Guess who

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 13:55:21 -0700, Andrew Walsh
nomail wrote:

How do you calculate the displacement of a cylinder 22 inches long with a
circumference of 12.5 inches.

C = 2Pi*R so R = C/(2Pi)

A = Pi*R^2 = PI * (C/2*Pi)^2 = (C^2) / (4Pi)

V = Ah = (C^2)*h/(4Pi)

Stick in the numbers and calculate.

Method 2: Find a graduated cylinder large enough [or make one] and
drop it into some water and measure the increase in volume.

Steve DeMars

Default Formula needed for displacement

For the finest conversion program in the world, you can't beat Prokon. Try
it for free, if you like it $20.00 is not bad . . .

http://members.sockets.net/~schwartz/

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 13:55:21 -0700, the opaque Andrew Walsh
nomail clearly wrote:

How do you calculate the displacement of a cylinder 22 inches long with a
circumference of 12.5 inches.

Turn to page 355 of Lee Valley's Handyman-In-Your-Pocket reference
book, Andy, old chap. V = (1/6) pi D3 = 0.5235988 x D-cubed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Heart Attacks: God's revenge for eating his little animal friends
-- http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development --
Lew Hodgett

Andrew Walsh nomail wrote:
How do you calculate the displacement of a cylinder 22 inches long with a
circumference of 12.5 inches.

Get a third grade math book, then read and understand it.

Lew

Roy Smith

In article t,
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Andrew Walsh nomail wrote:
How do you calculate the displacement of a cylinder 22 inches long with a
circumference of 12.5 inches.

Get a third grade math book, then read and understand it.

Lew

Actually, the third grade math book might tell you how to calculate the
volume of the cylinder, but you don't have enough information to calculate
its displacement. Displacement is a measure of weight, not of volume.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
Actually, the third grade math book might tell you how to calculate the
volume of the cylinder, but you don't have enough information to calculate
its displacement. Displacement is a measure of weight, not of volume.

But if you know the volume and density of the material to be displaced you
can do it.

Swingman

"Roy Smith" wrote in message

Actually, the third grade math book might tell you how to calculate the
volume of the cylinder, but you don't have enough information to calculate
its displacement. Displacement is a measure of weight, not of volume.

In a tank of water there is floating a tin tray. On the tray is a glass
bottle filled up with water. Someone comes along and upsets the whole
arrangement. The glass bottle and the tray are both completely submerged
under the water. Does this upsetting of the tray and bottle cause the level
of water in the tank, taken at the side of the tank, to go up or to go
down – or does the level remain unchanged?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/31/05

Roy Smith

In article ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
Actually, the third grade math book might tell you how to calculate the
volume of the cylinder, but you don't have enough information to calculate
its displacement. Displacement is a measure of weight, not of volume.

But if you know the volume and density of the material to be displaced you
can do it.

This is true, but in the original problem statement, we weren't given the
density.
Roy Smith

In article ,
"Swingman" wrote:

"Roy Smith" wrote in message

Actually, the third grade math book might tell you how to calculate the
volume of the cylinder, but you don't have enough information to calculate
its displacement. Displacement is a measure of weight, not of volume.

In a tank of water there is floating a tin tray. On the tray is a glass
bottle filled up with water. Someone comes along and upsets the whole
arrangement. The glass bottle and the tray are both completely submerged
under the water. Does this upsetting of the tray and bottle cause the level
of water in the tank, taken at the side of the tank, to go up or to go
down – or does the level remain unchanged?

Wow, that's a cool problem. I'm going to vote for "the level goes down",
but I'll admit I had to think on it for a while.

When the pan-bottle system is floating, the weight of the water it
displaces is exactly equal to the weight of the floating stuff. That much
is obvious.

Because it sinks, it must weigh more than the water it displaces while
submerged. Looking at it the other way, the weight of the water it
displaces while submerged is less than its own weight.

Since it displaces less water while submerged, the level in the tank must
have gone down when it sank. At least I think that's the right answer :-)
Guess who

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 18:07:41 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

How do you calculate the displacement of a cylinder 22 inches long with a
circumference of 12.5 inches.

Turn to page 355 of Lee Valley's Handyman-In-Your-Pocket reference
book, Andy, old chap. V = (1/6) pi D3 = 0.5235988 x D-cubed.

Larry, old chap, you're quite wrong. That's the volume for a sphere
of diameter D, not a cylinder of circumference C and height [or
length] h.

Guess who

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 22:03:05 -0400, Roy Smith wrote:

Actually, the third grade math book might tell you how to calculate the
volume of the cylinder, but you don't have enough information to calculate
its displacement. Displacement is a measure of weight, not of volume.

Displacement is an older term, not now used, for volume, since it
could be measured by liquid displacement.

Guess who

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 21:23:19 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

In a tank of water there is floating a tin tray. On the tray is a glass
bottle filled up with water. Someone comes along and upsets the whole
arrangement. The glass bottle and the tray are both completely submerged
under the water. Does this upsetting of the tray and bottle cause the level
of water in the tank, taken at the side of the tank, to go up or to go
down – or does the level remain unchanged?

That's older than I am; a problem in density ...displacement of water
volume equal to ...etc. The clue is to think about the water in the
bottle [mass, volume], and to think about what would happen if the
bottle was empty.

Unquestionably Confused

Roy Smith wrote:
In article t,
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Andrew Walsh nomail wrote:

How do you calculate the displacement of a cylinder 22 inches long with a
circumference of 12.5 inches.

Get a third grade math book, then read and understand it.

Lew

Actually, the third grade math book might tell you how to calculate the
volume of the cylinder, but you don't have enough information to calculate
its displacement. Displacement is a measure of weight, not of volume.

But if the OP wasn't hosing us when he said he couldn't figure out V, r
or h, which is more likely: That he wanted the volume and said
displacement? or vice versa?

George

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
In article ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
Actually, the third grade math book might tell you how to calculate the
volume of the cylinder, but you don't have enough information to
calculate
its displacement. Displacement is a measure of weight, not of volume.

But if you know the volume and density of the material to be displaced
you
can do it.

This is true, but in the original problem statement, we weren't given the
density.

Displacement, as someone has mentioned is how much of whatever else is moved
out of the way by what you have. That's volume. Now if you're looking for
density, the common reference is water (SG), where if you know the volume,
think EUREKA!

You need not run naked through the streets of Syracuse, however, it's been
done.

Swingman

"Roy Smith" wrote in message

Wow, that's a cool problem. I'm going to vote for "the level goes down",
but I'll admit I had to think on it for a while.

Bingo! ... you get to collect the cabal dues this month and deduct your 25%
handling fee.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/31/05

Larry Jaques

wrote:

How do you calculate the displacement of a cylinder 22 inches long with a
circumference of 12.5 inches.

Turn to page 355 of Lee Valley's Handyman-In-Your-Pocket reference
book, Andy, old chap. V = (1/6) pi D3 = 0.5235988 x D-cubed.

Larry, old chap, you're quite wrong. That's the volume for a sphere
of diameter D, not a cylinder of circumference C and height [or
length] h.

Oops, I did give sphere, didn't I? sigh Mea culpa.

That's OK, though. Judging by his response to the proper formula, the
OP doesn't have anything CLOSE to a clue anyway. Spoonfeeding time.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Heart Attacks: God's revenge for eating his little animal friends
-- http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development --
Guess who

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 05:37:19 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Turn to page 355 of Lee Valley's Handyman-In-Your-Pocket reference
book, Andy, old chap. V = (1/6) pi D3 = 0.5235988 x D-cubed.

Larry, old chap, you're quite wrong. That's the volume for a sphere
of diameter D, not a cylinder of circumference C and height [or
length] h.

Oops, I did give sphere, didn't I? sigh Mea culpa.

Been there ...who hasn't?

Guess who

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 09:05:10 -0700, Andrew Walsh
nomail wrote:

That's OK, though. Judging by his response to the proper formula, the
OP doesn't have anything CLOSE to a clue anyway. Spoonfeeding time.

Thanks for the help.
I was raised in an area of Canada known as the Yukon and never saw a school
until I was 14.
I'm a stone and wood carver and it pays my bills. If I could afford to go to
school I would.

Pay no attention. My father had little schooling, but was likely the
cleverest man I ever met. It showed in what he did with the schooling
he had, and the use of his brain in his trade. You'll find that the
smartest people all around are the humblest. They're smart enough to
know how little they know in the scheme of things. A good way to
reply would be to show some photos of your work in
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking .

George E. Cawthon

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Andrew Walsh nomail wrote:

How do you calculate the displacement of a cylinder 22 inches long with a
circumference of 12.5 inches.

Get a third grade math book, then read and understand it.

Lew

Yeah right! Most third graders can't add very
well and about 1/2 of them can read the title of
the book.
George E. Cawthon

Roy Smith wrote:
In article t,
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Andrew Walsh nomail wrote:

How do you calculate the displacement of a cylinder 22 inches long with a
circumference of 12.5 inches.

Get a third grade math book, then read and understand it.

Lew

Actually, the third grade math book might tell you how to calculate the
volume of the cylinder, but you don't have enough information to calculate
its displacement. Displacement is a measure of weight, not of volume.

You sure you don't mean a math book for the third
year of high school?

George E. Cawthon

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Roy Smith" wrote in message

Actually, the third grade math book might tell you how to calculate the
volume of the cylinder, but you don't have enough information to calculate
its displacement. Displacement is a measure of weight, not of volume.

But if you know the volume and density of the material to be displaced you
can do it.

If it sinks in water you know the volume and the
displacement are the same.
Duane Bozarth

wrote:

That's OK, though. Judging by his response to the proper formula, the
OP doesn't have anything CLOSE to a clue anyway. Spoonfeeding time.

Thanks for the help.
I was raised in an area of Canada known as the Yukon and never saw a school
until I was 14.
I'm a stone and wood carver and it pays my bills. If I could afford to go to
school I would.

Well, I certainly never expected to find an individual these days on the
rec who actually hadn't had at least the opportunity to receive at
least a high school education -- so, given that this is apparently the
case I'll make a partial retraction of my former comments but note that
a little googling would have undoubtedly brought up a plethora of sites
containing all the "geometry explained" sites necessary to answer this
and many other questions...
LRod

wrote:

That's OK, though. Judging by his response to the proper formula, the
OP doesn't have anything CLOSE to a clue anyway. Spoonfeeding time.

Thanks for the help.
I was raised in an area of Canada known as the Yukon and never saw a school
until I was 14.
I'm a stone and wood carver and it pays my bills. If I could afford to go to
school I would.

Well, I certainly never expected to find an individual these days on the
rec who actually hadn't had at least the opportunity to receive at
least a high school education -- so, given that this is apparently the
case I'll make a partial retraction of my former comments but note that
a little googling would have undoubtedly brought up a plethora of sites
containing all the "geometry explained" sites necessary to answer this
and many other questions...

Boy, I guess I sure missed the mark. I saw a question to which I knew
the answer, and proceeded to give it, complete with my work (haven't
been able to "show my work" in ages) to the OP.

Little did I know that it was somehow inappropriate or against the
rules--that we're supposed to find out for ourselves.

Instead, we get the OP's message, about three posts with the answer,
another half dozen or so with information leading to the right answer
and the rest of the 41 posts (to date) lambasting the OP for not
knowing the answer, not knowing the underlying math, misstating the
proposition, and not looking elsewhere for the answer.

What a bunch of crap.

All you people jumping on the OP on the assumption he was too lazy to
look up the answer on his own are ten times worse, because you were
too lazy to ignore the friggin' original post in the first place.

What a bunch of crap.

But I repeat myself.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Duane Bozarth

LRod wrote:

Boy, I guess I sure missed the mark. I saw a question to which I knew
the answer, and proceeded to give it, complete with my work (haven't
been able to "show my work" in ages) to the OP.

Little did I know that it was somehow inappropriate or against the
rules--that we're supposed to find out for ourselves.

Chill, man...

I was simply making a (partial) apology to OP who lambasted me for being
excessively terse in the response (although I'll admit this isn't in
exactly sequential order so you may have missed his reply to my post
which simply provided the formula needed w/ no amplification on the
assumption anyone here would have had HS math and simply needed
reminding of a formula).

While I also tend to answer most anything I know, I also tend to try to
point folks to the fact they could probably have found the answer
quicker more than likely on their own in the case of really simple stuff
or to other ways/places where more fundamental results can be found.

The rec isn't one to particularly harp on the issue of FAQ's and so on,
some other ng's I frequent are very much in that mode and I probably
tend to bring some of that here as well.
Dave Balderstone

In article ,
wrote:

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 20:00:59 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

If it sinks in water you know the volume and the
displacement are the same.

Last time I saw logic like that Eric Idle was saying "She's a witch !"

Isn't George correct? If an item sinks in water it displaces its own
volume of water.

Eureka! and all that.

If two objects of different mass displace the same volume of water, you
can determine which object is more dense than the other.

Eureka!

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com

George

"LRod" wrote in message
Boy, I guess I sure missed the mark. I saw a question to which I knew
the answer, and proceeded to give it, complete with my work (haven't
been able to "show my work" in ages) to the OP.
Instead, we get the OP's message, about three posts with the answer,
another half dozen or so with information leading to the right answer
and the rest of the 41 posts (to date) lambasting the OP for not
knowing the answer, not knowing the underlying math, misstating the
proposition, and not looking elsewhere for the answer.

What a bunch of crap.

Goes back to what they teach teachers - honor the question to honor the
student.

Even if both of them are a bunch of crap.

Doug Miller

In article , Roy Smith wrote:

Actually, the third grade math book might tell you how to calculate the
volume of the cylinder, but you don't have enough information to calculate
its displacement. Displacement is a measure of weight, not of volume.

Only for floating objects. An object that is *immersed* in water displaces its
volume, not its weight.

--
Regards,

Bruce T

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
In article t,
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Andrew Walsh nomail wrote:
How do you calculate the displacement of a cylinder 22 inches long with
circumference of 12.5 inches.

Get a third grade math book, then read and understand it.

Lew

Actually, the third grade math book might tell you how to calculate the
volume of the cylinder, but you don't have enough information to calculate
its displacement. Displacement is a measure of weight, not of volume.

Not sure I agree with this....Automobile engines are referred to as having a
DISPLACEMENT of xxx cubic inches (or liters) which is a volumetric measure.

Bruce T

Larry Jaques

wrote:

That's OK, though. Judging by his response to the proper formula, the
OP doesn't have anything CLOSE to a clue anyway. Spoonfeeding time.

Thanks for the help.
I was raised in an area of Canada known as the Yukon and never saw a school
until I was 14.
I'm a stone and wood carver and it pays my bills. If I could afford to go to
school I would.

Sorry about that, but the way you answered the other guys...

If you're interested, you can buy school books at a real
discount on the Web from www.ABEbooks.com , www.Ebay.com ,
and www.Half.com, Andrew. Buying older versions at a dollar
or two per copy is always an option, too, and since math
doesn't change, it's a valid option. G'luck.

Unfortunately, the term "Homo Sapiens" is a goal, not a description.
----
http://www.diversify.com Web Design for YOUR Business!
Roy Smith

In article , "George" George@least
wrote:

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
In article ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
Actually, the third grade math book might tell you how to calculate the
volume of the cylinder, but you don't have enough information to
calculate
its displacement. Displacement is a measure of weight, not of volume.

But if you know the volume and density of the material to be displaced
you
can do it.

This is true, but in the original problem statement, we weren't given the
density.

Displacement, as someone has mentioned is how much of whatever else is moved
out of the way by what you have. That's volume. Now if you're looking for
density, the common reference is water (SG), where if you know the volume,
think EUREKA!

You need not run naked through the streets of Syracuse, however, it's been
done.

If only Archimedes had read HHGTTG, he would have known where his towel
was. :-)

LRod

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 21:03:39 -0400, "Bruce T"
wrote:

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
In article t,
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Andrew Walsh nomail wrote:
How do you calculate the displacement of a cylinder 22 inches long with
circumference of 12.5 inches.

Get a third grade math book, then read and understand it.

Lew

Actually, the third grade math book might tell you how to calculate the
volume of the cylinder, but you don't have enough information to calculate
its displacement. Displacement is a measure of weight, not of volume.

Not sure I agree with this....Automobile engines are referred to as having a
DISPLACEMENT of xxx cubic inches (or liters) which is a volumetric measure.

Displacement has at least two meanings. You covered the second, Roy
covered the first. I addressed both of those in my original answer to
the OP.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Dave Balderstone

In article
, George E.
Cawthon wrote:

Oh? are you saying that it isn't true?

I think he's saying you're made of wood. Or weigh the same as a duck.

;-)

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com
George E. Cawthon

LRod wrote:
On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 21:03:39 -0400, "Bruce T"
wrote:

"Roy Smith" wrote in message

In article t,
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Andrew Walsh nomail wrote:

How do you calculate the displacement of a cylinder 22 inches long with
circumference of 12.5 inches.

Get a third grade math book, then read and understand it.

Lew

Actually, the third grade math book might tell you how to calculate the
volume of the cylinder, but you don't have enough information to calculate
its displacement. Displacement is a measure of weight, not of volume.

Not sure I agree with this....Automobile engines are referred to as having a
DISPLACEMENT of xxx cubic inches (or liters) which is a volumetric measure.

Displacement has at least two meanings. You covered the second, Roy
covered the first. I addressed both of those in my original answer to
the OP.

Displacement always means volume. You might
derive a weight being displaced but you have to
define what is being displaced. Anyone who uses a
scientific balance know that to accurately measure
a mass, you have to account for the weight of air
displaced by the weights. All of which is rather
weighty and definitely has something to do with
volumes.
George E. Cawthon

Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article
, George E.
Cawthon wrote:

Oh? are you saying that it isn't true?

I think he's saying you're made of wood. Or weigh the same as a duck.

;-)

Don't have a clue, since I don't know who Eric
Idle is or what he was talking about. I guess I
just don't care, since he obviously has a screw
loose, err, I counted them and it is actually two
screws, 5 bolts, and 4 rivets loose, plus the back
bumper is dragging on the ground, but it is
getting sharp.

Dave Balderstone

In article ,
George E. Cawthon wrote:

Don't have a clue, since I don't know who Eric
Idle is or what he was talking about.

The references are to a scene in the film "Monty Python and the Holy
Grail". The script for the scene is he

http://www.mwscomp.com/movies/grail/grail-05.htm

George E. Cawthon

Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article ,
George E. Cawthon wrote:

Don't have a clue, since I don't know who Eric
Idle is or what he was talking about.

The references are to a scene in the film "Monty Python and the Holy
Grail". The script for the scene is he

http://www.mwscomp.com/movies/grail/grail-05.htm

Aha! I've got the VCR tape but didn't remember who
Erick Idle was. Actually I don't remember, or
ever knew the names of the guys in the troop. I
still don't remember "She's a witch." must not be
very memorable, at least to me. The knights that
say nicht, the frenchmen on the castle walls, and
the rabbit must have been way funnier as I
remember them. Particularly the rabbit. Almost
as funny as Jimmy Carters attack rabbit.
Dave Mundt

Greetings and Salutations...

wrote:

How do you calculate the displacement of a cylinder 22 inches long with a
circumference of 12.5 inches.

Turn to page 355 of Lee Valley's Handyman-In-Your-Pocket reference
book, Andy, old chap. V = (1/6) pi D3 = 0.5235988 x D-cubed.

Larry, old chap, you're quite wrong. That's the volume for a sphere
of diameter D, not a cylinder of circumference C and height [or
length] h.

Ok...without reading the REST of this thread...the volume of
a cylinder is defined as the area of the END of the cylinder times
the length. The area of a circle is defined as PI * radius^2
Now...since we have not been given the radius...we also
know that the circumference of a circle is defined as PI * D.
Doing a bit of re-arranging... radius = (Circumference /PI) / 2
Plugging some numbers in...
Radius = (12.5" / 3.142) / 2 = 1.98"
Now lets see if we can figure out the volume.
formula: area = 1.333 * PI * (radius^2)
and, plugging some numbers in:
Area = (3.142 * (1.98 * 1.98)) = 12.317 sq"
We know that the height of the cylinder is 22 inches,
so the volume should be (Height * Area)
Volume = (22 * 12.317) = 270.993 cubic inches.

Hope this makes sense...
Regards
Dave Mundt

I think LRod posted the correct answer in post #11. Below I have
reposted his thoughts on this and have added some notes in case the
calculated numbers like 3.97899 might actually be 4 in true measure.

Well, the area of the circle describing the cylinder is pi*r^2, so to
find r we must first determine the diameter by dividing the
circumference by pi :

12.5"/pi = 3.97899" (diameter) (*true measure might be 4")

The radius then is 3.97899/2 = 1.989" (true measure might be 2")

Then we find the area of the circle described by the cylinder as
pi * r^2

1.989^2 = 3.958 (*true measure might be 2 squared = 4)
3.958 * pi = 12.434 in^2 (4 x 3.1416 = 12.5664)

Every linear inch of the length of that cylinder then is 12.434 in^3,
so the cylinder volume is 273.555 in^3

If there is an error in the original measurement and the true diameter
of the cylinder is 4", then the volume of the cylinder is 22 x 12.5664
= 276.4608 cu. in.

LRod

On 15 Aug 2005 07:29:09 -0700, "
wrote:

Thank you.

You know, if I had used "4" and "2" someone would have come along and
criticized my lack of precision.

Paint formula changes av Home Repair 27 May 28th 14 08:02 AM
Formula needed for displacement Dan Major Woodworking 14 August 15th 05 01:57 PM
21st Century E-Commerce Money Making Formula NeoOne Home Ownership 0 January 4th 05 02:41 AM
21st Century E-Commerce Money Making Formula NeoOne Woodworking 0 January 3rd 05 03:54 AM
greek "pi" in cutting speed formula of gear shaper similar to Lorenz LS400 natarajan ayyavu Metalworking 0 November 29th 03 06:04 AM