Charlie Self

Tina wrote:
Thanks for that post...I plan with a neighbor to get my New Jet 16" bandsaw
assembled this weekend and this info helps
Tina

"Jon Shelley" wrote in message
. ..
This seems so obvious that I can't imagine others haven't done it, but

while
researching bandsaws in the google archives, I saw many posts where people

had
problems putting the frame up on the stand and needing 2-3 people to help.

So
I thought at least a few people would benefit from this procedure. I just

put
together my Ridgid bandsaw and was able to do it easily on my own.

Basically, I just left the frame sitting horizontally on it's side in the

box.
I removed all the other parts, and cut off the side of the box and the

packing
which would be below the frame if it were standing up. I then assembled

the
stand and laid it horizontally on the floor next to the bottom of the

frame,
which was now peaking out of the box. I had to prop the frame up a little

by
putting some twoby's underneath the remains of the box, then was able to

line
up the holes in the stand with the bottom of the frame. Then I just

tightened
the bolts horizontally.

I walked around the saw, tilted it up from the top, and it went right up.

was worried about tilting it like that because I didn't know if two legs
diagonally would support the frame whlie it was going up, but there really

was
no problem and it felt sturdy the whole time. Took almost no effort at

all.

Jon

Actually, this info helps not at all with the Jet 16", which is a
European pattern unit, not a two part unit with a cast iron top. Your
Jet will come almost completely assembled, except possible for the
table and the motor (the motor will probably already be mounted, but
may not). It will arrive standing up, and if it doesn't, you had better
talk to the shipper. All you should need to do is install the table
(and, maybe, the motor). No lifting of heavy items is needed (not that
the table and motor are light, but in cast iron bandsaws, the upper,
cast iron, part is much heavier than the lower stand).