Josh

Default HVLP "Conversion" gun

Anybody have any experience with the cheap HVLP conversion guns that
hook to a normal compressor vs. the real deal systems with a turbine?
The conversion guns are MUCH cheaper, which leads me to believe that
they must not be very good.

For example, Amazon sells a Wagner one for $139.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...?v=glance&s=hi

Is a gun like this good enough for a hobbyist?

HMFIC-1369

"Josh" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anybody have any experience with the cheap HVLP conversion guns that
hook to a normal compressor vs. the real deal systems with a turbine?
The conversion guns are MUCH cheaper, which leads me to believe that
they must not be very good.

For example, Amazon sells a Wagner one for $139.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...d_sxp_f/002-25
96105-5655238?v=glance&s=hi

Is a gun like this good enough for a hobbyist?

Robatoy

In article .com,
"Josh" wrote:

Anybody have any experience with the cheap HVLP conversion guns that
hook to a normal compressor vs. the real deal systems with a turbine?

The conversion guns are MUCH cheaper, which leads me to believe that
they must not be very good.

I was looking at a Lotus Elan painted with a $ 79.00 (US) HomeDepot
(Husky) HVLP conversion gun. A MUCH better job than I have seen done
with a $500.00 Iwata gun.
I have sprayed a lot lacquer with a HVLP conversion gun (DeVilbiss) with
excellent results.

Having said all that it, it makes me draw the following conclusions:
If you're no good at spray painting, a good gun isn't going to help you.
If you take your time to learn proper viscosities and spraying
techniques, a reasonably priced gun like the Husky HVLP will be more
than sufficient.
The only other thing that could make a difference would be durability
and whether or not the gun can handle waterborne (rust/stainless steel
parts) paints.

ANYthing with the name Wagner, costing as much as $139.00 would make me
proceed with caution. Those people sell a lot of suspect products.

YMMV
Bill Schoenbeck

"Josh" wrote in
oups.com:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...ref=pd_sxp_f/0
02-2596105-5655238?v=glance&s=hi

Is a gun like this good enough for a hobbyist?

Josh,
I think so. Mine is from Harbor Freight (horrors!) and I'm very
happy with it. Just finished using it to spray the eaves and fascia board
on my house. All the way around. Latex exterior thinned with Floetrol and
water about 12%. Two quart cup with hoses connecting cup to gun so I can
spray upside down if I want to (need to for eaves). It should spray
thinner material even better as latex is asking a lot. I just havent
needed to use it for that yet. Oh yeah, and I filter the paint as it goes
into the cup to minimize the chance of clogs. Keep it clean between uses
(goes for every spray rig). The price was right (around $100 I think) and
I have gotten my miney's worth.

Bill

mail to: double u schoenbeck at cox dot net

Josh

Thanks for the info. I share your opinion about Wagner. That was just
an example, not one I was seriously considering buying.

Frank Boettcher

Iv'e had very good luck with the Porter Cable HVLP conversion gun.
Have sprayed lacquer, polyurethane (which I always had trouble with
when I sprayed it with my regular high pressure air atomized gun).
I even did an old car with Dupont automotive enamel. Not perfect, but
much better than expected.

Frank

On 24 Jun 2005 12:59:22 -0700, "Josh" wrote:

Anybody have any experience with the cheap HVLP conversion guns that
hook to a normal compressor vs. the real deal systems with a turbine?
The conversion guns are MUCH cheaper, which leads me to believe that
they must not be very good.

For example, Amazon sells a Wagner one for $139.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...?v=glance&s=hi

Is a gun like this good enough for a hobbyist?

George E. Cawthon

Bill Schoenbeck wrote:
"Josh" wrote in
oups.com:

[...]

I have the same gun and it will spray latex if
thinned enough but it is very slow on a big
surface. For fascia and eaves it would probably
be ok.

OTOH, it does a good job with oil(Rustoleum
enamel). And, it works great with stains.

Takes a little time figuring out how to get the
best results, but I think a larger orifice would
help latex spraying.
Bill Schoenbeck

George,
Yeah, my experience with large surfaces is the same. I bought the
gun two years ago to paint eaves on an addition to the house. Worked so
well I tried it on the ceiling in the new bathroom. Spray pattern was so
narrow I gave up and went back to rollers. It really is great for areas
of detail and esp when trying to spray upside down.

Happy to hear of your good experience with oil based and stains. i
eventually plan to use it for that purpose. I wish other size orifice's
(orificii ??) were available for the gun. I have wondered if tips from
other guns will fit it since it is likely a copy of another gun. Just
need to find out who they copied.

Bill

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in
:

HF turbine HVLP $30 !! AL Woodworking 0 February 11th 05 08:19 AM
Best conversion gun, compressor usage with HVLP sprayer Ollie Woodworking 8 October 26th 04 02:09 PM
Wagner HVLP conversion gun jw Woodworking 3 February 27th 04 03:04 AM
OT Harbor Freight HVLP spray equipment Bill Schoenbeck Metalworking 7 October 22nd 03 03:01 PM
Best HVLP "Conversion" Gun? Dave Woodworking 6 August 5th 03 04:45 PM