out to take me, but I like to know what I am getting
into. I don't know whether the lumber is graded or log run or what.
That's a good question. Either way, the price looks very good.

Thanks again,
Brian

Duane Bozarth

Brian Mahaney wrote:

[...]

Out of curiousity, what is it? Species and dimensions, how cut,
etc.,...?

Let us know how it turns out...good luck.
Patriarch

Brian Mahaney wrote in
:
snip
Thanks for the responses. They will be helpful. I have no reason to
believe the seller is out to take me, but I like to know what I am
getting into. I don't know whether the lumber is graded or log run or
what. That's a good question. Either way, the price looks very good.

That's the real question: The grade will determine whether you have
useable cabinet raw materials, or awkwardly cut firewood.

Patriarch