Default Flash Gordon Millwork, Inc.

This is out of The Woodwright's league and I know nobody has one in
their basement, but is anyone here well versed in the laser cutting of
wood? I have a project in mind and need to find out if it's feasable.

NorthIdahoWWer

I have about 6 years experience running a laser although I don't do that
now. I can probably answer any questions you may have.

Will

willhathaway*at*hotmaildotcom

wrote in message
oups.com...
This is out of The Woodwright's league and I know nobody has one in
their basement, but is anyone here well versed in the laser cutting of
wood? I have a project in mind and need to find out if it's feasable.

They have a laser in production at the shop I work in. What did you
want to know? They use it mostly for engraving type work but it will
cut up to about 1/8" material, maybe thicker, I've not used it much
myself. It is also great for inlay. You use it to scarf out the shape,
then cut the exact same shape from veneer and lay it in. Very sweet.

Indeed, you read my mind. It's the inlay work I'm interested in. Is
programming for a job as simple as inserting a cad file into a computer
and putting the veneer into the machine?
I know that sounds simplistic, but the projects I want to do are one
off...one computer file for one cutting job. Each job would consist of
an 8.5 X 11 inch stack of veneer, 4 or 5 sheets together. Then another
pattern file and another stack of veneer, etc., as opposed to what I'm
assuming would be the usual approach of 1 programming to produce 10,000
copies. If the setup is easy, the cost might be acceptable, is what
I'm thinking, and have I explained enough to be getting an idea of cost?

I have about 6 years experience running a laser although I don't do
that
now. I can probably answer any questions you may have.

Will

willhathaway*at*hotmaildotcom

Great.
1) You have stack of hardwood veneer about 1/4" thick and 8 1/2" X 11".
It's adhesive-backed veneer. Would a laser cutter have any problems
cutting an intricate pattern out of it?
2) I have AutoCad 2000 and Rhino. Are these programs in their generic
versions capable of producing the files needed to program the laser?
3) If each stack of veneer came with different programming, what would
be the approximate cost to do one?