Mike S.

Default where do you buy shaper bits?

I'm thinking about picking up a shaper and checked the places I usually buy
router bits but they didn't list shaper bits.
Thanks

--

Mike S.

Morris Dovey

Mike S. (in ) said:

| I'm thinking about picking up a shaper and checked the places I
| usually buy router bits but they didn't list shaper bits.
| Thanks

Check Grizzly and MLCS

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

B a r r y

Mike S. wrote:
I'm thinking about picking up a shaper and checked the places I usually buy
router bits but they didn't list shaper bits.
Thanks

Local to me:
http://www.ctsaw.com/

If I can't get it locally, I'll start he
http://www.ballewtools.com/

Ballew's paper catalog is much better than the web site.

Barry
Duane Bozarth

"Mike S." wrote:

I'm thinking about picking up a shaper and checked the places I usually buy
router bits but they didn't list shaper bits.
Thanks

What size shaft(s) are you thinking? That tends to have a bearing as
there are more sources for 3/4" and larger shafts than for 1/2" (and
cutters small enough for 3/4" to be able to be bushed for 1/2").

Delta has quit the business of shaper cutters at least for the
light-duty shaper--I don't know about the larger for sure.

For 1/2-3/4", inexpensive cutters are carried by MLCS in their own
branded line and the Katana line. Wookworkers Supply carries their
Woodtek branded line and Freud. Then there's Amana (top-notch, but
carry big bucks when you go looking). Sears used to carry a small line
of 1/2" but they were pretty sorry. Haven't looked recently. Then
there're the other major industrial makers of those primarily for larger
shafts.
Mark & Juanita

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 08:56:00 GMT, "Mike S." wrote:

I'm thinking about picking up a shaper and checked the places I usually buy
router bits but they didn't list shaper bits.
Thanks

I've found that Grizzly shaper cutters are quite acceptable for hobby
type of work. Don't know how they would hold up for commercial
applications. I settled on using 3/4" cutters as my "standard", it seems
that size is a good compromise between large selection and reasonable
price. I did buy a set of Freud door cutters -- considerably higher price
than the Grizzly cutters, but I plan to use these for a lot of door and
applications.