Dan Major

Default Formula needed for displacement

Andrew Walsh nomail wrote in
:

How do you calculate the displacement of a cylinder 22 inches long with a
circumference of 12.5 inches.

Well, the circumference is 2 * pi * radius, and the volume is
pi * radius * radius * height
you do the math.

BTW - how do you remember the value of pi?
Wow, I need a drink, alcoholic of course!
(count the number of letters in each word)
Unquestionably Confused

on 8/4/2005 3:55 PM Andrew Walsh nomail said the following:
How do you calculate the displacement of a cylinder 22 inches long with a
circumference of 12.5 inches.

The volume of a cylinder equals the (area of the base)*height = π r2 h

I'm not going to do all the math for you but determine the radius the
easy way (measure or it) or extrapolate it from the circumference and
go. I'd just use 3.14 for pi and let it go at that.

George

"Andrew Walsh nomail" wrote in message

How do you calculate the displacement of a cylinder 22 inches long with a
circumference of 12.5 inches.

Pi r squared H is the formula for a cylinder. 3.1416*3.9788*3.9788*22 =
1094?

Swingman

"Andrew Walsh nomail" wrote in message

How do you calculate the displacement of a cylinder 22 inches long with a
circumference of 12.5 inches.

First find the radius of the base with:

diameter = circumference/?

Then divide the diameter by 2 to get the radius, then plug in below

Then use the area of the base (? r2 ) times the height of the cylinder to
get the volume:

V = (? r2) (h)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/31/05

Swingman

"Swingman" wrote in message news:...
"Andrew Walsh nomail" wrote in message

How do you calculate the displacement of a cylinder 22 inches long with

circumference of 12.5 inches.

First find the radius of the base with:

diameter = circumference/?

Then divide the diameter by 2 to get the radius, then plug in below

Then use the area of the base (? r2 ) times the height of the cylinder to
get the volume:

V = (? r2) (h)

Sorry ... my characters screwed up: ? is "pi" ... (use 3.14 for pi and
you'll be close enough).

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/31/05

George

"George" George@least wrote in message

"Andrew Walsh nomail" wrote in message

How do you calculate the displacement of a cylinder 22 inches long with a
circumference of 12.5 inches.

Pi r squared H is the formula for a cylinder. 3.1416*3.9788*3.9788*22 =
1094?

oops. 12.5 / 3.14 = 3.9788 which should be divided by two to give radius.
273.5

LRod

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 13:55:21 -0700, Andrew Walsh
nomail wrote:

How do you calculate the displacement of a cylinder 22 inches long with a
circumference of 12.5 inches.

Well, the area of the circle describing the cylinder is pi*r^2, so to
find r we must first determine the diameter by dividing the
circumference by pi :

12.5"/pi = 3.97899" (diameter)

The radius then is 3.97899/2 = 1.989"

Then we find the area of the circle described by the cylinder as
pi * r^2

1.989^2 = 3.958
3.958 * pi = 12.434 in^2

Every linear inch of the length of that cylinder then is 12.434 in^3,
so the cylinder volume is 273.555 in^3

However, displacement perhaps isn't the right word. Most often when
discussing a cylinder, displacement means how much volume is displaced
when a piston is moved in it, which is a function of the stroke of the
piston, not the length of the cylinder.

Or, displacement could also mean how much water is displaced when a
cylinder of the size described is placed in it, but that's a function
of the weight of the cylinder in addition to the volume and can't be
easily determined with the information given.

Which all means I might have missed the point of the question
entirely.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Duane Bozarth

Andrew Walsh nomail wrote:

How do you calculate the displacement of a cylinder 22 inches long with a
circumference of 12.5 inches.

V = pi*r^2*h
Duane Bozarth

Andrew Walsh nomail wrote:

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 17:08:40 -0500, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

Andrew Walsh nomail wrote:

How do you calculate the displacement of a cylinder 22 inches long with a
circumference of 12.5 inches.

V = pi*r^2*h

That's easy.
Now if I just knew what V was, and r, and h I would have this solved.

Thank God some of the other answers were a bit less cryptic.

Well, if you can't even figure out that the volume is a functionof the
radius and height, I think there's no hope...
JoeTaxpayer

Dan Major wrote:

Andrew Walsh nomail wrote in
:

How do you calculate the displacement of a cylinder 22 inches long with a
circumference of 12.5 inches.

Well, the circumference is 2 * pi * radius, and the volume is
pi * radius * radius * height
you do the math.

BTW - how do you remember the value of pi?
Wow, I need a drink, alcoholic of course!
(count the number of letters in each word)

How I wish I could determine pi Eureka! cried the great inventor
Christmas pudding, Christmas pie is the problem's very centre.

John DeBoo

JoeTaxpayer wrote:

Dan Major wrote:

Andrew Walsh nomail wrote in
:

How do you calculate the displacement of a cylinder 22 inches long
with a
circumference of 12.5 inches.

Well, the circumference is 2 * pi * radius, and the volume is
pi * radius * radius * height
you do the math.

BTW - how do you remember the value of pi?
Wow, I need a drink, alcoholic of course!
(count the number of letters in each word)

How I wish I could determine pi Eureka! cried the great inventor
Christmas pudding, Christmas pie is the problem's very centre.

Pi are squared? No, pi are round, cornbread are square!
Wood Butcher

If you have a 4 function calculator -
Take the 1st 3 odd digits and double them up thusly - 113355
Then divide thusly:
____
113|355 The ascii art is probably not going to show correctly
but should show 113 divided into 355.

The result is correct to 0.00000027, or about 0.1PPM.

Art

"JoeTaxpayer" wrote in message

BTW - how do you remember the value of pi?
Wow, I need a drink, alcoholic of course!
(count the number of letters in each word)

How I wish I could determine pi Eureka! cried the great inventor
Christmas pudding, Christmas pie is the problem's very centre.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Andrew Walsh nomail" wrote in message

V = pi*r^2*h

That's easy.
Now if I just knew what V was, and r, and h I would have this solved.

Thank God some of the other answers were a bit less cryptic.

Nothing cryptic about if for 7th or 8th grade math students. Ok, a hint, V
= volume. Just think about what the others may be and you can solve it.

Duane Bozarth

wrote:

Andrew Walsh nomail wrote:

How do you calculate the displacement of a cylinder 22 inches long with a
circumference of 12.5 inches.

V = pi*r^2*h

That's easy.
Now if I just knew what V was, and r, and h I would have this solved.

Thank God some of the other answers were a bit less cryptic.

Well, if you can't even figure out that the volume is a functionof the
radius and height, I think there's no hope...

Although I grant I made the (perhaps rash) assumption that you could
somehow muddle through to find the radius of a circle knowing the
circumference...

If that's the root of the problem, then since c = pi*d = 2*pi*r == r =
c/(2*pi)

From which it follows that

V = pi*[c/(2*pi)]^2*h = c^2*h/(4*pi)
DAC

Convert values to ft, go to
http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/deput...volcalchtm.htm

Paint formula changes av Home Repair 27 May 28th 14 08:02 AM
21st Century E-Commerce Money Making Formula NeoOne Home Ownership 0 January 4th 05 02:41 AM
21st Century E-Commerce Money Making Formula NeoOne Woodworking 0 January 3rd 05 11:39 PM
21st Century E-Commerce Money Making Formula NeoOne Woodworking 0 January 3rd 05 03:54 AM
greek "pi" in cutting speed formula of gear shaper similar to Lorenz LS400 natarajan ayyavu Metalworking 0 November 29th 03 06:04 AM