J T

Default CONCEALED DOOR

I've been looking for a way to put a few things out of sight.
Don't need to lock them up or anything, but didn't want hinges in view,
or a handle to open it. Just wanted them out of casual sight, but easy,
and quick, to access.

Been doing google and all that, but nothing made me happy. If you
use somethat that locks, you need a key, which can be misplaced, lost,
or not readily availablt at the time. A magnetic catch, using a magnet
to releast a catch, same.

Then yesterday I thought of the perfect solution. A panel that
form fits, held in place with magnets, probably rare earth magnets,
because if someone bumps into it, I wouldn't want it dislodging. Then
have a small piece that looks like a piece of decoration, but sticks out
far enough to pull the panel loose, and set aside. Viola, just what I
wanted.

I got the idea from the door to give access to my furnace. It is
hinged, with the hinges showing, but there's no handle or doorknob, so
people aren't apt to open it. Instead, there's a slight gap at the
bottom of the door, where I can slip my fingers under, and pull the door
open. It's held shut with a pretty strong magnet, so I have to be sure
I don't leave the door just cracked open, and turn around, because the
door is apt to be sucked shut by the magnet, so I have to be sure to
open it all the way.

If I was planning on storing the Hope Diamond, or some other
baubles, I would want something with some sort of a lock, at a minimum.
But, I'm not, so "out of sight, out of mind", will work.

JOAT
Yes, it's my truck. No, I won''t help you move.
- Seen on a bumper sticker

Bruce T

You might want to check out SOSS (brand name) invisible hinges tu use on
your panel. I made a similar panel in my old house when I moved a door in a
room with knotty pine paneling. The wall was concrete block with plaster on
one side and furred paneling on the other. I simply used drywall on the
plaster side and made a door out of the pine paneling I removed where the
new door was going to go. It was in a corner of the room, pretty much
inconspicuous, and made a great gun cabinet. I never did figure out a good
latching system, simply relied on friction between the paneling and the
door. Worked great for twenty-five years (and one break-in/burglary).
Probably still working fine for the new owners.

"J T" wrote in message
[...]

bridger

J T wrote:
the magnets, I believe they'll work better on this, as I'll only be
using 1/2" or 3/4" material. I'm starting to wonder now if I'll need to
do some rare earth magnet research. I want enough to keep the piece in
place, but I don't want to use so many I can't pull it loose. LOL

how about strong rare earth magnets on the top edge and light pull
magnetic push catches on the bottom edge. that way it won't fall out,
but press the bottom edge and it pops out enough to get your fingers in.

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 20:40:13 -0400, the opaque
(J T) clearly wrote:

Thu, Jul 28, 2005, 4:09pm
(Bruce*T) does
say:
You might want to check out SOSS (brand name) invisible hinges tu use on
your panel. snip

I had thought about invisible type hinges, and did some looking,
but seem to have missed these. Nice. I think tho, for this, I'll stick
with the magnets, I believe they'll work better on this, as I'll only be
using 1/2" or 3/4" material. I'm starting to wonder now if I'll need to
do some rare earth magnet research. I want enough to keep the piece in
place, but I don't want to use so many I can't pull it loose. LOL

Drop by Lee Valley Tools and get their 1/4 or 3/8" cups, magnets,
discs, and washers. They're plenty strong.

Magnets:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,42363,42348

Accessories:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,42363,42348

The only problem is limiting your LVT purchases. I seldom get away
from there with invoices less than $100, and I could easily spend 10
times that much each time if it weren't for my depth-limited pockets.
Do you have all 3 tool porn catalogs from Rob? Woodworking, Gardening,
and Hardware, all equally as enticing as the other. sigh

So many tools. So little time/money.

--

"See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things
over and over and over again for the truth to sink in,

G.W. Bush
Greece, N.Y., May 24, 2005

Upscale

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Drop by Lee Valley Tools and get their 1/4 or 3/8" cups, magnets,
discs, and washers. They're plenty strong.

Another idea he might consider is a magnetic door lock that won't open at
all unless a magnet is place in the proper location. Very small chance of
the hidden door being opened accidentally.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,41399,41403

The only problem is limiting your LVT purchases. I seldom get away
from there with invoices less than $100, and I could easily spend 10
times that much each time if it weren't for my depth-limited pockets.

And yeah, that's always a problem. Probably recommended to do mail order so
the window shopping doesn't turn into a financial bloodletting.

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 10:20:10 -0400, the opaque "Upscale"
clearly wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Drop by Lee Valley Tools and get their 1/4 or 3/8" cups, magnets,
discs, and washers. They're plenty strong.

Another idea he might consider is a magnetic door lock that won't open at
all unless a magnet is place in the proper location. Very small chance of
the hidden door being opened accidentally.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,41399,41403

Hey, neat idea, though he stated that it's not a stealth area.
This is the first time I've seen those. Rob's been holding out.

The only problem is limiting your LVT purchases. I seldom get away
from there with invoices less than $100, and I could easily spend 10
times that much each time if it weren't for my depth-limited pockets.

And yeah, that's always a problem. Probably recommended to do mail order so
the window shopping doesn't turn into a financial bloodletting.

It's awfully hard even with catalogs.

--
Guns don't kill people. Rappers do!
Upscale

"J T" wrote in message

I was thinking of something else when you came up with "push
catch". Now I've got it. But, using one, I'd have to use a hinge(s),
and I don't want that. So, just the magnets are what I'll go with.

Why? Magnetic push latch on one end of the door, small rare earth magnets
just large enough to hold on the other end of the door. Pushlatch to open it
just enough to grab the end of the door, pull the whole door away from the
opening. No hinges involved.