John

Default Tambour Doors

I have just built some cabinets that have eight tambour doors. I used
"store bought" tambour and am not sure of the quality of the cloth
backing as to longevity. Has anybody used a method of additional
reinforcement to prevent future problems?

mike hide

"John" wrote in message
I have just built some cabinets that have eight tambour doors. I used
"store bought" tambour and am not sure of the quality of the cloth
backing as to longevity. Has anybody used a method of additional
reinforcement to prevent future problems?

I have used heavy duty canvas in the past ,available from most good painting
supply stores...mjh

Upscale

"John" wrote in message
I have just built some cabinets that have eight tambour doors. I used
"store bought" tambour and am not sure of the quality of the cloth
backing as to longevity. Has anybody used a method of additional
reinforcement to prevent future problems?

As Mike as said, painting canvas works fine for tambour doors and is easily
available. I wouldn't worry about reinforcing the ones you have until if and
when the original cloth starts to wear out. Fix it then.

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 06:48:24 -0400, the opaque "Upscale"
clearly wrote:

"John" wrote in message
I have just built some cabinets that have eight tambour doors. I used
"store bought" tambour and am not sure of the quality of the cloth
backing as to longevity. Has anybody used a method of additional
reinforcement to prevent future problems?

As Mike as said, painting canvas works fine for tambour doors and is easily
available. I wouldn't worry about reinforcing the ones you have until if and
when the original cloth starts to wear out. Fix it then.

The best way to extend mechanical devices is to clean, lube, and
maintain the guide surfaces. People force them when they stick.
That's what usually causes premature failure.

-
Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.)
-----------
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming

John wrote:
I have just built some cabinets that have eight tambour doors. I used
"store bought" tambour and am not sure of the quality of the cloth
backing as to longevity. Has anybody used a method of additional
reinforcement to prevent future problems?

I wonder if you could glue some upholstery-type vinyl (threaded side to
the canvas) that would add some strength and longevity. Now that
you've got me thinking about it, why not use vinyl in the first place?
That naugahyde stuff last a billion years, even though innocent naugas
have to be schlaughtered to get the hides.

Just a bit of brainstorming.

-Phil Crow

mike hide

wrote in message
oups.com...

John wrote:
I have just built some cabinets that have eight tambour doors. I used
"store bought" tambour and am not sure of the quality of the cloth
backing as to longevity. Has anybody used a method of additional
reinforcement to prevent future problems?

I wonder if you could glue some upholstery-type vinyl (threaded side to
the canvas) that would add some strength and longevity. Now that
you've got me thinking about it, why not use vinyl in the first place?
That naugahyde stuff last a billion years, even though innocent naugas
have to be schlaughtered to get the hides.

Just a bit of brainstorming.

-Phil Crow

Naugas can be skinned without harm to the beast, however it is difficult to
glue their hides to wooden slats...

Chantecler Windows and Doors Brian White Home Repair 3 June 6th 16 11:22 PM
Advice needed on putting poly on wood interior doors Shawn Home Repair 15 January 17th 05 05:26 AM
mdf wardrobe doors gary watson UK diy 10 October 27th 04 04:04 PM
Tambour closet doors Jessica Woodworking 5 April 30th 04 02:57 AM
Stripped doors in Edinburg (experience; long) robin UK diy 0 September 1st 03 01:49 PM