C Ferg

Default Addendum to my router question

I guess i posted before i finished...sorry was late at night. The main
reason for me asking is that I know nothing about routers...how to use
them, whether to get a table , etc. So I didn't want to spend a fortune
on a tool that I may never develop a talent for using or even like using
(however, I doubt that I will dislike it). I appreciate everyone's input
and will take all advice into consideration when I go to buy one. My
other question then would be, can I get a decent one at Lowes/Home Depot
stores, or will i have to go to a Rockler/Woodcraft type store? Thanks
again for the help and advice from a true novice. Ferg

http://community.webtv.net/Ferg_/Fergsoutdoor

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

C Ferg wrote:
other question then would be, can I get a decent one at Lowes/Home Depot
stores, or will i have to go to a Rockler/Woodcraft type store? Thanks
again for the help and advice from a true novice.

Sure. I bought a Porter Cable 690 with both the fixed and plunge bases at Home
Depot a couple of years ago for use as a hand held unit. I have a Porter Cable
7518 mounted in a table but that's a bit too heavy for hand held use IMO.

The 690 is a fine unit that should allow you to do most things.

There's always a balancing act between price / horsepower / weight.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Bruce Barnett

"HMFIC - 1369" PRC- writes:

first buy a book..... then take an evening course at your local High School
or College in wood working.

Ditto. A book is much cheaper that a router, and it will give you
confidence and help you make a better decision, and teach you more
about what it can do, and what you can expect. AND SAFETY!

Think about three modes of operation:

Hand operated (D Handle or 2-ball)
Plunge
Table Mounted

Each method has advantages and disadvantages. Until you read more
about how to use one, you may end up buying the wrong one at first.
Do you know if you need a plunge or not? If you are not sure, get a book.
Go to a bookstore and browse through the DIY section.

I and others mention Porter Cable. The 69X series (690/691/693/694/etc) is
a good flexible platform. You can buy the basic one, and add the
plunge base, the table later.

The cheapest on Amazon is the
Porter-Cable 690LR 1-3/4 HP Router for $123
For $180 you can get a plunge base as well.
(It lists for $80 if you buy it separately, so it's $57 instead of $80
if you buy the kit - saving $23)

I would NOT get the 0100 router. It's $168, 7/8 HP, and only has 1/4"
collet.

BTW - I mentioned the 691W Router workshop for $310. This does NOT
come with the plunge base. When I bought the equivalent, I got three
different bases. This new package has legs for the table, which I
didn't get. The package I bought years ago no longer seems to be
available.

Newbie router question [email protected] Woodworking 14 February 27th 05 02:38 AM
Best modern Router table Router? [email protected] Woodworking 21 February 24th 05 06:01 AM
Router Question buck Woodworking 11 September 15th 04 01:09 AM
An Ultimate Router Table - Part I: A Short Story Unisaw A100 Woodworking 15 August 4th 04 10:43 PM
Question about using a router PoP UK diy 6 January 5th 04 01:20 PM