Clint

Default Anyone have any experience with this Craftsman air compressor?

I'm thinking it's time I got me some air tools, and this compressor has come
up for sale (used).

http://www6.sears.ca/webapp/wcs/stor...ctId=158060514

150psi, 33 gallon tank, 5.5cfm. Not sure if it being direct drive and oil
free are big issues...

Clint

Leon

"Clint" wrote in message
I'm thinking it's time I got me some air tools, and this compressor has
come up for sale (used).

http://www6.sears.ca/webapp/wcs/stor...ctId=158060514

150psi, 33 gallon tank, 5.5cfm. Not sure if it being direct drive and oil
free are big issues...

Clint

10 years ago I bought one new. Took it back because it had rust in the
tank. The second one threw the piston through the head after about 5 hour
of use.
I would advise against any of Sears oilless direct drive units unless you
are only putting a "few" dollars into the purchase.

RonB

Clint:
If $499 is the sale price I suspect you can do better with a similar sized
oiled compressor. Oil-less has two issues (with me):

1) Noise - The high pitched sound just makes my hair hurt.
2) Durability - Some will argue but I think a good oiled compressor will
outlast an oil-less 2:1.

I also have some doubts about the 6HP - Sears does wonderous things with HP
ratings.

I have seen several oil-less machines that were inexpensive enough to
overcome the durabilitiy issue. Use 'em and buy another. This one is a
little too high-priced. I have a 30 gallon/3HP , wheeled, upright CH that
cost a little less than this one. It is oiled and isn't quiet by any means
but the sound is tolerable. I have also seen slightly smaller 2-3 HP Oiled
Husky's at Home Depot around $300. Also, you said you wanted to start
getting some air tools. Check the big box stores for Oiled or Oil-less
packages that include compressor and a variety of tools at a good price. We
helped our daughter purchase a compressor for the son-in-law last Christmas.
Got a 26 Gallon wheeled upright Oil-less Husky (that is what he wanted) and
a pile of starter tools, hose, fittings, flex hose, etc for around $300.

(Just looked at your linked ad again. Didn't notice the "Sears Canada"
until now. The price might not be out of line up there. I still have
reservations with Oil-less.)

RonB

Tom

150psi, 33 gallon tank, 5.5cfm. Not sure if it being direct drive and
oil free are big issues...

Clint

10 years ago I bought one new. Took it back because it had rust in the
tank. The second one threw the piston through the head after about 5 hour
of use.
I would advise against any of Sears oilless direct drive units unless you
are only putting a "few" dollars into the purchase.

Working for Sears, about ten years ago, I remember seeing quite a few
oilless compressors (returned) in the back room with big holes in the side.
But then after a year or so, they seemed to have that problem solved. I
bought one about five years ago and haven't had a problem with it. That
is, other than the noise scares the bejesus out of me every time it starts
up. Wouldn't dare run it late at night if the neighbors lived close. I
still work part time for Sears and I don't remember seeing one returned in
the last two years (Sears Hardware) I think you would find this usually on
sale for $379 (USD) with a tool or two included.
Tom

Leon

"RonB" wrote in message
Clint:
If $499 is the sale price I suspect you can do better with a similar sized
oiled compressor. Oil-less has two issues (with me):

1) Noise - The high pitched sound just makes my hair hurt.
2) Durability - Some will argue but I think a good oiled compressor will
outlast an oil-less 2:1.

Agreed but IIRC the oil type outlasts the oilless 10 to 1.

mike hide

"Clint" wrote in message
I'm thinking it's time I got me some air tools, and this compressor has
come up for sale (used).

http://www6.sears.ca/webapp/wcs/stor...ctId=158060514

150psi, 33 gallon tank, 5.5cfm. Not sure if it being direct drive and oil
free are big issues...

Clint

Admittedly not an oilless compressor but I got an "air america" compressor
made by devilbiss from the porter cable outlet in atlanta with a 6+ HP motor
for $280. It is virtually thesame as the sears unit I have been using for
the passed 20 years alsom incidentally made by devilbiss .a nice machine in
my opinion..mjh

BillyBob

"Clint" wrote in message
I'm thinking it's time I got me some air tools, and this compressor has

come
up for sale (used).

http://www6.sears.ca/webapp/wcs/stor...ctId=158060514

150psi, 33 gallon tank, 5.5cfm. Not sure if it being direct drive and oil
free are big issues...

You can get a lot more compressor for $499 than this one. It looks like its
specs are inflated more than Sears usually does. I base this on the fact
that its 120 volt. There is only so much capacity you can get out of a 120
volt motor. I think they have way overstated the capacity of this
compressor (cfm). I don't pay any attention to the horsepower ratings.
These type of compressors (oil free, direct drive) are noisy! I know I have
one. My next compressor will be a cast iron, probably one of the speedaire
models from Grainger. They have been making the same basic models for about
30 years.

You will need a tool oiler to run air tools. If you are going to run air
tools like a grinder or sander, I think you'll need more continuous
capacity. Speedaire makes a model that has not changed in 40 years. Its
rated at 10.3 cfm at 90 psi for $519. Its 220volt only.

Bob

Vic Baron

"Clint" wrote in message
I'm thinking it's time I got me some air tools, and this compressor has

come
up for sale (used).

http://www6.sears.ca/webapp/wcs/stor...ctId=158060514

150psi, 33 gallon tank, 5.5cfm. Not sure if it being direct drive and oil
free are big issues...

I've had the vertical unit for two years now and, except for the loud noise
when it runs - it has worked fine for me. I've mainly used it for spraying
paint - both regular and HVLP guns. No problems with either. Tried some
airtools with it and they worked fine but I'm not a big fan of airtools so I
don't really use them. Seem to recall it was on sale for around $299 new at
he time and came with a mess of airtools.

Vic

vdubbs

Clint wrote:
I'm thinking it's time I got me some air tools, and this compressor has come
up for sale (used).

http://www6.sears.ca/webapp/wcs/stor...ctId=158060514

150psi, 33 gallon tank, 5.5cfm. Not sure if it being direct drive and oil
free are big issues...

Clint

I got the Porter Cable upright from Lowe's a couple/three years ago.

60 gallon
7HP
220 volt

Lowe's has now stopped selling them and went with another brand.

I got mine for $350 tax and all with their meet it and beat it price
guarantee. 8~)

I have also put the Amzoil Compressor oil in it and it runs like a top.

I had a Wal-mart special 5hp/20gal that only lasted a couple years and
blew the startup windings in the motor.

vdubbs

mike hide wrote:
"Clint" wrote in message
I'm thinking it's time I got me some air tools, and this compressor has
come up for sale (used).

http://www6.sears.ca/webapp/wcs/stor...ctId=158060514

150psi, 33 gallon tank, 5.5cfm. Not sure if it being direct drive and oil
free are big issues...

Clint

Admittedly not an oilless compressor but I got an "air america" compressor
made by devilbiss from the porter cable outlet in atlanta with a 6+ HP motor
for $280. It is virtually thesame as the sears unit I have been using for
the passed 20 years alsom incidentally made by devilbiss .a nice machine in
my opinion..mjh

I had no IDEA that there was a Porter Cable Outlet in Atlanta. Where
is it and the next time I am over there from N. Alabama I will check it
out. Thanks!!

Clint

Thanks for the input, everyone! Not sure if I'm closer to making a
decision, but more information (which I requested) is always good.

Just to provide more information back, the compressor I'm looking at is
"lightly used", and the asking price is currently $220CAD. The only thing
locally that's somewhat comparable in price is either some "no-name" oiled
compressors (usually 3 or 4cfm@90psi, 3 to 6 gallon tanks) or a refurbed
oil-less Campbell Hausfeld ("5HP", 5cfm@90psi, 15 gallon tank). There's
probably more out there, but I figure that's about average. Most of the
other ones I've seen are also 120 to 135 psi; is higher pressure any real
advantage? Seems like you'd get, all things being equal, more capacity out
of your tank if it was higher pressure.

Basically, I'm looking for my birthday present, and this came up. My other
choice was a sander (probably disk/belt), or "something else" (don't know
unless I see it).

Clint

"Clint" wrote in message
I'm thinking it's time I got me some air tools, and this compressor has
come up for sale (used).

http://www6.sears.ca/webapp/wcs/stor...ctId=158060514

150psi, 33 gallon tank, 5.5cfm. Not sure if it being direct drive and oil
free are big issues...

Clint

Lew Hodgett

Clint wrote:

I'm thinking it's time I got me some air tools, and this compressor has come
up for sale (used).

http://www6.sears.ca/webapp/wcs/stor...ctId=158060514

150psi, 33 gallon tank, 5.5cfm. Not sure if it being direct drive and oil
free are big issues...

When it comes to air compressors, that thing is a toy IMHO.

Buying an air compressor is like buying a good table saw.

You bite the bullet, spend the money, cry once, get it out of your
system, then enjoy the advantages of a good compressed air system.

IMHO, the best value for the money is a 5HP/240V/1Ph/60HZ motor driving
a 2 stage compressor mounted on top of a vertical 80 gal tank.

You will have enough air to spray on a continuous basis, do body work
with a jitterbug, etc.

I can go into a lot more detail, if necessary.

I've had one for about 10 years not, it has never let me down.

Lew

Leon

"Clint" wrote in message
[...]

IMHO that is too much money to spend on that type compressor. I would get
something else and wait until you can get a belt driven oil type compressor.
It will be much quieter and last a lot longer.

WC

I have one of Sears' upright models that uses basically the same setup at
the one you're talking about. I have had it for at least 5 years with no
trouble. I have used air tools, sprayers and impact wrenches with no
apparent strain at keeping up. But I have to agree with those recommending
the spending of greater money and buying the larger stationary upright unit.
They will no doubt last far longer and run much quieter than those direct
drive units. It just all boils down to whether you can swing it.

My own unit is frightfully noisy and usually startles me quite well when it
kicks off. It sits right next to our backup fridge in our/my garage/shop.
Only once did it kick off while my wife had her head stuck in that icebox.
If I had been able to video that, I could have surely made some money from
America's Funniest Home Videos. She, however, was much less amused.

Wade

mike hide

"vdubbs" wrote in message
ps.com...

mike hide wrote:
"Clint" wrote in message
[...]

thr PC outlet is on I75 just south of the airport. get off at the farmers
market exit ,xback over I75 and make the first right onto the access road it
is 1/2 mile on the left. they also sell delta stuff .

I picked up my "air america" compressor by devillbiss for less than $300 .It
has a 20 or30 gallon tank I think it is rated at 6 1/2 HP ,125psi max ,13
scfm@40PSI, 10.5 scfm 290PSI . phone number 1 800 888 2468...mjh

mike hide

"BillyBob" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Clint" wrote in message
[...]

Way overpriced in my opinion ,seemy earlier post about the air america unit
..
recently I believe most manufacturers [including sears} have revised their
hp ratings see HP units for instance .The critical figure in all honesty is
the scfm at 90psi for most average compressors it needs to be 10 scfm or
above ..

To rum an air buff or sander you will need even more than 10 scfm at 90psi
and than you are talking many bucks....mjh

I bought that model about 6 months ago for about $330. I think for the
money it is probably a decent compressor. It is very loud, but mine is
a real deep, loud HMMMM. My biggest complaint is that about 1 time in
4, it kicks the breaker when it cycles on. I've tried it on a couple of
different circuits, all 20 amp. Sears' rating of 6 HP is "peak" but
they claim 2 HP "continuos".

Leon

"Ignoramus6689" wrote in message
news:CyeKe.2162 Great likelihood is that your air compressor is not
anywhere close to
6.5 HP.

Does your motor weigh more than 100 lbs?

What is the voltage and amps for which the motor is rated?

My guess is that 13 scfm at 40 psi -- a very low PSI -- is equivalent
to about 2 honest horsepower.

I have an honest 3 HP compressor, with a heavy Baldor motor etc, on a
80 gallon tank, and could not fit the motor and pump on a puny 20-30
gallon tank.

More than likely the Sears rating is the same used by most of thier
products. The 6.5 hp rating probably compares to amp draw of a true 6.5 hp
motor just before the Sears unit stalls from overload. Basically how much
amperage it draws as it stalls and hopefully blows a breaker. And like you
said, probably really 2 hp or less.

mike hide

"Leon" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

What a crock , As far as I know sears do not make their compressors
,devillbiss does ,probably the largest compressed air tool proveyer in the
country. In addition to my knowledge the compresor division of devillbiss
has been bought out by porter cable ....Again the hp ratings for all
compressors have been redefined, not only sears......I am no great fan of
sears having had several run ins with them but for heavens sake give them a
fair shake else criticise them all ....

Steve knight

oilless sucks. it is so loud it can drive you nuts. I just replaced my
craftsman becauseo f this. it worked fine but it was slow to fill and
horrible in the noise department. the worst tool I owned for noise.
Knight-Toolworks
http://www.knight-toolworks.com
affordable handmade wooden planes

Steve knight

http://www6.sears.ca/webapp/wcs/stor...ctId=158060514

150psi, 33 gallon tank, 5.5cfm. Not sure if it being direct drive and oil
free are big issues...

I have this one or mine is very close to it. got it for free and I
feel I overpaid for it.
Knight-Toolworks
http://www.knight-toolworks.com
affordable handmade wooden planes
Steve knight

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 18:37:24 GMT, "Clint" wrote:

Thanks for the input, everyone! Not sure if I'm closer to making a
decision, but more information (which I requested) is always good.

I would give you mine it is close to the model tough a bit older for
free. it is so load even with ear muffs on it drives me nuts. free was
a bad price for this one.
you can have mine for shipping.
Knight-Toolworks
http://www.knight-toolworks.com
affordable handmade wooden planes
Duane Bozarth

Ignoramus23461 wrote:
I would not single out Sears, yes. All manufacturers and retailers who
sell compressors with phony "peak horsepower" ratings, are scum. Peak
horsepower means nothing when it comes to compressors, because
compressors have large tanks of air. A few seconds at "peak
horsepower" before, like Leon said, the breakers blow or the motor
pops the overload, mean nothing whatsoever. For compressors, only
continuous output matters.

The "peak" hp means nothing for anything, compressor or not.
Lew Hodgett

Ignoramus3644 wrote:

Fortunately, electric motors have honest nameplates on them that list
their amps. Multiply amps by volts and you get watts. Divide by 751
and you get true HP.

Close but no cigar.

AC electric motors are inductive not pure resistive devices so you must
also include power factor in the calculations which is not a simple
matter without test equipment.

BTW, there are 746 watts per horsepower.

Lew
Duane Bozarth

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Ignoramus3644 wrote:

Fortunately, electric motors have honest nameplates on them that list
their amps. Multiply amps by volts and you get watts. Divide by 751
and you get true HP.

Close but no cigar.

AC electric motors are inductive not pure resistive devices so you must
also include power factor in the calculations which is not a simple
matter without test equipment.

BTW, there are 746 watts per horsepower.

On top of which my major point is that on any woodworking machine the
inertia, etc., are such that an instantaneous "peak" power isn't doing
anything, anyway.

Clint

Thanks for the offer, Steve! If I didn't suspect it would cost more to ship
up here (to Canada) than to buy this one used, I'd probably take you up on
that. Who do you normally use to ship to Canada, anyway?

Clint

"Steve knight" wrote in message
On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 18:37:24 GMT, "Clint" wrote:

Thanks for the input, everyone! Not sure if I'm closer to making a
decision, but more information (which I requested) is always good.

I would give you mine it is close to the model tough a bit older for
free. it is so load even with ear muffs on it drives me nuts. free was
a bad price for this one.
you can have mine for shipping.
Knight-Toolworks
http://www.knight-toolworks.com
affordable handmade wooden planes

I've had a Sears belt-drive, oiled, 20 gallon compressor since 1988.
Aside from woodworking, I painted 3 car (restorations) projects with
it.

Sears stuff is cheap. I don't know how it would hold up under all day
usage. Mine probably has 30 hours on it total time.

If you are running power tools or spraying finishes you want a water
separator. An inline oil mister is good if using power tools. And above
all, get a 220 unit if your house is wired for it. The units run much,
much cooler.

Calculate capacity (ie., hp needs) by matching the highest air gulper
in your tool box. Usually, that is an air sander. Paint guns use
relatively little. Impact guns are medium users. The new HVLP guns
don't even warrant a 220v compressor, so save money.

The nice thing about any compressor, whether it be cheap or fancy, you
can unbolt any component that fails and put on a new one. Such as the
pump unit, controller, motor.

The Grainger catalogue allows you to virtually build your own from
components. I have a small, diaphram compressor (110) my wife uses with
her airbrush art projects. But the big one pumps up my bike tires, and
powers my air ratchet on all car repairs, as well as furniture repair.

Sears compressors, overall, are pretty low quality. Have you considered
getting a used unit?

Gary Curtis
Los Angeles

Dave Balderstone

In article GDKKe.174129$9A2.102507@edtnps89, Clint
wrote:

Who do you normally use to ship to Canada, anyway?

Never use UPS to ship from the US to Canada. They'll kill you on
customs charges.

Never, ever.

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com
Steve knight

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 16:01:42 GMT, "Clint" wrote:

Thanks for the offer, Steve! If I didn't suspect it would cost more to ship
up here (to Canada) than to buy this one used, I'd probably take you up on
that. Who do you normally use to ship to Canada, anyway?

it would cost too much and it can't be shipped through the post
office.
Knight-Toolworks
http://www.knight-toolworks.com
affordable handmade wooden planes
Obfuscated

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 13:10:24 +0000, Clint wrote:

I'm thinking it's time I got me some air tools, and this compressor has come
up for sale (used).

http://www6.sears.ca/webapp/wcs/stor...ctId=158060514

150psi, 33 gallon tank, 5.5cfm. Not sure if it being direct drive and oil
free are big issues...

Clint

I am "the maintenance guy" where I work. We have two of these. Unless you
absolutely MUST nake an immediate purchase, skip this one. Too much noise,
too hard on breakers. (20 amp dedicated circuit). The inside doesn't seem
to be finished in any way (rust in the drain water begining with the very
first draining after less than a week.)

Bill