Jon Shelley

Default Bandsaw assembly

This seems so obvious that I can't imagine others haven't done it, but while
researching bandsaws in the google archives, I saw many posts where people had
problems putting the frame up on the stand and needing 2-3 people to help. So
I thought at least a few people would benefit from this procedure. I just put
together my Ridgid bandsaw and was able to do it easily on my own.

Basically, I just left the frame sitting horizontally on it's side in the box.
I removed all the other parts, and cut off the side of the box and the packing
which would be below the frame if it were standing up. I then assembled the
stand and laid it horizontally on the floor next to the bottom of the frame,
which was now peaking out of the box. I had to prop the frame up a little by
putting some twoby's underneath the remains of the box, then was able to line
up the holes in the stand with the bottom of the frame. Then I just tightened
the bolts horizontally.

I walked around the saw, tilted it up from the top, and it went right up. I
was worried about tilting it like that because I didn't know if two legs
diagonally would support the frame whlie it was going up, but there really was
no problem and it felt sturdy the whole time. Took almost no effort at all.

Jon

mac davis

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 00:32:23 GMT, (Jon Shelley) wrote:

[...]

I considered doing just that with my Rigid, since the instructions say GET
HELP..*g*

My concern was alignment, but I guess that it could be re-alighned after you
stood the assembled unit up..
I decided to leave the box in the truck during assembly and put the beast
together next to the tail gate... worked pretty good when it was time to put the
top assembly on, since it was just a matter of sliding it over and lifting a few
inches..

NOTE: if you're working alone, use a board or block to support the blade guide
side, so that the side that the bolt is in is level, or have a third hand..
DAMHIK

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Charlie Self

Tina wrote:
[...]

Actually, this info helps not at all with the Jet 16", which is a
European pattern unit, not a two part unit with a cast iron top. Your
Jet will come almost completely assembled, except possible for the
table and the motor (the motor will probably already be mounted, but
may not). It will arrive standing up, and if it doesn't, you had better
talk to the shipper. All you should need to do is install the table
(and, maybe, the motor). No lifting of heavy items is needed (not that
the table and motor are light, but in cast iron bandsaws, the upper,
cast iron, part is much heavier than the lower stand).

dicko

On 19 Aug 2005 11:17:05 -0700, "Charlie Self"
wrote:

Tina wrote:
[...]

I just assembled my Jet 16" bandsaw.

It came lying down.
It came with a big dent in the upper door.
The motor is already attached.
You have to attach the table
You have to unbolt the plywood shipping base
You have to bolt on two cast iron feet about 2 inches tall.
Its easy (but not real easy) to stand the saw upright yourself and
tilt it to fasten the feet.

Overall, 6 bolts and its assembled. 2 on the table, 4 on the feet.

dickm

Tina

wrote:

Tina wrote:
[...]

Well my neighbor and I (mostly him) assembed the jet 16' in about an hour,
came on a pallet lying on it's side, styrofoam and box, motor was mounted,
only thing we did was put the feet on, stand it up, and assemble the table
and fence...works like a champ and is sooooooooooooooo quiet, gonna get a
rubber matt to put under it to take out more vibration, it was level and
plumb to boot! and I had free delivery to the inside of my garage! Empire
machinery is where I bought my from. I couldn't be happier!

Tina