Default Okay, here's the deal on the JDS Dust-Force

In a previous post two days ago, I spoke of the difference in the
advertised specs vs. the specs in the manual on the JDS Dust-Force dust
collector.

I spoke with the owner of JDS on the phone today, and he explained the
issue.

Woodcraft and Amazon are advertising the specs on the machine as
equipped with the standard 30-micron bag, but the version they are
selling has a 1-micron bag upgrade. This upgrades filtration but
degrades airflow performance. JDS has given them the new specs for the
1-micron bag...they are just not using them.

The proper specs are as follows:

30-micron bag:
1250 CFM
12" static pressure

1-micron bag:
1115 CFM
7.2" static pressure

Woodcraft and Amazon took the best specs for both and combined them.
Nice.

As to the db rating (87 vs. 77), he said the proper figure is 77, and
that the manual has a misprint. (I think I believe him here, too,
because the first shipment of motors had current draw of 24 amps
stamped on the motor plate.)

While I am still not particularly happy with my transaction, my beef
lies with Woodcraft, not JDS.

Yeah...the static pressure really gets hammered with the felt bag.
They do sell a 1-micron canister filter, and he said that will help
regain some of the airflow and pressure.

I've now assembled the unit, but don't yet have it hooked up to any
tools as I haven't figured out all my placement/portablilty issues.

Interestingly enough, though, I thought I'd see how much
airflow/pressure I would lose by stepping down to my 2 1/2" Shop-Vac
hose...roughly 6 - 8 ft long. I knew I would lose some...just curious
to see how much.

If you can imagine a dog trying to drink a coke through a straw, you
are halfway there.

JDS dust collector review Slowhand Woodworking 4 January 7th 05 10:59 PM
How to Put 6" Duct to 1.5 HP Dust Collector? Jay Chan Woodworking 17 March 16th 04 04:11 PM
Recommend Ducting For JET 1.5 HP Canister Dust Collector Jay Chan Woodworking 2 March 12th 04 08:22 PM
Dust Collection Bob Davis Woodworking 13 January 3rd 04 10:38 PM
Ambient air cleaners Sir Edgar Woodworking 15 August 12th 03 02:34 PM