Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
John Moorhead

Default OT Rant: Sears Parts/Service

Folks -

Okay, I don't know if Kmart bought Sears or it was the other way around, but
I'll use the following example as "Exhibit A" as to why Sears had been
having trouble and "Exhibit B" as to why I've made a vow to NEVER do any
business with Sears again.

Exhibit A - I purchased a new washer and dryer unit for a rental to replace
old units. I had to pay almost $100 additional to convert the dryer to
propane from NG, using a sears installer/contractor. The total bill ran
almost $1,000 by the time it was all said and done. The dryer failed the
first time it was used - no heat. The problem was the ignitor had failed.
The local Sears store said it wasn't warranty, it was the contractor - the
contractor said he never touched the internals of the dryer, and that it was
Sears...rrrrr.... Anyway, after raising hell sears said they'd fix it but
that parts were backordered and it would be nearly a month. I told them
that was unacceptable as the unit never worked at all and that I wanted a
replacement ASAP as I have disabled people living in the units and hauling
clothes to a laundromat isn't a very attractive option. They said they'd
swap it out, but I'd have to pay to convert an new dryer to propane and pay
for an additional installation, or I could wait. I kept my temper and asked
if they felt this was a "fair deal" and the local store owner said he didn't
really care, it was sears service at fault and there wasn't anything he
could do. So, it took FIVE WEEKS to get the dryer back on line - no refund,
no apology... I wrote a detailed letter to sears customer service almost SIX
weeks ago - NO response.

Exhibit B - I have a Sears Push Reel mower and want a spare set of blades -
it's about 2 years old. I found the same mower on their website, but using
their model number for parts doesn't work. I called the parts line for
customer service and asked why the sears model number didn't work for
ordering parts and they said it had to be the model number off of the tag on
the mower. I told them that the tag was put in a poor location and the
information was illegible. They told me that they couldn't help me and that
there was NO way to get a model number from what I saw online, tho' I *knew*
it was the same damn machine. I remarked that between the placement of the
sticker and not having their stock numbers link to model numbers was, um,
poorly done they said that I should probably just buy a new mower. No deal.
Okay, maybe I should have written down the model number somewhere and all
that, but the above situations don't seem like they are terribly far removed
from a normal situation.

I have purchased several thousands of dollars worth of tools, appliances,
mowers, rototillers and the like from Sears over the years, and had
considered myself a loyal customer. Key word: HAD.....

I used to sell advertising and do marketing for a living and this sort of
thing just drives me NUTS! Why would a business spend as much $$$ as they
do on advertising and trying to get customers only to then take every step
necessary to **** them off? Never another dime from me for Sears... Never!
Contrast this with outfits like LV, MCLS, Enco and the like.....

Lawdy!

John

Sears Service is HORRIBLE! [email protected] Home Repair 30 June 15th 05 01:36 PM
Sears, what a pity the right hand doesn't know about the left! LONG diatribe. Bob Bowles Home Repair 24 February 1st 05 08:21 PM
Sears, what a pity the right hand doesn't know about the left! LONG diatribe. Bob Bowles Woodworking 31 February 1st 05 08:21 PM
Sears Ace Woodworking 16 November 21st 04 05:42 PM
Sears Ace Home Repair 8 November 16th 04 07:52 PM