Dr. Roger L. Woehl

Default buiding an enry door

We are building a new house and I have elected to do some of the interior
wood working and to build the front entry door. I think I know the
mechanics of the joinery however I think it is wise to learn as much
joinery, finishing insulation and sealing as I can before I launch this
project. Has anybody out there built their own entry door? What were the
surprises and learnings? Are there any good web sites on entry door joinery
and sealing? What about finishing? I will probably use either quarter sawn
oak or mahogany. It will have an oval beveled leaded glass
insert --probably 16" x 42". Anybody know of a good source for oak or
mahogany mill work for the oval?

Roger

bridger

Dr. Roger L. Woehl wrote:
We are building a new house and I have elected to do some of the interior
wood working and to build the front entry door. I think I know the
mechanics of the joinery however I think it is wise to learn as much
joinery, finishing insulation and sealing as I can before I launch this
project. Has anybody out there built their own entry door? What were the
surprises and learnings? Are there any good web sites on entry door joinery
and sealing? What about finishing? I will probably use either quarter sawn
oak or mahogany. It will have an oval beveled leaded glass
insert --probably 16" x 42". Anybody know of a good source for oak or
mahogany mill work for the oval?

Roger

I've built a few entry doors and hung quite a few.

be fussy with your jointery. spend a little time with each machine
before you start, getting things tuned up. do enough dry runs on
assembly to be sure that everything fits just right, that you have
enough clamps of the right size right at hand and that the door is
going to clamp up straight.

spar varnish is a good finish for entry doors. it has the flexibility
to deal with the moving parts and the UV and moisture resistance to
hold up to exterior exposure.

I like the insert weatherstrip that has a foam bulb on a fin that seats
in a kerf. I made up a dedicated cutter for the slot for the router.