Fred

Default Run away router

I plug in my Craftsman router to the wall socket and it automatically
started. I thought I had screwed up by locking the switch in on position but
it was, in fact, in the off position. I played with the switch to see if I
could turn it off without success as it failed in the on position -
dangerous. I took apart the router and found the micro switch is in the
"normally on" position which is not a fail safe mode where the only way to
turn it off is to unplug it.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Fred" wrote in message
I plug in my Craftsman router to the wall socket and it automatically
started. I thought I had screwed up by locking the switch in on position
but it was, in fact, in the off position. I played with the switch to see
if I could turn it off without success as it failed in the on position -
dangerous. I took apart the router and found the micro switch is in the
"normally on" position which is not a fail safe mode where the only way to
turn it off is to unplug it.

Is this a new router? I know it would not have been designed that way.

Fred

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. ..

"Fred" wrote in message
I plug in my Craftsman router to the wall socket and it automatically
started. I thought I had screwed up by locking the switch in on position
but it was, in fact, in the off position. I played with the switch to see
if I could turn it off without success as it failed in the on position -
dangerous. I took apart the router and found the micro switch is in the
"normally on" position which is not a fail safe mode where the only way to
turn it off is to unplug it.

Is this a new router? I know it would not have been designed that way.

Its an old router around mid 80s. The trigger not electrical but via cable
much like a bicycle brake system. In the off position, the end of the cable
is pushing the micro switch contact to the open position. The micro switch
is "normally closed" so failure in the cable system may lead to the router
to be on like in my situation. This is the first time this happened, easy
fix but I'm have to extra careful now before I plug this sucker in the
electrical outlet.

LRod

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 23:46:08 -0700, "Fred" wrote:

I plug in my Craftsman router to the wall socket and it automatically
started. I thought I had screwed up by locking the switch in on position but
it was, in fact, in the off position. I played with the switch to see if I
could turn it off without success as it failed in the on position -
dangerous. I took apart the router and found the micro switch is in the
"normally on" position which is not a fail safe mode where the only way to
turn it off is to unplug it.

Geez, and we thought the ARHA (automatic random height adjustment)
feature was bad. Who can come up with a good acronym or title for this
feature?

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Leon

"LRod" wrote in message

Geez, and we thought the ARHA (automatic random height adjustment)
feature was bad. Who can come up with a good acronym or title for this
feature?

Instant-on feature?

Steve Peterson

Always-on feature.

Look on the bright side. Now you have a reason to replace that Craftsman
with a PC, like you have wanted to do for years.

Steve

"Leon" wrote in message

"LRod" wrote in message

Geez, and we thought the ARHA (automatic random height adjustment)
feature was bad. Who can come up with a good acronym or title for this
feature?

Instant-on feature?

Badger

Fred wrote:

I plug in my Craftsman router to the wall socket and it automatically
started. I thought I had screwed up by locking the switch in on position but
it was, in fact, in the off position. I played with the switch to see if I
could turn it off without success as it failed in the on position -
dangerous. I took apart the router and found the micro switch is in the
"normally on" position which is not a fail safe mode where the only way to
turn it off is to unplug it.

Put it in a table and use a remote switch, then buy a new one for
portable use?
WillR

Leon wrote:
"LRod" wrote in message=20
=20
=20
Geez, and we thought the ARHA (automatic random height adjustment)
feature was bad. Who can come up with a good acronym or title for this
feature?

=20
=20
=20
Instant-on feature?=20
=20
=20

Insta-Mangle

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw
Patrick Conroy

LRod wrote in
:

feature was bad. Who can come up with a good acronym or title for this
feature?

Hard-Start - as opposed to Soft Start..
Scary Sharp -- brings you "Scary Start!"...
etc.
John Girouard

Widowmaker?

-John

Dave Mundt

Greetings and Salutations.

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 23:46:08 -0700, "Fred" wrote:

I plug in my Craftsman router to the wall socket and it automatically
started. I thought I had screwed up by locking the switch in on position but
it was, in fact, in the off position. I played with the switch to see if I
could turn it off without success as it failed in the on position -
dangerous. I took apart the router and found the micro switch is in the
"normally on" position which is not a fail safe mode where the only way to
turn it off is to unplug it.

Yea, I had a Craftsman router that actually worked pretty well
for quite a few years, but got to the point that it would no longer
start. Well, I had taken it partially apart, so I could get to the
switch to see if IT was the problem. Since I did not have a meter
at hand, I plugged it in...needless to say, it was QUITE a surprise
when it spun up on me! I could not believe that some beancounter
thought it was a good idea to save a few pennies by putting in a
NC switch there! I fixed the problem by cleaning the accumulated
sawdust out, and, it did run fine for several more years, before
the upper bearing got hot enough to melt the PLASTIC mounting for
it. I tossed it and got a PC 690, and, got back to enjoying the
greatest power chisel ever made.
Regards
Dave Mundt