ContreteArtist

Default Concrete shinkage

I used a mixture of 2 parts silica sand; 2 parts Koalin, 1 part
portland cement, small amount of nylon fiber and small amount of Q
cells. I used latex as activator for the concrete. I had quite a bit
more shinkage than I thought I would get. I mixed ingrediaents and then
poured. Should I have waited to pour until concrete started to set up?
Should I alsways expect shinkage? What can I do to minimise it?
Thanks for any help.

BillyBob

"ContreteArtist" wrote in message
oups.com...
I used a mixture of 2 parts silica sand; 2 parts Koalin, 1 part
portland cement, small amount of nylon fiber and small amount of Q
cells. I used latex as activator for the concrete. I had quite a bit
more shinkage than I thought I would get. I mixed ingrediaents and then
poured. Should I have waited to pour until concrete started to set up?
Should I alsways expect shinkage? What can I do to minimise it?
Thanks for any help.

Hmmm, I thought concrete had less shrinkage than cocobolo. Maybe not. I'm
not sure how this is related to woodworking.

Dave Balderstone

In article .com,
ContreteArtist wrote:

Should I alsways expect shinkage? What can I do to minimise it?

Stop swimming in cold water.

It's already minimized.

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com
Gerald Ross

ContreteArtist wrote:
I used a mixture of 2 parts silica sand; 2 parts Koalin, 1 part
portland cement, small amount of nylon fiber and small amount of Q
cells. I used latex as activator for the concrete. I had quite a bit
more shinkage than I thought I would get. I mixed ingrediaents and then
poured. Should I have waited to pour until concrete started to set up?
Should I alsways expect shinkage? What can I do to minimise it?
Thanks for any help.

Add some sawdust. It will swell to counteract the concrete shrinkage.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Everybody has a right to be stupid,
but some abuse the privilege.

LRod

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 23:59:56 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

In article .com,
ContreteArtist wrote:

Should I alsways expect shinkage? What can I do to minimise it?

Stop swimming in cold water.

It's already minimized.

"It shrinks?"

"Like a scared turtle."

"I don't know how you guys walk around with those things."

Oops. Sorry. Wrong newsgroup.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

robo hippy

Billy Bob,
As the concrete cures, water evaporates out. This is part of the
shrinkage. Less water means less shrinkage. Stiffer conctrete requires
vibration and or more working to get all of the voids out. There are a
number of additives that can be used. One is called Recover. I used it
a lot when pouring counter tops. Others are called 'plasticizers'. They
allow the concrete to act like it has more water in it than it really
does. The down side to these is that it tends to give the conctete a
texture like silly putty, and makes it harder to work. Concrete will
shrink and expand with temperature changes. On smaller slabe this isn't
significant. On the Golden Gate Bridge, this can mean elevation changes
of 5 or so feet during the day.
robo hippy

Gerald Ross wrote:
ContreteArtist wrote:
I used a mixture of 2 parts silica sand; 2 parts Koalin, 1 part
portland cement, small amount of nylon fiber and small amount of Q
cells. I used latex as activator for the concrete. I had quite a bit
more shinkage than I thought I would get. I mixed ingrediaents and then
poured. Should I have waited to pour until concrete started to set up?
Should I alsways expect shinkage? What can I do to minimise it?
Thanks for any help.

Add some sawdust. It will swell to counteract the concrete shrinkage.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Everybody has a right to be stupid,
but some abuse the privilege.

How to make new concrete attach to old concrete JW Home Repair 8 June 27th 04 08:44 AM
How to make new concrete attach to old concrete JW Home Ownership 8 June 27th 04 08:44 AM
Repairing concrete floor in shop Todd Fatheree Woodworking 10 June 3rd 04 08:18 AM
Laying Concrete Flooring John UK diy 5 September 24th 03 07:15 AM
Help with concrete! Alexander Galkin Home Repair 4 August 16th 03 04:40 AM