Rich

Default Deck railing material

I was considering making a somewhat intricate deck railing out of 2x2s
and was wondering what the best material and finish to use (I want the
final product white).

What type of wood/finish (or wood substitute if it's workable like wood)
would last? And would it need yearly re-painting?

I'm in a fairly dry, sunny climate.

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Edwin Pawlowski

"Rich" wrote in message

I was considering making a somewhat intricate deck railing out of 2x2s and
was wondering what the best material and finish to use (I want the final
product white).

What type of wood/finish (or wood substitute if it's workable like wood)
would last? And would it need yearly re-painting?

There are some plastic materials that are white. I have no idea how well
they work,, how well they hold up, if they are in the sizes you need, etc.
Any lumber yard that deal in decking can help.

Most houses have window trim and soffits made of pine.. If kept painted, it
will last many years. You will get better weather resistance from cypress,
white oak, Spanish cedar, but they cost more.

A good paint job can last from 5 to 10 years depending on weather, sun
exposure, etc.

Stephen M

Properly applied, paint is good for 5-10 years in my experience. Painted
wood, not in direct contact with soil or standing water is going to hande
the elements pretty well . It's more important to find clear,
straight-grained stock than the optimal species.

2 x whatever stock is pretty low-grade stuff. That means that there are alot
of knots. The moisture content is also typically pretty high. That means
that they will have a tendency to warp as they dry out. Framers at able to
make flat walls out of this stuff because the pop the bands on the stack and
use the wood within a day or so (before it can dry much). Assembled, the
components of a wall tend to stay put better.

If you must do this on the cheap, avoid smaller dimmension 2 by's, they tend
to be the worst. Go to the 2x10 or 2x12 pile and look for the clearest stock
you can find there. Find a piece with end grain that looks like (((((0)))))
Cut out and discard the pith (center). Rip your 2x2's from that.

-Steve

"Rich" wrote in message

I was considering making a somewhat intricate deck railing out of 2x2s
and was wondering what the best material and finish to use (I want the
final product white).

What type of wood/finish (or wood substitute if it's workable like wood)
would last? And would it need yearly re-painting?

I'm in a fairly dry, sunny climate.

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Preston Andreas

Check out http://www.trex.com/ as well as other composite decking materials.
Don't know about painting it, but I am sure the manufacturer would give you
some information.

Preston