joey

Default Alisam Sled

There were some recent posts about honing guides including the Alisam sled.

I recently received the SS3. I haven't sharpened with it yet but the first
thing I did was insert my 3/4" chisel and oops to bad the sleds mouth wont
allow it to insert far enough, not even close, for a 25 or 30 degree bevel.
Same with the ½" chisel . The mouth is 1/4" which will be fine for plane
blades but may not be for chisels that get thicker than 1/4" towards the
handle. BTW these are LN bench chisels my hardware store Stanleys are
thinner and work fine.

Finish while not a performance factor was not what I expected for a
relatively expensive jig. The top of the brass knob appears as if someone
started to buff out the machine marks but only went about half way and
stopped. The sled body had some minor scratches

On the plus side the tool has a nice heft and feel to it.

Joe

joey

"joey" wrote in message
[...]

Just a further thought.
I scary sharp on a large marble slab. I think if you were to use a plate
that fits between the legs of the sled you could probably gain enough height
to get a proper alignment

AAvK

I think 7/16" opening would be perfect because then it could take registered
chisels and modern Stanley 900's, thick blades.

But I also think not many folks care to much of the idea of buying the Alisam
because of the price, and possibly that very semitic sounding name (which
does not bother me).

I suppose, if the manufacturing of it was amortized by a much larger company
it would be a lot cheaper, but I doubt that any company is going to buy it
unless he puts it up for sale and offers it out.

I also think it is easier for a good woodworker to make a "wooden same idea"
....as it were. I know I will. You should send it back for all your problems with
it.

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Tim

Joe,
You are correct in stating that chisels, or any blade for that
matter, thicker than 1/4 inch will not fit in the "mouth" of the
Sharpening Sled. This is well stated in our brochure and website. We
just could not make a model to fit every single blade, ($$$), but feel
we fit most of the chisels, (like as you wrote, "my hardware store
Stanleys are thinner and work fine"), and so far, all plane irons out
there.
As far as the finish of the brass knob....I can only say we take
them from the screw machine, wash in a degreaser and dry. They are not
buffed at all. That would increase the cost even more.
The sled body having minor scratches, well that is unacceptable.
Please send it back and I will send you a new one.
"I haven't sharpened with it yet", Joe, please give it a try before
passing judgement on it. I think it's performance will speak for
itself.
The cost is basiclly what it is. We produce it here in the USA, using
your neighbors shops and talents. Also "the tool has a nice heft and
feel to it" does add to the cost. Actually the reason you don't see it
in mail order catalogs is because even though they all oved it, they
all wanted to jack up the price to about $100.00 to allow for their
margin! I would not allow that. Actually Hartville Tool will be
carrying the Sharpening Sled starting in their September catalog at our
suggested list prices. I guess they are as concerened about the cost to
the end user as we are. If we can take up a poll and the majority of
the woodworkers want a plastic version made in China, well I would stop
making them.
"I scary sharp on a large marble slab. I think if you were to use a
plate
that fits between the legs of the sled you could probably gain enough
height
to get a proper alignment", again this is not an issue if using the
mentioned 1/4 inch thick blades or less.
Joe, email me through the Alisam, (a - lee - sam, my 3 children, Alex,
Lisa and Sam, sorry I came up with the name before 9/11), website with
any concerns after using the sled. My first concern is customer
satisfaction before all else.

Thanks
Tim Queeno