connor aston

Default Finishing over the top of stain

Do you think I can finish my stained project with a top coat of quick
drying varnish (water based)
im pretty sure the stain is oil based? Link below is to the manufacturers
site.

http://www.colron.co.uk/prodshow.asp...ing&intext=int

The projects made from 19mm white oak MDF are he

http://www.beanpix.com/gallery/conno.../a050803121938

I stained them last night and would like to varnish them tonight.

So the question is will putting a quick drying varnish over the top of
this stain ruin the project?
Edwin Pawlowski

"connor aston" wrote in message
newsp.suxl0uweyacudf@dellman...
Do you think I can finish my stained project with a top coat of quick
drying varnish (water based)
im pretty sure the stain is oil based? Link below is to the manufacturers
site.

http://www.colron.co.uk/prodshow.asp...ing&intext=int

The projects made from 19mm white oak MDF are he

http://www.beanpix.com/gallery/conno.../a050803121938

I stained them last night and would like to varnish them tonight.

So the question is will putting a quick drying varnish over the top of
this stain ruin the project?

It says it is a dye and dries in 6 hours. If that is the case, you are good
to go. I've put oil over oil in that time but I've never used water over
oil. I'd try a small section that is not going to be visible or on a scrap
if you have one with the dye on it.

connor aston

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 13:52:38 +0100, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

I have to deliver this on Sunday so i supposed if I coat a sample tonight
then see if it dries
by tommorrow things should be ok. Thanks

connor aston

So how stupid am I . . . ???!!!!!
text from the ASK COLORON website

Colron Products

Q. Can water based varnishes be applied over Colron Wood Dye?

A. Yes, but allow the dye to dry for at least 24 hours and wipe with a
clean dry cloth prior to varnishing.

2/12/2003
Related Product: Colron Wood Dye

Sorry Folks

Connor Aston

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 13:22:07 +0100, connor aston
wrote:

Do you think I can finish my stained project with a top coat of quick
drying varnish (water based)
im pretty sure the stain is oil based? Link below is to the
manufacturers site.

http://www.colron.co.uk/prodshow.asp...ing&intext=int

The projects made from 19mm white oak MDF are he

http://www.beanpix.com/gallery/conno.../a050803121938

I stained them last night and would like to varnish them tonight.

So the question is will putting a quick drying varnish over the top of
this stain ruin the project?

Well now folks. The stain has been a great success and the 2nd coat of
quick drying (water based) varish is on.
Delivery is 12 noon Sunday. Those foam applicators that I first saw on
norms show are excellent for varnish.
I had real trouble finding them in Northern ireland. I eventually had to
get them from axminster.co.uk based in southern england, but they give a
great finish. Are these a North American design? you just never see them
in regular paint stores here in Ireland.

So thanks for you support (confidence). regards connor will publih the
final finished project on my beanpix site. (see earlier post

Fiberglass Door Stain Billy Home Ownership 4 July 31st 06 03:22 PM
Finishing Wood (Staining Cheerry? Oh No!) WillR Woodworking 9 June 9th 05 02:41 PM
Hood Wiping Wood Stain Test Rumpty Woodworking 4 November 26th 04 01:33 AM
acid stain concrete WHoME? Home Repair 8 August 5th 04 03:05 AM
Finishing question - pin holes in second coat Bay Area Dave Woodworking 6 November 23rd 03 03:43 PM