charlie b

Default Studio Woodworker - Dancing Rings

Since my transformation to a Rotationiste, the
artistic flood gates have opened and the pieces
are appearing as if by magic. Maybe I'm channeling
a deceased spindle turner. The latest creation
is The Rings of Redwood aka The Dancing Rings, the
third in my Paradox Series. Took maybe and hour.
With a little more practice I could probably get it
down to maybe half an hour.

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...cingRings.html

The previous page has it "static" (6th image down)

Haven't found a pair of clogs yet but saw a great
monocle.

Chawls Bayldon
The Rotationiste
formerly known as
charlie b
tom

Chawls Bayldon"iste"
wrote:http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...cingRings.html

Ebonic, huh? Nice bunch of exercises you've got there! So, the rings
are loose on the spindle? That's some interesting work. If I'm right,
you undercut 'til it falls off the spindle? Does it freak you out a
little when they cut loose? Just thinking about it gives me a bit 'o
the willies. Okay, here's the straight line: What kind of saw do you
use on a monocle? Tom

charlie b

tom wrote:

So, the rings
are loose on the spindle?

yes

That's some interesting work. If I'm right,
you undercut 'til it falls off the spindle? Does it freak you out a
little when they cut loose? Just thinking about it gives me a bit 'o
the willies.

Well you got the undercut part right - but the final
cut through was done wih the lathe off and the piece
turned by hand while the long point of the skew
severs the last bit of wood. I do the undercutting
at the lowest speed on this lathe - 500 RPMS which
comes out to 8 1/3rd revs/second. Even at that
speed a catch can do its damage way before you can
react. A spiral groove in the almost finished piece
can be discouraging.

Okay, here's the straight line: What kind of saw do you
use on a monocle? Tom

OK, I'll bite. What kind of saw do you use on a monocle?
tom

Charly B wriote: OK, I'll bite. What kind of saw do you use on a
monocle?

Oh, I thought you had the punchline there...Okay, how about a keyhole?
(Badump-bump) Tom

tom

lgbwrote: OK, I'll bite. What kind of saw do you use on a
monocle?
A "see" saw, of course.

Well done! Tom

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 01:10:33 -0700, the opaque charlie b
clearly wrote:

tom wrote:

lgbwrote: OK, I'll bite. What kind of saw do you use on a
monocle?
A "see" saw, of course.

Well done! Tom

GROANNNNNNNNNN.

And if it's not done right, you'll end up with an eye saw.

Never underestimate the innate animosity of inanimate objects.
----
http://diversify.com Dynamic Website Applications
Mark & Juanita

clearly wrote:

tom wrote:

lgbwrote: OK, I'll bite. What kind of saw do you use on a
monocle?
A "see" saw, of course.

Well done! Tom

GROANNNNNNNNNN.

And if it's not done right, you'll end up with an eye saw.

What, what did you saw?

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 20:38:44 -0700, the opaque Mark & Juanita
clearly wrote:

GROANNNNNNNNNN.

And if it's not done right, you'll end up with an eye saw.

What, what did you saw?

You din't pernuncikate it rightly, Mark.

"An eye saur."

-
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.
---
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming

Mark & Juanita

clearly wrote:

GROANNNNNNNNNN.

And if it's not done right, you'll end up with an eye saw.

What, what did you saw?

You din't pernuncikate it rightly, Mark.

"An eye saur."

LOL Not used to non-southern pronounciations anymore.

-