Edwin Pawlowski

"Rich" wrote in message

I was considering making a somewhat intricate deck railing out of 2x2s and
was wondering what the best material and finish to use (I want the final
product white).

What type of wood/finish (or wood substitute if it's workable like wood)
would last? And would it need yearly re-painting?

There are some plastic materials that are white. I have no idea how well
they work,, how well they hold up, if they are in the sizes you need, etc.
Any lumber yard that deal in decking can help.

Most houses have window trim and soffits made of pine.. If kept painted, it
will last many years. You will get better weather resistance from cypress,
white oak, Spanish cedar, but they cost more.

A good paint job can last from 5 to 10 years depending on weather, sun
exposure, etc.