bridger

Pig wrote:
Beggin' your pardon, but two planes that don't intersect are indeed
parallel. First plane is the top face of the board, the second is the
bottom face of the board. If one face of the board is skewed, extended
out enough distance it will intersect with the other face. I don't
understand your comment at all.

Mutt.

also parallel are nested cylinders. and the two faces of cupped or
twisted lumber. a thicknesser won't necessarily take care of either of
those conditions.

Prometheus

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:46:56 -0000, CNT wrote:

Wow, thanks for the replies! Without owning a jointer, I just don't see
myself would use it much? Also, since I plan to start buying lumber from
Kettle Moriane Hardwares (Hartford, WI), they have a huge planer. I
bought few boards from them before and all they do is pull out the stock
I want, throw it in their planer, then it's done (only 50 cents per
pass). But no jointer?

Jointer is good for (and this may be an incomplete list)

-flattening bowed/cupped/twisted stock
-cleaning up ripped edges prior to glue up
-edge jointing two pieces at one go to insure a perfect fit on glued
up panels
-rabbeting the edges of panels (you can do this with a router or dado
stack as well, of course)

For my buck, the flattening ability is worth it alone- I don't know if
you've ever had stock warp after sawing or milling it, but I have, and
it's like gettting punched in the belly if you don't have a way to get
it back to where it needs to be. You can still use that wood for
*something*, but I've had to abandon projects because the stock I had
warped while working on them.

I've got a feeling it'd be used heavily, if you end up getting one-
though your projects will obviously differ from mine.

I just thought instead of having them planer for me, I would do it myself
at home? BTW, I have a 8' JointAbility (again, not use much lately).

FWIW, 50 cents a pass is a steal, unless they're intentionally taking
a whole lot of extra passes just to charge extra. Lots of places
charge by the hour, and it ends up costing an arm and a leg.

I will have to think about it now. Maybe I will still let my wife buy me
a planer, maybe the DeWalt 13"?

Now that's a different story- of course you should let your wife buy
you any tool that she wants! Here I thought you had to pay for it
yerself!

Review - DeWalt 7350 Planer Stand Tom Banes Woodworking 1 July 13th 05 06:47 AM
JOINTING WITH A PLANER J T Woodworking 4 January 3rd 05 11:54 PM
DIY planer blade sharpening revisitied:-) Lyndell Thompson Woodworking 0 March 25th 04 03:15 AM
Wide Planer, or Compact Planer + Wide Sander? Nate B Woodworking 5 January 21st 04 08:19 PM
DeWalt 735 planer review. BRFordJr Woodworking 11 December 16th 03 03:44 PM