Han

Robatoy wrote in news:design-46830C.21501713082005
@nr-tor01.bellnexxia.net:

I will NOT eat 'zwezerik' (a pig's dick...I mean..HOW f*ucking hungry
does one have to be???) Sick *******s, those Dutch.

Don't know where your translation came from, but Googling confirms my
recollection that zwezerik is thymus. Another translation calls it
seweetbread(s).

Not that this born Dutchman would really eat thymus in this day and age of
AIDS and mad cow disease ...

OTOH, kidneys in my recollection can be very nice, especially when I
remember what my friend looked like when we explained what those
"champignons" really were. Oh, those were the good days in the '60s at
college (Utrecht).

--
Best regards
Han
Norman D. Crow

"Han" wrote in message
Robatoy wrote in
@nr-tor01.bellnexxia.net:

I will NOT eat 'zwezerik' (a pig's dick...I mean..HOW f*ucking hungry
does one have to be???) Sick *******s, those Dutch.

Don't know where your translation came from, but Googling confirms my
recollection that zwezerik is thymus. Another translation calls it
seweetbread(s).

Not that this born Dutchman would really eat thymus in this day and age of
AIDS and mad cow disease ...

OTOH, kidneys in my recollection can be very nice, especially when I
remember what my friend looked like when we explained what those
"champignons" really were. Oh, those were the good days in the '60s at
college (Utrecht).

What does AIDS have to do with it? I'm not really up on mad cow disease, but
wouldn't proper cooking pretty much destroy any possibility of that being
transferred to a consumer? IIRC, sweetbreads(at least from veal or beef) are
a gland from the neck of the animal. I must presume that they would be
pretty much the same thing from a pig. In this day & age, we never see them
unless from home butchered meat.

The old story about kidneys goes - - "To prepare kidney, first you put them
in a pot and boil the p*ss out of them". Never had the privilege of kidney
or "mountain oysters", but have been told they are quite tasty. I can verify
that sweetbreads are extremely tasty, just not very much of them in one
small calf.

--
Nahmie

Norman D. Crow wrote:

What does AIDS have to do with it?

Nothing.

I'm not really up on mad cow disease, but
wouldn't proper cooking pretty much destroy any possibility of that being
transferred to a consumer?

No.

'Mad Cow' (Bovine APongiform Encephalopathy, BSE), Creutzfeldt-Jakob
Disease, Kuru, Scrapies, and a few other related diseases are
caused by a protein, not a virus or bacteria. To cook meat
to the point where is safe from transmiting those, you would
have to cook it until the protein is destroyed, by which point
it would no longer be meat. Not much point to eating charcoal
briquettes. Some parts of the cow are especially high risk,
the brains or any part of the nervous system and the intestine.
Hot Dogs are high risk foods for BSE because they not only have
protein from pretty much all parts of the cow, but also have proteins
from many different cows in the same sausage. Yummm!.

IIRC, sweetbreads(at least from veal or beef) are
a gland from the neck of the animal. I must presume that they would be
pretty much the same thing from a pig. In this day & age, we never see them
unless from home butchered meat.

I don't see any information on a porcine varient, which seems odd
considering that pigs and people have been eating each other
for millennia.

--

FF

G.E.R.R.Y.

In article .com,
foggytown wrote:

Even McDonalds is guilty.

I thought you were talking about food. "McDonald's" and "food" are
NEVER to be used in the same conversation. It's the law, you know.

Gerry
G.E.R.R.Y.

In article , Guess who
wrote:

We also had stale bread soaked in hot milk before bed-time. We were
kids.

In Glasgow in the forties and fifties, we used to call them "saps".
Don't forget the sprinkle of sugar.

Gerry

Phil Hansen

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 09:43:19 -0400, "Norman D. Crow"
wrote:

What does AIDS have to do with it? I'm not really up on mad cow disease, but
wouldn't proper cooking pretty much destroy any possibility of that being
transferred to a consumer? IIRC, sweetbreads(at least from veal or beef) are
a gland from the neck of the animal. I must presume that they would be
pretty much the same thing from a pig. In this day & age, we never see them
unless from home butchered meat.

Sweetbreads are to my understanding the 'balls', 'nuts' otherwise
known as testicles of an animal. Very tasty.
mike hide

wrote:

What does AIDS have to do with it? I'm not really up on mad cow disease,
but
wouldn't proper cooking pretty much destroy any possibility of that being
transferred to a consumer? IIRC, sweetbreads(at least from veal or beef)
are
a gland from the neck of the animal. I must presume that they would be
pretty much the same thing from a pig. In this day & age, we never see
them
unless from home butchered meat.

Sweetbreads are to my understanding the 'balls', 'nuts' otherwise
known as testicles of an animal. Very tasty.

In America known as mountain oysters..........

George

wrote:

What does AIDS have to do with it? I'm not really up on mad cow disease,
but
wouldn't proper cooking pretty much destroy any possibility of that being
transferred to a consumer? IIRC, sweetbreads(at least from veal or beef)
are
a gland from the neck of the animal. I must presume that they would be
pretty much the same thing from a pig. In this day & age, we never see
them
unless from home butchered meat.

Sweetbreads are to my understanding the 'balls', 'nuts' otherwise
known as testicles of an animal. Very tasty.

Nope. Pancreas, basically, though Thymus permitted.

Charles Krug

wrote:

Sweetbreads are to my understanding the 'balls', 'nuts' otherwise
known as testicles of an animal. Very tasty.

Sweetbreads are the Thymus gland, only found in young animals.
Including humans.

Sometimes, the pancreas is sold as "Large Sweetbreads" but it's not the
same thing.

Bruce Barnett

Charles Krug writes:

Sweetbreads are the Thymus gland, only found in young animals.
Including humans.

The Thymus gland doesn't disappear when the animal gets older.
So older mammals have the Thymus gland as well.

http://www.epicurious.com/cooking/ho.../entry?id=4834

Sometimes, the pancreas is sold as "Large Sweetbreads" but it's not the
same thing.

The above reference says young calves are best.

Norman D. Crow

"G.E.R.R.Y." wrote in message
In article .com,
foggytown wrote:

Even McDonalds is guilty.

I thought you were talking about food. "McDonald's" and "food" are
NEVER to be used in the same conversation. It's the law, you know.

You trying to tell us that "McDonald's food" is an oxymoron?(R,D&G)

--
Nahmie

Norman D. Crow

wrote in message
ups.com...
snip
'Mad Cow' (Bovine APongiform Encephalopathy, BSE), Creutzfeldt-Jakob
Disease, Kuru, Scrapies, and a few other related diseases are
caused by a protein, not a virus or bacteria. To cook meat
to the point where is safe from transmiting those, you would
have to cook it until the protein is destroyed, by which point
it would no longer be meat. Not much point to eating charcoal
briquettes. Some parts of the cow are especially high risk,
the brains or any part of the nervous system and the intestine.
Hot Dogs are high risk foods for BSE because they not only have
protein from pretty much all parts of the cow, but also have proteins
from many different cows in the same sausage. Yummm!.

I stand corrected.

The movie "The Great Outdoors" with John Candy & Dan Akroyd - - "You know
what hot dogs are made of? "xxxxxxxx and a**holes".(Sorry, don't remember
all of the quote.)

I'm not all that particular, I'll eat most any of the better hot dogs from
the store, but SWMBO is particular, she only wants "Smiths natural casing",
a top grade one from this area. To echo you - - Yummm!

--
Nahmie

mike hide

"Bruce Barnett" wrote in message
Charles Krug writes:

Sweetbreads are the Thymus gland, only found in young animals.
Including humans.

The Thymus gland doesn't disappear when the animal gets older.
So older mammals have the Thymus gland as well.

http://www.epicurious.com/cooking/ho.../entry?id=4834

Sometimes, the pancreas is sold as "Large Sweetbreads" but it's not the
same thing.

The above reference says young calves are best.

That is not how they are defined on the web .try googling sweetbreads