Newshound

Default Paste wax removal

I have a painted piece that was recently waxed with Johnsons paste wax. Now
SWMBO wants me to spray it a different color. I'm thinking that spray
lacquer might not adhere too well over the wax. Any suggestions for
removal, short of sandpaper?
Thanks.

Dave Balderstone

In article , Newshound
wrote:

I have a painted piece that was recently waxed with Johnsons paste wax. Now
SWMBO wants me to spray it a different color. I'm thinking that spray
lacquer might not adhere too well over the wax. Any suggestions for
removal, short of sandpaper?

A scraper, then a wipe with naptha...

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com
Tom Banes

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 02:24:27 GMT, "Newshound"
wrote:

I have a painted piece that was recently waxed with Johnsons paste wax. Now
SWMBO wants me to spray it a different color. I'm thinking that spray
lacquer might not adhere too well over the wax. Any suggestions for
removal, short of sandpaper?
Thanks.

Mineral spirits. Wipe it on and wipe it off. Clean rags on the wipe
off (paper towels are fine). A bit cheaper than naptha, not as
explosive, and doesn't evaporate as fast. MS cuts wax - like right
now!.

A scrape afterwards isn't a bad idea. It roughens things up for a new
coat and smooths the paint marks from the last.
Dave Balderstone

In article .ca, Dave
Balderstone wrote:

A scraper, then a wipe with naptha...

Or, as Tom suggests, a wipe with naptha and *then* a scrape...

Or a scrape, a wipe, and a scrape...

;-)

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com
Don Dando

Places that sell automotive refinishing products sell a "Wax and Tar
Remover" that is the first step in getting a vehicle ready for painting.

Use the product BEFORE doing any sanding. If you try to sand the wax off
you may well just create sanding scratches that hold the wax in place then
the item won't take finishes very well.

Don Dando

m...