Cyrille de Brébisson

Default dw735 thikness planner: new vs reconditionned

hello,

I am an occasional woodworker and want to buy a planner, and I was told that
the dw735 was THE way to go...

this units runs in the $500 new or $320 factory reconditioned...

I was wondering what the difference was and if it was a good idea to save
the money (for some of the accessories for example) and get the
reconditioned one...

from the reviews that I read, it looks that in both cases, peoples are
having issues with the unit every once in a while...

regards, cyrille

Tom

I have purchased several reconditioned tools from different manufacturers
with good results.

Reconditioned usually means the tool was returned after some or no use and
sent back to the factory to be checked out and re-certified.

These tools can't be sold as new but in my expierence are as good or better.

They usually carry the same warranty as new.

"Cyrille de Brébisson" wrote in message
hello,

I am an occasional woodworker and want to buy a planner, and I was told
that the dw735 was THE way to go...

this units runs in the $500 new or $320 factory reconditioned...

I was wondering what the difference was and if it was a good idea to save
the money (for some of the accessories for example) and get the
reconditioned one...

from the reviews that I read, it looks that in both cases, peoples are
having issues with the unit every once in a while...

regards, cyrille

Rick Samuel

Bought a factory recond. DW 625 plunge router. Liked it a bunch. One year
warranty. Maybe 10 total hours. Fried the speed control. router was $125.
Speed control is $82. with 30 days warranty. I install. One year if they
install, $102 for that. A new 625 is $200. Referb just doesn't seem to
add up.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Cyrille de Brébisson" wrote in message
hello,

I am an occasional woodworker and want to buy a planner, and I was told
that the dw735 was THE way to go...

this units runs in the $500 new or $320 factory reconditioned...

I was wondering what the difference was and if it was a good idea to save
the money (for some of the accessories for example) and get the
reconditioned one...

from the reviews that I read, it looks that in both cases, peoples are
having issues with the unit every once in a while...

regards, cyrille

Ever wonder why the outlet stores have a large stack of reconditioned
tools? Well, many are not reconditioned but are brand new, just like the
higher priced ones. Manufacturers can **** off their dealers if they sell
the same exact item less than they can sell it for. "thus, the
"reconditioned" markings. This has been done for decades in the clothing
industry selling "irregulars" where you cannot find any defect.

Check the warranty. If it is the same or close, save a few bucks.

Unquestionably Confused

Rick Samuel wrote:
Bought a factory recond. DW 625 plunge router. Liked it a bunch. One year
warranty. Maybe 10 total hours. Fried the speed control. router was $125.
Speed control is $82. with 30 days warranty. I install. One year if they
install, $102 for that. A new 625 is $200. Referb just doesn't seem to
add up.

Does not compute.

Refurbished or new carry a 1 year warranty, correct?

You use it about ten hours in what appears to be more than a year before
it craps out.

What it costs for you to repair out of warranty should not enter into
the equation of whether or not refurbished is equal to or better than new.

The problem you describe would have resulted in the same situation had
the subject plunge router been a brand new one.

As the other poster mentioned, my take on refurbished power tools _by a
reputable manufacturer_ is that the refurb, cosmetic defects
notwithstanding, is likely a better product due to the "personal care"
placed on it when it's refurbished vs. the spot checking likely to be
done on the regular assembly line.

This assumes, of course, the same warranty.

I just bought the close quarter 3/8" Milwaukee variable speed, reversing
drill from Toolking.com after seeing it mentioned here. Paid about 47
cents on the dollar for it and received what appears to be a brand new
unit with a full warranty. Cosmetically perfect, works like a charm.
If it dies within the year they fix it. If I'd bought new and it died
within a year, they'd fix it. The difference? What I paid.

TWS

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 20:27:31 GMT, "Cyrille de Brébisson"
wrote:

hello,

I am an occasional woodworker and want to buy a planner, and I was told that
the dw735 was THE way to go...

this units runs in the $500 new or $320 factory reconditioned...

I was wondering what the difference was and if it was a good idea to save
the money (for some of the accessories for example) and get the
reconditioned one...

from the reviews that I read, it looks that in both cases, peoples are
having issues with the unit every once in a while...

regards, cyrille

In my experience, with a Dewalt 12 SCMS, the tool is as good as new
and Dewalt honors the warranty in the same way. Dewalt does brand the
reconditioned tool with an "R" but this is probably just to keep that
tool from being 'reconditioned' again if it is returned. I'd buy a
Dewalt reconditioned again.

TWS
Andy

I got a reconditioned Dewalt DW618 router, and it has served me very
well. The only way I could tell it wasn't brand new was a little scuff
on one of the handles. If it were up to me, I'd definitely go with the
reconditioned one.
Andy

wood planner Evon Woodworking 22 June 29th 05 02:41 AM
Planner advise Alexander Galkin Woodworking 1 November 26th 04 02:28 PM
dw735 planer without extension tables igor Woodworking 4 November 23rd 04 07:23 AM