mike hide

Default a reminder what all the limeys on the group are missing ,

A reminder what all the limeys on the group are missing ,decent beer and pork pies

http://www.blogjam.com/pork/
Norm Dresner

"mike hide" wrote in message
A reminder what all the limeys on the group are missing ,decent beer
and pork pies

http://www.blogjam.com/pork/

Yeah. But they've got Bangers and Mash!

Norm

Robatoy

In article
,
"Norm Dresner" wrote:

"mike hide" wrote in message
A reminder what all the limeys on the group are missing ,decent beer
and pork pies

http://www.blogjam.com/pork/

Yeah. But they've got Bangers and Mash!

Norm

Yup, and Pigs-in-a-blanket and MY all-time fave rave: EEL PIE!!

At a B&B in Cambridge, I was offered boiled bacon, fried bread and
boiled coffee.

Somehow 'British' and 'food' don't go in the same sentence.

(Funny thing though..some huge world-wide restaurant expert/rating
outfit declared a London restaurant best in the world...go figgur)
jo4hn

Robatoy wrote:
In article
,
"Norm Dresner" wrote:

"mike hide" wrote in message
A reminder what all the limeys on the group are missing ,decent beer
and pork pies

http://www.blogjam.com/pork/

Yeah. But they've got Bangers and Mash!

Norm

Yup, and Pigs-in-a-blanket and MY all-time fave rave: EEL PIE!!

At a B&B in Cambridge, I was offered boiled bacon, fried bread and
boiled coffee.

Somehow 'British' and 'food' don't go in the same sentence.

(Funny thing though..some huge world-wide restaurant expert/rating
outfit declared a London restaurant best in the world...go figgur)

Must be French cuisine...
drool,
jo4hn
WillR

Robatoy wrote:
In article=20
,
"Norm Dresner" wrote:
=20
=20
"mike hide" wrote in message=20
A reminder what all the limeys on the group are missing ,decent beer
and pork pies

http://www.blogjam.com/pork/

Yeah. But they've got Bangers and Mash!

Norm

=20
=20
Yup, and Pigs-in-a-blanket and MY all-time fave rave: EEL PIE!!
=20
At a B&B in Cambridge, I was offered boiled bacon, fried bread and=20
boiled coffee.
=20
Somehow 'British' and 'food' don't go in the same sentence.
=20
(Funny thing though..some huge world-wide restaurant expert/rating=20
outfit declared a London restaurant best in the world...go figgur)

Kind of reminds me of "Home Cooking" in Texas. The memories are not the=20
best. lol

Not to say that Texas doesn't have great restaurants, but I always=20
seemed to be on the road and stopped at the greasy spoons. :-) Even=20
sopped at one in Crawford -- then a few weeks later I saw a picture of=20
some "famous guy" getting coffee at the same Fina gas station.=20
Apparently he liked it -- once was enough for me...

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Graham Walters

Yup, and Pigs-in-a-blanket and MY all-time fave rave: EEL PIE!!

At a B&B in Cambridge, I was offered boiled bacon, fried bread and
boiled coffee.

Somehow 'British' and 'food' don't go in the same sentence.

(Funny thing though..some huge world-wide restaurant expert/rating
outfit declared a London restaurant best in the world...go figgur)

The Fat Duck in Berkshire, IS the best restaurant in the world.

The menu includes, snail porridge, sardine-on-toast sorbet, scrambled
egg-flavoured ice cream, salmon poached with liquorice, mango and douglas
fir puree, Leather-Oak and Tobacco Chocolates, to name but a few....

Just a tad better than, Macdonalds, Burger King, Kentucky Fried Chicken, Hot
dogs, which of course is good wholesome, nutritious food!!!!!

Give me marshmallows and ice cream dipped in liquid nitrogen any day....

Graham
p.s. This post IS on topic....

Robatoy

In article ,
"Graham Walters" wrote:

[snipperized for brevity]

Graham
p.s. This post IS on topic....

yes... the Douglas fir puree sneaks it by *G*
mike hide

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article
,
"Norm Dresner" wrote:

"mike hide" wrote in message
A reminder what all the limeys on the group are missing ,decent beer
and pork pies

http://www.blogjam.com/pork/

Yeah. But they've got Bangers and Mash!

Norm

Yup, and Pigs-in-a-blanket and MY all-time fave rave: EEL PIE!!

At a B&B in Cambridge, I was offered boiled bacon, fried bread and
boiled coffee.

Somehow 'British' and 'food' don't go in the same sentence.

(Funny thing though..some huge world-wide restaurant expert/rating
outfit declared a London restaurant best in the world...go figgur

Just because we have the worst food [according to some ] it goes to prove we
take it seriously.

I hope you had lots of ketchup on your fried bread. thats part of the mystry
of it....mjh

Swingman

"mike hide" wrote in message

Just because we have the worst food [according to some ]

I don't know about that: clotted cream from Devon; English mustard on ham;
steak and kidney pie/pudding, with a pint of the best beer in the world; a
good trifle; excellent sherry always at hand; bacon cut the way bacon was
intended; chips way better than most current yanks have ever tasted,
seasoned with vinegar and salt... a lot of things you POME's do better than
most in the food department.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/07/05

Upscale

"Swingman" wrote in message
bacon cut the way bacon was intended

What? You've got back-bacon? Been importing some of it from our Canadian
supply have you?

Swingman

"Upscale" wrote in message
"Swingman" wrote in message
bacon cut the way bacon was intended

What? You've got back-bacon? Been importing some of it from our Canadian
supply have you?

I've often though it strange that Americans, and in particular Southerners,
are under the mistaken notion that they have the best/hardiest breakfast's
in the world.

Give me a good English breakfast with bacon, sausages, eggs and fried bread
ANY day!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/07/05

PC Paul

Swingman wrote:
"Upscale" wrote in message
"Swingman" wrote in message
bacon cut the way bacon was intended

What? You've got back-bacon? Been importing some of it from our
Canadian supply have you?

I've often though it strange that Americans, and in particular
Southerners, are under the mistaken notion that they have the
best/hardiest breakfast's in the world.

Give me a good English breakfast with bacon, sausages, eggs and fried
bread ANY day!

Nah, have a scottish one with black and white pudding added too. And don't
forget the fried porridge!

Upscale

"Swingman" wrote in message

Give me a good English breakfast with bacon, sausages, eggs and fried

bread
ANY day!

Well, if I was in the habit of eating all that fried food, if the inevitable
cholesterol attack left me alive, my doctor would surely finish me off
during my next check-up.

Guess who

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 01:01:44 -0400, "mike hide"
wrote:

At a B&B in Cambridge, I was offered boiled bacon, fried bread and
boiled coffee.

OK, I'll bite [I usually avoid OT stuff, and have even objected to
some of it, but this is a bit of fun...]

Boiled bacon is better for you healthwise. North Americans fry theirs
until it's crispier than potato chips ["crisps"] and tastes burnt.
Also, a much more noteable difference: British bacon has actual meat
on it, not just layers of fat packaged with a tiny thin strip of red,
lined together to make it look solid. Americans try to imitate with
"English Style" bacon. Better, but not even close. So, boiling when
you have real meat makes sense. Otherwise, you have to disguise the
look and the taste.

Re Boiling: You boil a good pot roast, and good farmer's sausage and
so on. You can brown the latter after boiling, in a little grease; or
toast on the BBQ after pre-boiling as well.

Fried bread soaks up the natural grease from a meat product. Contrary
to what has been said in the past [ and "they" are now changing their
minds] fat is good to eat and is good for flavour. As with all things
don't overdo it. Vitamins are fat-soluble, so by using old bread to
soak up the fat from fried products nothing is wasted. As with all
things, just don't overdo it, and as with some it's an acquired taste.

I live now in an area where if it isn't steak or roast, it isn't
meat. I enjoy the other products, some considered delicacies, and get
them mostly for free when I ask for them. Life is good to the
patient.

George

"Swingman" wrote in message

Give me a good English breakfast with bacon, sausages, eggs and fried
bread
ANY day!

Nope, best breakfast in the world is the kippers and eggs in Gander,
Newfoundland. Worth calling in a mistaken emergency to land in the morning
rather than fly by.

Swingman

"George" wrote in message

Nope, best breakfast in the world is the kippers and eggs in Gander,
Newfoundland. Worth calling in a mistaken emergency to land in the

morning
rather than fly by.

Forgot about kippers ... after living in a house for a full year in Hounslow
with them being cooked every morning, it's hard to believe you could forget
.... every cat on the block showed up.

But you're right, they are good.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/07/05

Swingman

"Upscale" wrote in message
"Swingman" wrote in message

Give me a good English breakfast with bacon, sausages, eggs and fried

bread
ANY day!

Well, if I was in the habit of eating all that fried food, if the

inevitable
cholesterol attack left me alive, my doctor would surely finish me off
during my next check-up.

I wouldn't make a habit of it, but It's definitely one of the things I plan
on indulging in, albeit briefly, on an anticipated trip to see my new, and
only, grandson in Sheffield.

Trust me, it is far from my usual fare of two eggs, fried in olive oil, and
the two pieces of zapped turkey bacon that I have every morning ... but I
can still dream.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/07/05

Guess who

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 08:24:50 -0400, "George" George@least wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in message

Give me a good English breakfast with bacon, sausages, eggs and fried
bread
ANY day!

Nope, best breakfast in the world is the kippers and eggs in Gander,
Newfoundland. Worth calling in a mistaken emergency to land in the morning
rather than fly by.

OK, dead serious now ... Not Newfoundland, but close ... One of the
BEST cookbooks you'll find anywhere for simple but delicious is called
"Out of old Nova Scotia kitchens." Buy it, or dig it out of the
library.

Norman D. Crow

"Guess who" wrote in message

snip

I live now in an area where if it isn't steak or roast, it isn't
meat. I enjoy the other products, some considered delicacies, and get
them mostly for free when I ask for them. Life is good to the
patient.

Yum! You mean stuff like veal sweetbreads, etc., right?

Risking a small flame war, fresh pork liver, always on the supper menu on
butchering day. I know many don't like liver at all, especially pork. When
living in Indianapolis in early '60's, pork liver was "dirt cheap" what with
all the hog farming in the Midwest, and also because many felt it was only
fit for our brethren of the darker complexion. Living on a tight budget
during apprenticeship, SWMBO & I enjoyed it. Still do when I can get it.
Beef tongue and heart, boiled & sliced in sandwiches, or pickled for tatty
tidbits. Of course, it never seemed to get completely pickled because
"people" couldn't wait, kept dipping in for samples.

--
Nahmie

mike hide wrote:

Just because we have the worst food [according to some ] it goes to prove we
take it seriously.

According to some, English cuisine is proof England never experienced
famine. Those cultures with the most 'interesting' cuisine are those
who had to resort to eating unusual food.

Evidently Norway never had a famine either...

--

FF

"MMmmm, lutefish."

Robatoy

In article ,
Guess who wrote:

OK, I'll bite [I usually avoid OT stuff, and have even objected to
some of it, but this is a bit of fun...]

My sentiments exactly. OT can be fun. We talk all kinds of sh*t in my
shop, not just wood.
I just don't participate in topics like religion, politics, my ex,
simply because I know I'm right and everybody else is wrong..*G*
Robatoy

In article ,
Guess who wrote:

[snipperectomized]

One of the
BEST cookbooks you'll find anywhere for simple but delicious is called
"Out of old Nova Scotia kitchens." Buy it, or dig it out of the
library.

Just had 2 weeks of that. Mostly seafood-based with some salt pork
thrown in. A LOT of haddock, clams, mussles, and scallops. My wife's
brothers are still fishermen on the Digby Neck. The only way to eat it
any fresher, is to dive over the side and take a bite under water.

Kippers? That's a frickin' herring. Used for bait in the lobster
business.
Now, 'Hollandse Nieuwe' herring, wee young ones, straight out of the
North Sea, caught, cleaned, dragged through a few diced onions, straight
down the gullet, uncooked...now you're talking.
An uncle of mine flew from Canada to Holland many times just when the
new catch of the year would come in.
Mind you, that was all pre oil-drilling-platforms.....
The only thing floating in the North Sea at that time were Radio
Veronica and Radio Caroline.. pirate stations.
mike hide

"Norman D. Crow" wrote in message

"Guess who" wrote in message

snip

[...]

Couple of other UK specialities ,brains and eggs , spotted dick and toad in
the hole plus I almost forgot faggots and peas, fried chitlins with hot
mustard [breakfast ]....mjh

mike hide

wrote in message
oups.com...

mike hide wrote:

Just because we have the worst food [according to some ] it goes to prove
we
take it seriously.

According to some, English cuisine is proof England never experienced
famine. Those cultures with the most 'interesting' cuisine are those
who had to resort to eating unusual food.

Evidently Norway never had a famine either...

--

FF

"MMmmm, lutefish."

Might be living for a while on a farm in the UK ,when an animal is
slaughtered nothing went to waste including the blood [black pudding] or the
feet [pickled trotters} the latter a favorite at the race tracks........mjh

Mark & Juanita

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 06:16:29 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"mike hide" wrote in message

Just because we have the worst food [according to some ]

I don't know about that: clotted cream from Devon;

You're kidding here, right? Or you really do like rotten cream?

English mustard on ham;

I could probably get down with this

steak and kidney pie/pudding,

uhh, if you say so

with a pint of the best beer in the world; a
good trifle;

Not sure what a trifle is exactly

excellent sherry always at hand;

I suppose it's sweet sherry too, huh? :-(

bacon cut the way bacon was
intended; chips way better than most current yanks have ever tasted,

Based upon your previous praises, I'm not sure that this is high praise

seasoned with vinegar and salt...

Now you're just being silly. What psychopath came up with the idea that
vinegar was a great flavoring for chips? [bleah! ... and again I say
bleah!]

a lot of things you POME's do better than
most in the food department.

Bet you like head cheese and blood sausage too.

Different strokes I guess.

Mark & Juanita wrote:
On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 06:16:29 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

with a pint of the best beer in the world; a
good trifle;

Not sure what a trifle is exactly

It's what follows after a man who has had one pint too many
leaves the pub with a tart.

--

FF

Norman D. Crow

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

snip

Bet you like head cheese and blood sausage too.

And what, I'd like to know, is wrong with head cheese?(Good homemade head
cheese, that Is).
Been some comments here about farm use of pigs, one old saying is they "use
everything but the squeal". True! Grandad would bring washtubs & take
entrails to friends in town who cleaned them to use for natural sausage
casing. When we had trimmed the skull of everything useable, hang it in the
henhouse & let the chickens peck at it.
--
Nahmie

Mark & Juanita

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 11:38:01 -0400, "Norman D. Crow"
wrote:

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
.. .

snip

Bet you like head cheese and blood sausage too.

And what, I'd like to know, is wrong with head cheese?(Good homemade head
cheese, that Is).

Had a few relatives who loved the stuff. My parents and grandparents
were not of that persuasion.

Been some comments here about farm use of pigs, one old saying is they "use
everything but the squeal". True! Grandad would bring washtubs & take
entrails to friends in town who cleaned them to use for natural sausage
casing. When we had trimmed the skull of everything useable, hang it in the
henhouse & let the chickens peck at it.

My grandparents did similar things, but there were some things that got
used for more mundane things such as dog food.

Mark & Juanita

On 13 Aug 2005 01:58:08 -0700, "Charlie Self" wrote:

wrote:
mike hide wrote:

Just because we have the worst food [according to some ] it goes to prove we
take it seriously.

According to some, English cuisine is proof England never experienced
famine. Those cultures with the most 'interesting' cuisine are those
who had to resort to eating unusual food.

Evidently Norway never had a famine either...

The vaunted French sauces were first developed to cover the taste of
meat going bad, pre-refrigeration days (way, way pre-), or so I have
been told.

...ah, kind of along the same lines and lineage as French perfume then.
:-)

foggytown

What annoys the living p*iss out of me is the way ALL countries seem to
treat "ethnic" food from other countries. In the UK for example they
will take a true American dish and then customize it so that it's more
to the palates of the Brits - and STILL call it "authentic" American
fare. (Only in England would they put sweet corn on pizza.) Same
thing in the USA - remember Arthur Treacher's REAL English fish and
chips? Nothing like real! Even McDonalds is guilty. I've had them in
USA, England, Sweden, France, Lebanon, Finland, Spain - they all taste
different to each other.

FoggyTown

foggytown

Morris Dovey wrote:
foggytown (in )
said:

| What annoys the living p*iss out of me is the way ALL countries
| seem to treat "ethnic" food from other countries

Just goes to show that if you want /really/ good ethnic food, it
helps a lot if it's been prepared by a talented ethnic.

One of my happiest discoveries was that people in every part of the
planet have found ways to make whatever's available in their immediate
vicinity into dishes that everyone can enjoy.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Doesn't make much difference. London is filled with Indian restaurants
staffed by Indians who haven't been in the country long enough for the
fingerprints they made at the immigration center to have dried - and
they still turn out food that nobody from Mumbai or Calcutta would
recognize.

FoggyTown

Guess who

On 13 Aug 2005 12:40:59 -0700, "foggytown" wrote:

Doesn't make much difference. London is filled with Indian restaurants
staffed by Indians who haven't been in the country long enough for the
fingerprints they made at the immigration center to have dried - and
they still turn out food that nobody from Mumbai or Calcutta would
recognize.

I thought Chinese food was what you bought in an all-you-can-eat
restaurant. Then a Chinese friend invited me over for a meal. It's
like day is to night.

Badger

foggytown wrote:
Doesn't make much difference. London is filled with Indian restaurants
staffed by Indians who haven't been in the country long enough for the
fingerprints they made at the immigration center to have dried - and
they still turn out food that nobody from Mumbai or Calcutta would
recognize.

That because its mass produced and pre-packaged in manchester...
Badger

Mark & Juanita wrote:
Just because we have the worst food [according to some ]

I don't know about that: clotted cream from Devon;

You're kidding here, right? Or you really do like rotten cream?

Yep, on my left I have my wife, she can eat a clotted cream tea, with
just the cream, no jam, no butter and still want more! I rather like it
on my cornflakes too!

with a pint of the best beer in the world; a
good trifle;

Not sure what a trifle is exactly

Think of fruit jelly with soft sponge cake segments soaked with sherry,
cream and custard over...Lovely.

bacon cut the way bacon was
intended; chips way better than most current yanks have ever tasted,

Based upon your previous praises, I'm not sure that this is high praise

seasoned with vinegar and salt...

Now you're just being silly. What psychopath came up with the idea that
vinegar was a great flavoring for chips? [bleah! ... and again I say
bleah!]

Pickled onion white vinegar and brown too...

Niel.
Guess who

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 20:24:59 GMT, Badger
wrote:

Not sure what a trifle is exactly

Think of fruit jelly with soft sponge cake segments soaked with sherry,
cream and custard over...Lovely.

A great way to get rid of stale cake during and just after the war [or
any time for that matter.] We also had stale bread soaked in hot milk
before bed-time. We were kids. We thought it was food.

Robatoy

In article ,
Guess who wrote:

I thought Chinese food was what you bought in an all-you-can-eat
restaurant. Then a Chinese friend invited me over for a meal. It's
like day is to night.

Yup...no different than Italian pizza. Here and there...night and day.

One of my weaknesses is fish & chips. Local fish, local potatoes and
different oils (like horse-fat in Spa, Belgium).

I will try and eat most anything but I draw the line at ****/blood
filters from any animal. Yet I like a bit of braunschweiger once in a
while. I like 'smarties' (small calf brains, battered and deep-fried).
I will NOT eat 'zwezerik' (a pig's dick...I mean..HOW f*ucking hungry
does one have to be???) Sick *******s, those Dutch.

I do eat smoked eel (farm-grown in Holland). Will NOT eat lobster
they're the cockroaches of the ocean and look the part BLECH!
Mark & Juanita

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 21:50:17 -0400, Robatoy wrote:

.... snip

I do eat smoked eel (farm-grown in Holland). Will NOT eat lobster
they're the cockroaches of the ocean and look the part BLECH!

Interesting tidbit -- apparently the early colonists shared your view of
lobsters. Lobster was what they fed prisoners.

OTOH, lobster is probably one of the best meats, IMHO, I have ever had
the opportunity to eat. Properly prepared, served with melted butter,
rich, sweet, -- I'm in heaven :-)