No

Default Thinnest glue up

What would the minimum thickness, of a properly jointed, board, for edge
gluing be? I assume you couldn't edge glue veneer, nor would you actually
want to. Could you edge glue 1/8" stock? 3/16" stock? Assuming proper glue
and jointing. I would assume clamping could start to get tricky on thin
material.

Wood Butcher

Veneer is edge glued frequently. Especially when making
bookmatched sheets for panels. No clamps are used in the
edge gluing process, just veneer tape.

Art

"No" wrote in message ...
What would the minimum thickness, of a properly jointed, board, for edge
gluing be? I assume you couldn't edge glue veneer, nor would you actually
want to. Could you edge glue 1/8" stock? 3/16" stock? Assuming proper glue
and jointing. I would assume clamping could start to get tricky on thin
material.

bridger

No wrote:
What would the minimum thickness, of a properly jointed, board, for edge
gluing be? I assume you couldn't edge glue veneer, nor would you actually
want to. Could you edge glue 1/8" stock? 3/16" stock? Assuming proper glue
and jointing. I would assume clamping could start to get tricky on thin
material.

at some point your thin material ceases to support it's own weight. at
that point, like veneer, to be useful you'll need to attach it to a
substrate. it'll be edge glued, but the main thing holding it together
is the substrate.

clamping thin stock edge to edge is tricky. masking tape is pretty
useful as a clamp in these situations.

Jeff Cooper

No wrote:
What would the minimum thickness, of a properly jointed, board, for edge
gluing be? I assume you couldn't edge glue veneer, nor would you actually
want to. Could you edge glue 1/8" stock? 3/16" stock? Assuming proper glue
and jointing. I would assume clamping could start to get tricky on thin
material.

The thinest stock I've edge glued was 1/4" baltic birch plywood with
some white oak trim. I tried a edge to edge glue up and had trouble
getting a strong joint (probably because I couldn't clamp it very well).
I ended up using biscuits and didn't have any troubl with joint strength
after that.

Jeff
Odinn

On 7/25/2005 2:57 PM No mumbled something about the following:
What would the minimum thickness, of a properly jointed, board, for edge
gluing be? I assume you couldn't edge glue veneer, nor would you actually
want to. Could you edge glue 1/8" stock? 3/16" stock? Assuming proper glue
and jointing. I would assume clamping could start to get tricky on thin
material.

David Marks has edge glued 1/8" veneer quite often for bookmatch
veneers. Usually uses tape to keep the edges together, and bricks to
keep it weighted down flat.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply

Thomas Bunetta

"Odinn" wrote in message
snipped 4BW)
Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org

snipped 4BW)

Neat FAQ on that sight.
Don't ride anymore, but did for lotsa years!
Tom

James T. Kirby

No wrote:
What would the minimum thickness, of a properly jointed, board, for edge
gluing be? I assume you couldn't edge glue veneer, nor would you actually
want to. Could you edge glue 1/8" stock? 3/16" stock? Assuming proper glue
and jointing. I would assume clamping could start to get tricky on thin
material.

Think acoustic guitars, bookmatched tops and backs. These are usually glued
up with the plates rough sanded to the 1/8 inch range, then thickness sanded
down to the final desired thickness (anywhere from 2 mm (0.08in) up to 2.5 or
2.6 mm
(around .1in) ). joints are usually glued with a little clamping pressure, but
it is not
uncommon for backs to butt the hardwood plates up to each other with just
enough pressure to keep the
join closed, and then soak the joint with CA.

Jim Kirby

--
James T. Kirby
Center for Applied Coastal Research

phone: 302-831-2438
fax: 302-831-1228
email:
http://chinacat.coastal.udel.edu/~kirby

No

OK - Thanks everyone for your replies! So veneer is edge glued, I have not
yet had the opportunity to work with veneer.

So, it seems any thickness can be edge glued. If the material can support
itself then it can be glued and stand alone, veneers, of course, get
veneered.

"No" wrote in message ...
What would the minimum thickness, of a properly jointed, board, for edge
gluing be? I assume you couldn't edge glue veneer, nor would you actually
want to. Could you edge glue 1/8" stock? 3/16" stock? Assuming proper glue
and jointing. I would assume clamping could start to get tricky on thin
material.

Odinn

On 7/25/2005 10:06 PM Thomas Bunetta mumbled something about the following:
"Odinn" wrote in message
snipped 4BW)

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org

snipped 4BW)

Neat FAQ on that sight.
Don't ride anymore, but did for lotsa years!
Tom

I'm heading out tomorrow for Sturgis via Austin, Tx, Mesa Verde, Grand
Canyon, Vegas, Yosemite, Walla Walla WA, and Yellowstone and back via
Austin for a week there for work. I'll quit riding when they put cover
me with dirt

--
Odinn
RCOS #7
SENS(less)

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply
Thomas Bunetta

"Odinn" wrote in message
snipped 4BW
I'm heading out tomorrow for Sturgis via Austin, Tx, Mesa Verde, Grand
Canyon, Vegas, Yosemite, Walla Walla WA, and Yellowstone and back via
Austin for a week there for work. I'll quit riding when they put cover me
with dirt

--
Odinn
RCOS #7
SENS(less)

snipped 4BW

Is a hearty "You Suck" allowed by the Net nannies for an off topic Gloat?
Tom
Maker of Fine Sawdust and Thin Shavings