PDQ

"gwoodwork" wrote in message =
oups.com...
| I am building an armoire, I want it to have heavy doors just because
| the one that Im trying to pretty much duplicate does. I have made a
| couple armoires but have have only used solid wood for the doors. =
These
| doors are not raised panel, its just a flat panel such as the Shaker
| style has.
| I have a simple panel raiser bit that only makes the slot to fit into
| the rails and stiles. I was wondering if it might be possible to use
| plywood for the panel- might be a dumb idea but thought Id ask? since
| the plywoods edges wont be exposed
|=20
I have a set of stile and rail bits which makes for fine doors into =
which I have inserted 1/4" plywood.
These oak frames look mighty fine with the oak ply inserts. The same =
might work for you.=20

--=20
PDQ

SonomaProducts.com

Sure. For flat panels this is very common. Some details even then
overlay a molding. This is commonly referred to as "Applied Molding".
You also see a similar detail in Mitered doors with flat panels,
although in that case the detail is usually milled into the rail and
stil rather than applied but it looks nearly the same.

See this example http://www.maplecraftusa.com/HTML2005/SPECapplied.html
the door at the top right is a flat panel with an applied molding at
the inner edge of the rails/stiles. You could also do an edge treatment
to the outside edges too.

gwoodwork

I have done this also before, I just like the feel of the heavy 3/4"
doors so was wondering if it would work? What about 1/2" plywood?

Leon

"gwoodwork" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am building an armoire, I want it to have heavy doors just because
the one that Im trying to pretty much duplicate does. I have made a
couple armoires but have have only used solid wood for the doors. These
doors are not raised panel, its just a flat panel such as the Shaker
style has.
I have a simple panel raiser bit that only makes the slot to fit into
the rails and stiles. I was wondering if it might be possible to use
plywood for the panel- might be a dumb idea but thought Id ask? since
the plywoods edges wont be exposed

Ok umm. I have not seen a panel raiser bit that makes a slot. Soooo, since
panel raising bits cut away at the surface of a slab, if you use it on a
piece of plywood you are going to expose the lower ply layers of wood when
using that particular bit.

If however you only have a rail and stile bit then those do cut slots and
yes you can use plywood for the panels to fit in to the slots.

C & S

Absolutely.

In this application, ply is superior to real wood. There are no issues with
expansion and contraction. However, measure your plywood it is seldom the
stated thickness.

-Steve

I was wondering if it might be possible to use
plywood for the panel- might be a dumb idea but thought Id ask? since
the plywoods edges wont be exposed

Dr. Deb

gwoodwork wrote:

I have done this also before, I just like the feel of the heavy 3/4"
doors so was wondering if it would work? What about 1/2" plywood?

1/2" ply would work, but you might want to undercut the back to 1/4" and
mount it forward. Make your usual 1/4" dado and mount the ply.

Depending on how you do the panel raising and finish it, should look really
sharp AND give a look of being hefty.

Deb
gwoodwork

Thanks for the help, especially for those who understood what I was
trying to get at. This helps.

Chantecler Windows and Doors Brian White Home Repair 3 June 6th 16 11:22 PM
mdf wardrobe doors gary watson UK diy 10 October 27th 04 04:04 PM
Any Ideas How To Replace Rotted Wood Panels On French Doors? Ron Home Repair 5 March 20th 04 06:52 PM
New Front Door(s) Bruce Home Repair 4 December 10th 03 12:37 AM
Stripped doors in Edinburg (experience; long) robin UK diy 0 September 1st 03 01:49 PM