bf

Default Anyone else despise Amazon?

I really wish they had never bought the tool crib.

I ordered three Frued router bits from them a while ago. Took 10 weeks
to get them.

I had two $30 credit slips from them, so I ordered two of the Bessey
K-body 4 packs things. (That makes them a pretty good deal). Well, the
estimated ship date was a week ago, and according to my profile, they
still haven't shipped yet. Not a huge deal, as I'm not in that big of a
hurry, but still annoying that they haven't updated the estimate. Yeah,
I know, it's the price I pay for the discount, and I knew this would
happen when I ordered, so I can't bitch too much.

And now, they have so many people cross selling on their site, it's
impossible to causally shop for woodworking stuff. If I want to buy
from Grizzly or somewhere else, I'll go there. I don't like having to
pay 5 different shipping costs to 5 different people, etc.

Customer service? hahahahha. They don't even return polite emails.
If there is a phone number, I can't find it. If there is a phone
number, I'm sure it patches me to some 3rd world country that can't
even speak English.

And finally, the thing I despise most about them is how when you search
on Google for something 99% of the sites are simply pointers to Amazon.
Nice of them to drown out all the other sellers by spamming the search
engines.

So in short, unless I get an exceptional deal and am willing to wait 2
months, they are pretty much my last resort.

Brian Elfert

"bf" writes:

And finally, the thing I despise most about them is how when you search
on Google for something 99% of the sites are simply pointers to Amazon.
Nice of them to drown out all the other sellers by spamming the search
engines.

Amazon is not spamming search engines themselves.

They have a partner program that offers an incentive every time someone
who is referred through a partner buys something. People set up all the
websites pointing at Aazon hoping to make a few bucks on the side. I
doubt anyone makes a living off referring customers to Amazon unless they
have a lot of sites.

The search engines are picking up all these partner sites. And yes, it is
damn annonying.

Brian ELfert
Swingman

"Brian Elfert" wrote in message ...

Amazon is not spamming search engines themselves.

The search engines are picking up all these partner sites. And yes, it is
damn annonying.

.... add eBay into the mix and you can't trust a google any longer because of
these tactics.

Reckon it's time to go back to CB radio since all the shoe merchants, ribbon
clerks and double-wide denizens seem to have migrated to the Internet.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/12/05

George

You can get some good deals at Amazon but bear in mind it is a dishonest
company. They continue to sell toolboxes as "genuine hardwood" in spite of
thei knowledge that their are selling compressed composite board.
Ordering from them is like Russian roulette.

"bf" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

CNT

Who's next? I canceled my order (Freud 3-set) after waiting for ~35 days,
then ordered it else where, received it less than 7 days.

Chuck

I ordered three Frued router bits from them a while ago. Took 10 weeks
to get them.

Gary

"Tom" wrote in message
. ..
Amazon.com Customer Service Phone Number 1-800-201-7575
"bf" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Yep , same here. I ordered three Freud items from them recently. I have
twice received delayed shipping notices on all three. Finally last Friday,
a box showed up which was suppose to be a nice 2+2 three piece cabinet bit
set. Opening the box, I found an 8 piece dove tail bit set. Damn! After
about 8 weeks waiting, they sent me the wrong item. I must say they were
quick on the exchange, UPS picked up the erroneous item from my house on
Monday and the new bit set came yesterday (Tuesday). But I also received
notice that the separate raised panel bit and the door lip bit on ordered is
delayed again to the week of July 25.

Obviously they are drop shipping this stuff, but why can't they have Freud
ship it to me and save mucho time?

Keith Carlson

"bf" wrote in message
oups.com...

And now, they have so many people cross selling on their site, it's
impossible to causally shop for woodworking stuff. If I want to buy
from Grizzly or somewhere else, I'll go there. I don't like having to
pay 5 different shipping costs to 5 different people, etc.

Customer service? hahahahha. They don't even return polite emails.
If there is a phone number, I can't find it. If there is a phone
number, I'm sure it patches me to some 3rd world country that can't
even speak English.

Search the website far and wide, you won't find the customer service phone
number. Just do a google search, though, lots of people have the number:
800-201-7575.

And I guess I must be really lucky? My experience with Amazon has been the
opposite. Well, almost entirely opposite. I recently had an order for some
sanding belts delayed, but I don't need them this minute.

My dealings with their CS have always been good. On one purchase, for a set
of JBL speakers, I called to clarify the shipping weight they listed in the
item description. I talked to someone who was polite, candid, and
knowledgeable. Offered to check with someone at the warehouse on the actual
shipping weight and emailed me later that day with the info. I was amazed
because it was so UNLIKE every typical customer service encounter these
days.

I've seen the "5 different shipping costs to 5 different people" scenario,
too. (well, maybe 3 different sellers) I'd prefer getting everything from
one. But, if you want to buy one thing from Tool Crib, go to Grizzly's site
for another, go to Woodcraft for another item, etc., you're still dealing
with separate shipping charges and sellers and also duplicating your efforts
in entering shipping and payment info.

Hard to believe you can have two such different perceptions of a retailer,
eh?

loutent

In article t3iBe.171132$xm3.83807@attbi_s21, Keith Carlson
wrote:

"bf" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Hi Keith,

I'm sort of in your camp with this. I have used
Amazon quite a lot, but only when I felt
that I was getting a great deal. The one thing that
kept me coming back was their $25 off $199 or more
deal and free shipping. I think that they have eliminated
the $25 off deal for now (on tools etc).

IMHO you can order from just about anyone and get the
same deal without the delay - Amazon just makes it
easy to do it all in one order. That's worth something to
some, maybe not much to others.

I do like getting info from their site and I think that their
CS is pretty good - they make things right without much of a
problem.

I do not think that they are a "dishonest" company. Just
trying to make a buck at the least cost to them. It's called
"capitalism" I believe, and I'm all for it - don't have to buy
there if I don't want to.

Lou
Rick Samuel

The ONLY weapon you have is where you spend your money.

Edwin Pawlowski

"bf" wrote in message
I really wish they had never bought the tool crib.

So in short, unless I get an exceptional deal and am willing to wait 2
months, they are pretty much my last resort.

Why despise them and get your blood pressure up. Jut go to
www.coastaltool.com or a half dozen other reputable dealers. Prices are
within pennies and they are very reliable.

Patriarch

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:erkBe.1227$dX5.620
@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com:

"bf" wrote in message
I really wish they had never bought the tool crib.

So in short, unless I get an exceptional deal and am willing to wait 2
months, they are pretty much my last resort.

Why despise them and get your blood pressure up. Jut go to
www.coastaltool.com or a half dozen other reputable dealers. Prices are
within pennies and they are very reliable.

And/or buy locally, if possible. Keep a local dealer in business. Touch
and feel the merchandise. Let someone else deal with the freight hassles.
Pay some local taxes and support the cops, firefighters, schools and
hospitals.

I'm not anti-ecommerce at all. But there is value in bricks and mortar,
sometimes.

Patriarch
Knothead

No but I only buy books from them, thats where they started and thats what
they're best at.

B a r r y

Swingman wrote:

Reckon it's time to go back to CB radio since all the shoe merchants, ribbon
clerks and double-wide denizens seem to have migrated to the Internet.

"Breaker 1-9, does anyone have a favorite circular saw?"

B a r r y

Patriarch wrote:

And/or buy locally, if possible. Keep a local dealer in business. Touch
and feel the merchandise.

I'm lucky to have Coastal, Tools-Plus, Western Tool, and (2) Woodcraft
stores within about 30 minute drive.

If Lee Valley would open up a retail store, I'd be in wooddorking
heaven! _Good_ hand tools are much harder to find locally, with the
only local source being Woodcraft.

Barry

Gary

snippage
"Gary" wrote in message

Yep , same here. I ordered three Freud items from them recently. I have
twice received delayed shipping notices on all three. Finally last
Friday, a box showed up which was suppose to be a nice 2+2 three piece
cabinet bit set. Opening the box, I found an 8 piece dove tail bit set.
Damn! After about 8 weeks waiting, they sent me the wrong item. I must
say they were quick on the exchange, UPS picked up the erroneous item
from my house on Monday and the new bit set came yesterday (Tuesday). But
I also received notice that the separate raised panel bit and the door lip
bit on ordered is delayed again to the week of July 25.

Update: This morning I received and email that the separate raised panel bit
just shipped. Go figure?

I really like Amazon because:
1. Regular price is competive
2. No sales tax (I pay enough local taxes, thank you. i.e. real estate taxes
is up nearly 40% this year)
3. Free Shipping
4. $25 discount on $200 orders (now defunct, hope it comes back soon)
5. Occasioanally they screw up their pricing and you get to steal stuff from
them. For example, a short while back I bought a Dewalt SCMS (not a recon)
from them. After discount, sale mark down, $25 discount, free shipping and
$75 debit card rebate, it cost me around $375. Costco has it for $699. It
would have cost me $700 or more locally including sales tax. Sweeeet!

It just appears that they get real slow on delivery on their price screw
ups, hoping you'll cancel. Not being a professional woodworker, I can wait.

Gary

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 00:53:39 -0500, the opaque Patriarch
clearly wrote:

And/or buy locally, if possible. Keep a local dealer in business. Touch
and feel the merchandise. Let someone else deal with the freight hassles.
Pay some local taxes and support the cops, firefighters, schools and
hospitals.

I'm not anti-ecommerce at all. But there is value in bricks and mortar,
sometimes.

This is true, but the local dealers HAVE to be responsive. Often, the
locals are nice guys who know the product and have a ton of info for
you. Too often, though, some locals are greedy, obnoxious, and have no
information to give, free or otherwise. The latter happens when a
small dealer is the only one in town, gets too big too quickly, and
doesn't scale up his selection of good people around him.

I'm a bit miffed at Amazon lately--for book purchases. I've never used
them for tools. They're so big that a message to the seller (hijacked
by Amazon) can take days to be delivered. Ditto Ebay sellers. They run
a weeklong auction but only check their email once a frackin' week?

--
Our ToolyRoo(tm) and Possum(tm) Handy Pouch Samples now available!
Never misplace your portable power tool accessories again!
John B

"bf" wrote in message

I really wish they had never bought the tool crib.

So in short, unless I get an exceptional deal and am willing to wait 2
months, they are pretty much my last resort.

Why despise them and get your blood pressure up. Jut go to
www.coastaltool.com or a half dozen other reputable dealers. Prices are
within pennies and they are very reliable.

And/or buy locally, if possible. Keep a local dealer in business. Touch
and feel the merchandise. Let someone else deal with the freight hassles.
Pay some local taxes and support the cops, firefighters, schools and
hospitals.

I'm not anti-ecommerce at all. But there is value in bricks and mortar,
sometimes.

Patriarch

It's something I try to do all the time, buy local or as the Chamber of
Commerce puts it"LOKAL".Unfortunately there is only one Hardware shop in
town, locally owned, 1 timber supplier and 1 DIY warehouse. With the
next place with a larger choice being 600+ km away, online purchasing
has been a godsend, especially for specialist items. All's not bad
though as there are heaps of suppliers of machine parts etc.
Some stuff I even purchase from the USA as it's either not (Readily)
available in Oz, or the prices are bloody ridicules.
Regards
John
RonB

Interesting. I have used them several times for books, tools and other
items - but admittedly not during the past few months. Most items have been
ordered using their super-shipping with I always assumed was going to take
weeks. I always received the item within 3-4 days. Even one second-hand
book was delivered from a partner shop in less than a week.

I'll have to watch closer in the future.

RonB

Duane Bozarth

RonB wrote:

Interesting. I have used them several times for books, tools and other
items - but admittedly not during the past few months. Most items have been
ordered using their super-shipping with I always assumed was going to take
weeks. I always received the item within 3-4 days. Even one second-hand
book was delivered from a partner shop in less than a week.

I'll have to watch closer in the future.

RonB

There seems to have been a quantum shift downward in the last year or
so...there used to be phone contact that was answered, there was a
control of content so that you knew a priori with whom you were
dealing, you used to be pretty confident of published delivery dates.
None of those things now seem to be true.

It is now like Wally-World--ok for the absolute bottom-feeder
common-most items (as long as you are aware of what they really cost
so you don't get suckered).

It appears that many of the lesser-volume products particularly from
Freud are simply listed but unobtainable. I posted my tail of woe
regarding replacement planer blades some time back--they're still on
order since last September--every two weeks the mail robot sends me a
new two-week delay and requires me to confirm I still want the
items...

Gary

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
RonB wrote:

[...]

The robot is stuttering this morning. So far I have received three emails
that my raised panel bit has shipped; all sent at different times. I hope I
don't get charged for three.

Gary

Edwin Pawlowski

"Patriarch" wrote in message
Why despise them and get your blood pressure up. Jut go to
www.coastaltool.com or a half dozen other reputable dealers. Prices are
within pennies and they are very reliable.

And/or buy locally, if possible. Keep a local dealer in business. Touch
and feel the merchandise. Let someone else deal with the freight hassles.
Pay some local taxes and support the cops, firefighters, schools and
hospitals.

I'm not anti-ecommerce at all. But there is value in bricks and mortar,
sometimes.

Patriarch

There is need for both. I use Coastal too as a brick and mortar store when
I'm in the area. It is about 55 miles from my house and often worth the
trip. I bought my last drill from them. Had I bought mail order, I would
have never known there was a better choice for me. I decided what I wanted,
went to the store and being able to handle a half dozen models, I found I
like the Panasonic over the Bosch.

Adding in the 110 mile round trip, stopping for lunch with my wife, etc. I
would have save quite a bit by mail order. It was not just a $$ and ¢¢
decision though.

For the guy that is 300 miles from the nearest dealer, he has to rely on
mail order. We have life good being able to go to a web site and choose
from Lee Valley, Coastal Tools, McFeelys, 7 Corners, etc. A luxury our
parents did not have. If not for the internet, I would not know they
existed.
Ed

cm

Too often, though, some locals are greedy, obnoxious, and have no
information to give, free or otherwise.

You must have dealt with Kieth that owns Woodworkers Source in Phoenix! Boy
is he a piece of work.

cm

clearly wrote:

[...]

Prometheus

On 13 Jul 2005 11:48:44 -0700, "bf" wrote:

I really wish they had never bought the tool crib.

Snip

So in short, unless I get an exceptional deal and am willing to wait 2
months, they are pretty much my last resort.

Nope, I don't despise them- if it wasn't for Amazon and the other
online/catalog retailers, I couldn't get 1/10 of the tools I want to
have. Try and find a marking gauge (for instance) at the hardware
store.

And, they've always been pretty efficient with my orders- I don't
think I've ever waited more than 6 or 7 business days for anything,
and I buy a lot of stuff from them.

Of course, it sounds like your experience has been very different.

bf

Duane Bozarth wrote:

It appears that many of the lesser-volume products particularly from
Freud are simply listed but unobtainable. I posted my tail of woe
regarding replacement planer blades some time back--they're still on
order since last September--every two weeks the mail robot sends me a
new two-week delay and requires me to confirm I still want the
items...

The same thing has happened to me Duane. I am forced at work to use
Amazon to order a lot of stuff. They list a book, the book is not in
stock. The bot tells me every 2 weeks to verify that I still want it,
and I'm forced to say "yes", because my employer won't let me buy it
anywhere else.

And I do agree with you, it's been the last 2 years that they've really
gone into the crapper.

Troutbeer

Duane Bozarth wrote:

It appears that many of the lesser-volume products particularly from
Freud are simply listed but unobtainable. I posted my tail of woe
regarding replacement planer blades some time back--they're still on
order since last September--every two weeks the mail robot sends me a
new two-week delay and requires me to confirm I still want the
items...

Duane's experience is exactly the same as mine. I have had good luck
with Amazon in the past, and I've bought plenty of tools through them,
but lately it seems like I just can't trust what I see on their website
in terms of availability. I've been trying to get a Biesemeyer splitter
for my PM66 since early in May. They just keep sending me the delay
e-mails week after week. I'm begining to wonder if I'm going to get
this thing before Christmas. It almost seems like they are waiting for
me to give up and just say 'the hell with it'.

If they don't have it, cant'get it, or just plain don't want to sell
it, why are they advertizing it? "Typically ships within 2 weeks"
(yeah...right) All they are going to do is **** people off and lose
business. I'm not saying I'm not going to shop for tools at Amazon
anymore, but I'm sure going to think twice if it's something I need in
less than 6 months.

Phisherman

I've been shopping from Amazon for many years and always had excellent
service, no shipping errors and speedy delivery. Recently I signed
up for an Amazon VISA and got $30 off my order. I order books,
computer components, small appliances, DVDs, and tools. Most of the
tools seems to be handled via third party companies which may be the
cause of your delay. Amazon won't charge your credit card until
shipment. I'm sure not everyone gets this kind of A1 service, but I'm
a happy camper with Amazon. The Besseys are well worth the wait!!!

[...]

Jim K

Not really. All my ordering business, (tools, electronics, books,
dvds) has been very positive. I've ordered everything from single
DVDs to miter saw and planers.

I do hate the skewed search engine results though. It's getting
harder and harder to find stores other than amazon when searching now.

On 13 Jul 2005 11:48:44 -0700, "bf" wrote:

I really wish they had never bought the tool crib.

I ordered three Frued router bits from them a while ago. Took 10 weeks
to get them.

snipped....
Duane Bozarth

Jim K wrote:

Not really. All my ordering business, (tools, electronics, books,
dvds) has been very positive. I've ordered everything from single
DVDs to miter saw and planers.

Try a set of 13" Freud replacement planer blades...

Or almost anything else that isn't in the "top 100".

Amazon Customer Service! Lobby Dosser Woodworking 6 May 21st 05 06:19 PM
Plug for Amazon TWS Woodworking 7 January 2nd 05 03:49 AM
Amazon: Penny Wise & Pound Foolish? Hank Gillette Woodworking 9 December 19th 04 04:54 PM
Amazon is smokin'... loutent Woodworking 2 December 15th 04 02:50 AM
Amazon Regrets? noOne Woodworking 7 November 25th 04 06:31 PM