J T

Default THREE-POINT HYDROPLANE

http://www.popularmechanics.com/outd...tml?page=1&c=y

JOAT
My son is an HONOR TEENAGER
at the county jail.
- Seen on a bumpr sticker

Pop

Neat; built one almost exactly like that as a kid except it was
more closed and you knelt about dead center in it. Powered it
with a 12 hp Sea King from Montgomery Wards. Getting started
meant a jump for the bow when you hit the power, but soon as it
planed, it was a real screamer!
Bounced it off a wake once and landed a little sideways,
ripping off a fin and had a real fun time getting 'her stopped!
But it never sank! Replaced the fin & promptl drove it over a
sunken dock (high water level), ripping a foot long gash in the
bottom about three inches from my knee. I had to retire it after
that, but what great summers it gave us!

What's you point?

Pop

"J T" wrote in message
:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/outd...tml?page=1&c=y
:
:
:
: JOAT
: My son is an HONOR TEENAGER
: at the county jail.
: - Seen on a bumpr sticker
:

Sam

Here's some more....Sam
http://www.svensons.com/boat/

My dad was a builder and cabinet maker and was a lifelong subscriber
to PM. Almost every winter when things were slow, we'd build a boat
from PM plans. We built probably a half dozen hydroplanes from flat
bottoms to setp bottoms to 3-point style plus a bunch of utilities and
runabouts. We usually made full-size frame patterns out of brown
kraft paper, and sometimes we'd re-size the boat and make it smaller
or larger to deal with bigger or smaller motors. He had a friend that
tuned and raced midgets, and he was also locally noted for "souping
up" ordinary outboard motors. My favorite was a 10HP Mercury
Hurricane with a quicksilver lower unit, although we once had a
Mercury Mark 20H which was a little bigger. The biggest we ever ran
was an old Evinrude SpeediFour that also had a quicksilver type lower
unit. One of those hydros I think we clocked at around 65 mph on
barnegat bay. Chump change for a cigarette now... but back in the
late 50's and early 60's that was pretty scary fast.

I also remember "doping" the nose sections which were frameworks built
like old airplanes. Canvas stretched over the frame was doped amd
then once it was hard you applied the finish color enamel. Krash
throttle, kneepads, and go like Hell.

Our last boat was a ski boat built off Glen L. marine designs.
Mahogany deck & transome, oak stringers, awesome looking. He sold it
when I was in the army, around 1966. Man was I PO'd when I got home.
Went to store-boughts after that.