Jon Shelley

Default Ridgid Clearance

Don't know if it's happening at all the Orange Borg's, but I was at a Home
Depot in Raleigh, NC today(Strickland Rd) and they were clearance-ing all the
Ridgid Jointers, Bandsaws, and Drill Presses. I walked away with the Bandsaw
for $279(normally $399).

I know that BS1400 has gotten mixed reviews, but I figure that for the price,
I can upgrade it easily and have myself a nice little machine. So, this is a
minor gloat:-)

By the way, this is the same Borg where I picked up a Delta contractor's saw
for $198 on clearance a few months back. Ah, there are SOME good things about
that place!

Jon
gw

"Jon Shelley" wrote in message
. ..
Jon.. I have the same saw, and the group here says that it's the same as

the
Grizzly... I believe it, since I bought the griz riser kit and it went in
easily
and works well... and was less than 1/2 the price of the Rigid riser

kit....

Yep, I've read that here before, it's a great tip. But I haven't seen

anybody
discuss whether they've been able to resaw over 6" with the original 3/4

HP
motor? I was expecting I'd have to put in a 1 or 1 1/2, which is perfectly
reasonable considering what I paid for it.

Jon

I have personally done the upgrade from 3/4 to 1 HP on this saw. You will
not regret it. With the original motor, I was having trouble resawing 3"
birch with a Timberwolf 3/4" 4 TPI blade. I changed to a 1 HP and resized
the pulleys to increase blade speed to about 3200 fps. I think stock is
about 2700. It will now resaw at full capacity with no problem.

mac davis

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 02:01:09 GMT, (Jon Shelley) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 00:53:32 GMT,
(Jon Shelley)
wrote:

[...]

I don't do much resawing, but I cut a lot of bowl blanks, mostly in the 4" to 8"
thickness range, and sometimes square off a blank face that might be 10+"...
It isn't going to slice it like butter, but if you're patient and don't force
the saw, it works well for the cost..

BTW: speaking of cost, the shop that makes my blades charges about a buck more
for a 105" blade than they did for 93.5"...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Jon Shelley

In article , "gw" wrote:

[...]

That's interesting, thanks. I didn't even realize increasing the blade speed
allowed you to cut thicker boards. My bandsaw handbook is on it's way from
Amazon, I need to read up.

Jon
gw

"Jon Shelley" wrote in message
news
In article , "gw"

wrote:

[...]

I should probably also add that I changed a 3/4 HP 1725RPM motor for a 1 HP
3450RPM motor, and re-sized the pulleys accordingly. I don't know what
effect - if any - the higher RPM motor has on the added performance.

Jon Shelley wrote:
Don't know if it's happening at all the Orange Borg's, but I was at a Home
Depot in Raleigh, NC today(Strickland Rd) and they were clearance-ing all the
Ridgid Jointers, Bandsaws, and Drill Presses. I walked away with the Bandsaw
for $279(normally $399).

Does that include the stand?

I saw the BS1400 today at HD for $349, don;t know if that includes the
stand.

--

FF

FS: Ridgid Equipment 4SimplerTimes Woodworking 0 July 11th 05 08:15 PM
Griz riser kit in Ridgid band saw mac davis Woodturning 2 February 25th 05 04:39 PM
Ridgid ROS 2610 Modification. Robatoy Woodworking 3 January 21st 05 11:22 AM
Cordless drills Alan Woodworking 33 November 21st 03 07:12 PM
The New Ridgid power tool Warranty Leon Woodworking 0 November 3rd 03 07:27 PM