Frank

Default Novice Question

I built an arbor using cedar, which was easy to cut with a hand-held jigsaw.
Now I want to use a similar design to make a pergola porch above my front
door. This time, I was to use pressure treated wood because the original
porch rotted out.

Here's the question. Can I easily cut pressure treated wood? I plan on
making freehand cuts and I'm not sure if pressure treated wood allows for
this. Also, I need to use a wood chissle on it too.

Here is a picture of my arbor:
http://users.ameritech.net/linchester/Arbor2.jpg

See how the ends are cut? Do you think I have any chance of duplicating the
ends on a piece of pressure treated lumber? If not, what do you suggest?

Thanks,
Frank

Dave Balderstone

In article , Frank
wrote:

See how the ends are cut? Do you think I have any chance of duplicating the
ends on a piece of pressure treated lumber? If not, what do you suggest?

My neighbor built something very similar from PT lumber, using a jigsaw
to cut the ends, last summer. It looks great, and wasn't a great
problem for him. He used chisels, rasps, etc., to shape and round the
edges of the pieces. I don't recall he was at all stressed due to it
being difficult. I do recall the wood being VERY wet.

Use precautions to avoid breathing the sawdust.

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com
Mike Marlow

"Frank" wrote in message
news
I built an arbor using cedar, which was easy to cut with a hand-held

jigsaw.
Now I want to use a similar design to make a pergola porch above my front
door. This time, I was to use pressure treated wood because the original
porch rotted out.

Here's the question. Can I easily cut pressure treated wood? I plan on
making freehand cuts and I'm not sure if pressure treated wood allows for
this. Also, I need to use a wood chissle on it too.

Here is a picture of my arbor:
http://users.ameritech.net/linchester/Arbor2.jpg

See how the ends are cut? Do you think I have any chance of duplicating

the
ends on a piece of pressure treated lumber? If not, what do you suggest?

That is very achievable using pressure treated lumber Frank. You'll find
that it tools just about like a fairly green piece of pine.

--

-Mike-

loutent

In article , Frank
wrote:

I built an arbor using cedar, which was easy to cut with a hand-held jigsaw.
Now I want to use a similar design to make a pergola porch above my front
door. This time, I was to use pressure treated wood because the original
porch rotted out.

Here's the question. Can I easily cut pressure treated wood? I plan on
making freehand cuts and I'm not sure if pressure treated wood allows for
this. Also, I need to use a wood chissle on it too.

Here is a picture of my arbor:
http://users.ameritech.net/linchester/Arbor2.jpg

See how the ends are cut? Do you think I have any chance of duplicating the
ends on a piece of pressure treated lumber? If not, what do you suggest?

Thanks,
Frank

Hi Frank,

I built an arbor from PT wood about 10 years ago for our garden.
I used 4x4's for the posts and after a year or so, two of them started
to twist - as they dried out I guess. Now it looks like crap.

Your arbor using cedar looks really nice. I intend to re-do ours
and was thinking of using cedar this time.

Why not use cedar for your porch?

Lou
Ron Magen

Frank,
That arbor certainly looks like a pergola I built for my wife. It was
several years ago and the roses have grown all over it !!

I used butt-ugly PT because I wanted to do it ONCE. Even so, I 'insolated'
it from the ground {I modified it to 'semi-freestanding'}with PT 'blocks'
under the legs. The corbels were cut with a bandsaw. Assembly was with
Stainless Steel screws & bolts. Prior to assembly, it got two coats of
primer and about 6 coats of exterior white semi-gloss.

Other than a bit dirty it looks like the day I set it in place.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Frank" wrote in message
news
I built an arbor using cedar, which was easy to cut with a hand-held

jigsaw.
Now I want to use a similar design to make a pergola porch above my front
door. This time, I was to use pressure treated wood because the original
porch rotted out.

Here's the question. Can I easily cut pressure treated wood?

Pat Barber

Pressure treated is just a treatment. It will not
affect your ability to cut the wood.

"Most" pt lumber is southern yellow pine(SYP) and
it will machine fairly well.

If you can get really lucky, find some KDPT which
is pressure treated lumber that has been kiln dryed after
the treatment. This is normally, VERY nice lumber.

Frank wrote:

I built an arbor using cedar, which was easy to cut with a hand-held jigsaw.
Now I want to use a similar design to make a pergola porch above my front
door. This time, I was to use pressure treated wood because the original
porch rotted out.

Here's the question. Can I easily cut pressure treated wood? I plan on
making freehand cuts and I'm not sure if pressure treated wood allows for
this. Also, I need to use a wood chissle on it too.

Here is a picture of my arbor:
http://users.ameritech.net/linchester/Arbor2.jpg

See how the ends are cut? Do you think I have any chance of duplicating the
ends on a piece of pressure treated lumber? If not, what do you suggest?

Thanks,
Frank

Battleax

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
tone.ca...
In article , Frank
wrote:

See how the ends are cut? Do you think I have any chance of duplicating

the
ends on a piece of pressure treated lumber? If not, what do you suggest?

My neighbor built something very similar from PT lumber, using a jigsaw
to cut the ends, last summer. It looks great, and wasn't a great
problem for him. He used chisels, rasps, etc., to shape and round the
edges of the pieces. I don't recall he was at all stressed due to it
being difficult. I do recall the wood being VERY wet.

Use precautions to avoid breathing the sawdust.

And don't handle the wood with bare hands

Frank J. Vitale

It is recommended that you use a mask when cutting pressure treated wood.
Since the treatment does not go all the way into the wood, when you cut it
you have untreated wood exposed to the elements. You used to be able to buy
some liquid to treat the cut ends. I don't know if they still sell it.

Have you thought of using some of the new "imitation" woods that they are
using for decks these days.

John

Quality jigsaw and sharp blades should work just fine for this - cheap
jigsaw may NOT be up to this, however, sharp blades can and do make a
difference - I love my Bosch 1591, and would never try this with my
first jigsaw - a #29.99 B&D

Pressure treated lumber is often very WET and heavy, so take it easy
and don't try to cut too fast

John

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 03:46:29 GMT, "Frank"
wrote:

I built an arbor using cedar, which was easy to cut with a hand-held jigsaw.
Now I want to use a similar design to make a pergola porch above my front
door. This time, I was to use pressure treated wood because the original
porch rotted out.

Here's the question. Can I easily cut pressure treated wood? I plan on
making freehand cuts and I'm not sure if pressure treated wood allows for
this. Also, I need to use a wood chissle on it too.

Here is a picture of my arbor:
http://users.ameritech.net/linchester/Arbor2.jpg

See how the ends are cut? Do you think I have any chance of duplicating the
ends on a piece of pressure treated lumber? If not, what do you suggest?

Thanks,
Frank

Frank

Thanks for all your feedback. I'm going to spend the extra money and use
cedar! I'll just make sure I put a good primer/sealer down before I paint. I
didn't know that PTW warps. That's enough for me to give up on it plus it's
hard to shape.

Thanks,
Frank

wrote:

I built an arbor using cedar, which was easy to cut with a hand-held
jigsaw.
Now I want to use a similar design to make a pergola porch above my front
door. This time, I was to use pressure treated wood because the original
porch rotted out.

Here's the question. Can I easily cut pressure treated wood? I plan on
making freehand cuts and I'm not sure if pressure treated wood allows for
this. Also, I need to use a wood chissle on it too.

Here is a picture of my arbor:
http://users.ameritech.net/linchester/Arbor2.jpg

See how the ends are cut? Do you think I have any chance of duplicating
the
ends on a piece of pressure treated lumber? If not, what do you suggest?

Thanks,
Frank

Phisherman

wrote:

I built an arbor using cedar, which was easy to cut with a hand-held jigsaw.
Now I want to use a similar design to make a pergola porch above my front
door. This time, I was to use pressure treated wood because the original
porch rotted out.

Here's the question. Can I easily cut pressure treated wood? I plan on
making freehand cuts and I'm not sure if pressure treated wood allows for
this. Also, I need to use a wood chissle on it too.

Here is a picture of my arbor:
http://users.ameritech.net/linchester/Arbor2.jpg

See how the ends are cut? Do you think I have any chance of duplicating the
ends on a piece of pressure treated lumber? If not, what do you suggest?

Thanks,
Frank

PT wood cuts, shapes, and sands easily. The problem is the toxic dust
and high moisture content. When I selected PT wood, I work outdoors
and use a tight-fitting dust mask. The sawdust from PT wood has a
texture somewhat like cornmeal. It has a high moisture content and
will twist, bow, and wane as it dries. Alternative woods include
white oak, cedar, redwood or teak.

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Correction-Sony KV-1952RS TV Smoke/Flyback Transformer Novice Question Marc Electronics Repair 3 October 13th 04 05:20 PM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs Home Ownership 2 March 25th 04 07:03 PM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM