AAvK

Default Alisam sharpening sled?

A really major looking honing guide for big bucks, anyone here use one?
http://www.alisam.com/ Looks good to me... "oh but the price...!!!"

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Tim

The Sharpening Sled is worth it's weight in gold. When you have it in
your hands you know you have a fine tool! I have most of them, from the
Eclipse to Veritas to Generals. Expensive? Well it's a bargain compared
to what's out there. I balked at the cost of the new Garrett-Wade
"Master" honing guide ($98.60), and you have to build wooden wedges and
a box frame for it yet! You would have to buy both of their "British
made deluxe honing guides", ($54.50 & $59.95), to get the range of the
Sharpening Sled.
It doesn't need any extra jigs, (Veritas), nor rides on the
stone,(Veritas, Eclipse most others), no measuring how much of the
blade is sticking out to get your bevel angle, no muss, no fuss. Set
your angle and hone to your hearts content. My blades are sharper than
ever and I attribute this mainly to not worrying about having to grab
the pain-in-the-butt jigs and the time used setting up the guide. Hence
I use it more often, which in turn decreases the time it takes to
re-hone a micro-bevel. Since my edges are never far off, just a couple
swipes and I'm back in business.
Just plain simple to use and built like a "brick outhouse".
I may not be able to afford to buy a Hock blade yet but then again
maybe now I don't need to?
And made in the USA to boot!
Tim

Drill Bit Sharpening Tina Woodworking 43 March 20th 05 02:58 AM
Problems sharpening chisels Richard Sterry UK diy 57 May 12th 04 11:21 AM
Crosscut Sled - epiphany mttt Woodworking 58 March 18th 04 05:21 PM
Review: "Woodturning: Fundamentals of Sharpening" Terry Poperszky Woodturning 1 December 22nd 03 03:44 AM