Jonathan Mau

Default bandsaw coming from in-laws

It was a garage sale find. Only fact I know for sure (maybe)
is that it is a 14 inch. My wife talked to my mother-in-law and the
inlaws are away on vacation. I will pick up this weekend if I can get
into the garage.

Probably junk, but they are good to me, so I will grin and bear it for a
while. Who knows, might be a real find, it happens sometimes (but usually
not me!)

Besides, starting with a crappy BS is probably a good idea in the way that
my first and only metal lathe (also crappy) was a good idea the day I
tossed the chuck and took a chunk out of the ways. Hopefully I won't
repeat that mistake if and when I get a real lathe.

Yours

Jonathan
RonB

Hey - if it is still sight unseen don't condemn it. There are a lot of good
tools sold in garage and estate sales because of death, illness or financial
worries.

Perspective: Several years ago a cousin's neighbor asked him if he would be
interested in buying any power tools. The neighbor's commercial cabinet
shop was getting ready to sell some depreciated, but lightly used,
equipment. One of them was a VERY lightly used 5HP Powermatic cabinet saw
still sitting on the shipping pallet - $400!. He also picked up a very
clean Powermatic stationary disk sander for $100.

Don't throw rocks until you see your target.

RonB

bf

Well if you don't have a bandsaw, and it is 14", that's a step up.
Get the Dunskinee (not sure if I spelled that right) book on tuning
bandsaws.
There's people that even get Harbor Fright Bandsaws working.

Jonathan Mau wrote:
It was a garage sale find. Only fact I know for sure (maybe)
is that it is a 14 inch. My wife talked to my mother-in-law and the
inlaws are away on vacation. I will pick up this weekend if I can get
into the garage.

Probably junk, but they are good to me, so I will grin and bear it for a
while. Who knows, might be a real find, it happens sometimes (but usually
not me!)

Besides, starting with a crappy BS is probably a good idea in the way that
my first and only metal lathe (also crappy) was a good idea the day I
tossed the chuck and took a chunk out of the ways. Hopefully I won't
repeat that mistake if and when I get a real lathe.

Yours

Jonathan

Rob Mills

"RonB" wrote in message

There are a lot of good tools sold in garage and estate sales

There's gold in them der hills. In the last two months I have picked up a
current model 16 in Delta scroll saw that was still in the box unused for
$30 and a like new Craftsman Professional worm drive circular saw for $35 at
estate sales.
I'm retired and make a habit of hitting the estate sales on Thursday and
Friday mornings that are not a great driving distance from the house. I may
go for weeks and find nothing and then Bing-Go , find a bargain. RM~

Jonathan Mau

Jonathan Mau ) writes:
It was a garage sale find. Only fact I know for sure (maybe)
is that it is a 14 inch. My wife talked to my mother-in-law and the
inlaws are away on vacation. I will pick up this weekend if I can get
into the garage.

Here is the follow up. Got the saw. It is a 3 wheel Asian no name model
circa 1985. One of the wheels needs a new rubber (Is that the right word?).
I am not inclined to try and source the part. Fortunately she didn't pay
much.

It is a 3 speed model and will cut metal at the lowest speed. Might be
reasonable for cutting sheet stock.

She is such a sweet lady. I have size 15 feet (narrow!) and she often goes to
the trouble of buying me shoes for my Birthday and such. She often finds
footwear that fits me better than the stuff I manage to find.

Sorry, no gloat to report this time.

Jonathan
jo4hn

Jonathan Mau wrote:
Jonathan Mau ) writes:

[...]

Naw, it's still a gloat. Perhaps a friend gloat (insert your favorite
size 15 joke here). I'm sure the dp is usable. Try Suffolk for new
tires. Have a good day.
mahalo,
jo4hn