Morris Dovey

Default OT - Quote-Fix for Outlook Express

Outlook Express has been driving me crazy by trying to force top
posting. I did a Google search looking for a how-to to change the @#%!
thing to bottom post.

Well no joy in terms of setting an OE switch; but I found a free
add-on that not only lets me (automagicly) bottom post, but color
codes all of the quoted portions of everyone's posts and does font
magic (so that, for example *bold* is displayed in bold face.)

You can find it at http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
I just downloaded it (to the Desktop) and double clicked on the icon
to install. If you're stuck with using OE, this looks like something
good to have.

[standard disclaimer]

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Gerald Ross

Morris Dovey wrote:
Outlook Express has been driving me crazy by trying to force top
posting. I did a Google search looking for a how-to to change the @#%!
thing to bottom post.

[standard disclaimer]

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto

So far I have never had to use Outhouse Distress. Tried it, never
inhaled. Thanks for the thought, though.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Some drink at the fountain of
knowledge . . . others just gargle.

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 01:27:29 -0500, the opaque "Morris Dovey"
spake:

Outlook Express has been driving me crazy by trying to force top
posting. I did a Google search looking for a how-to to change the @#%!
thing to bottom post.

Morris, if you highlight the unnecessary text and hit the delete
button, it removes it. Then click under the quote you want and
start typing. It's very quick and simple so you should be able
to figure it out and become comfortable with the change in a day.

Thank you for bottom (or interstitial) posting.

-----
= Dain Bramaged...but having lots of fun! =
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Ken Vaughn

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Morris, if you highlight the unnecessary text and hit the delete
button, it removes it.

True, but few responders do this. And if I have to wade through a two
screen post to find the answer, I would much rather read a top post reply.
Almost everyone groups messages by thread anyway -- which makes it a moot
point in MHO.

Ken Vaughn

Morris Dovey

Ken Vaughn wrote:
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Morris, if you highlight the unnecessary text and hit the delete
button, it removes it.

True, but few responders do this. And if I have to wade through a
two screen post to find the answer, I would much rather read a top
post reply. Almost everyone groups messages by thread anyway --
which makes it a moot point in MHO.

I'm pretty well used to pruning quotes - but I expect my client
program to insert sigs properly - and I like that each persons'
remarks appear in a separate color.

M$ screws up the signature even when top posting (It kills the space
after the double dash) and makes quoted material that follows part of
the signature. Since some sane clients remove the run-on portions of
signatures, much can get lost.

I don't participate in top/bottom posting "holy wars". Other
newsgroups to which I subscribe /require/ bottom posting (comp.lang.c,
for example) and I'd offend a great many for whom I have tremendous
respect if I top posted there.

My own observation has been that the people who normally top post are
those who tend to become most lazy about pruning. They're inclined to
insert their stuff at the top and hit "send" - and not worry about the
hundred (or two hundred) lines of baggage that accompanies their
one-liner.

I try diligently to not force people to scroll in order to discover
what I have to say. Consider it my way of attempting to show respect
for /you/. (-:

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 20:50:17 GMT, the opaque "Ken Vaughn"
spake:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

Morris, if you highlight the unnecessary text and hit the delete
button, it removes it.

True, but few responders do this. And if I have to wade through a two
screen post to find the answer, I would much rather read a top post reply.
Almost everyone groups messages by thread anyway -- which makes it a moot
point in MHO.

Au contraire, mon ami. Top posting by lazy jerks still ruins a running
text for all but a single reply. (And how many of those are there
compared to long-running threads?)

-----
= Dain Bramaged...but having lots of fun! =
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Larry Jaques wrote:
Au contraire, mon ami. Top posting by lazy jerks still ruins a running
text for all but a single reply. (And how many of those are there
compared to long-running threads?)

I'm with you, brother. I consider those who neglect to trim their quotes as the
lowest of the low. Even more to the point, if I have to scroll to find their
contribution to the thread, I'll just hit "next" instead. If someone doesn't
bother trimming their quotes, I don't bother reading their reply.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Lee Michaels

"Larry Jaques" wrote

Au contraire, mon ami. Top posting by lazy jerks still ruins a running
text for all but a single reply. (And how many of those are there
compared to long-running threads?)

Top posting assumes two things.

That what is said is the last thing that will be ever said on the subject.

And no interaction will ever need to be made with the any section of the
quoted text.

Folks who think like this are usually megalomaniacs or just not very bright.

Odinn

On 6/22/2005 2:27 AM Morris Dovey mumbled something about the following:
If you're stuck with using OE, this looks like something
good to have.

No one is stuck using OE. There are plenty of free news readers for
windows (Thunderbird, FreeAgent, Gravity, Mahogany, MesNews, XNews, and
many others) as well as many commercial news readers. You have a
choice. Friends don't let friends use OE.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply

Morris Dovey

Odinn expostulated:

| On 6/22/2005 2:27 AM Morris Dovey mumbled something about the
| following:
|| If you're stuck with using OE, this looks like something
|| good to have.
|
| No one is stuck using OE. There are plenty of free news readers for
| windows (Thunderbird, FreeAgent, Gravity, Mahogany, MesNews, XNews,
| and many others) as well as many commercial news readers. You have
| a choice. Friends don't let friends use OE.

Actually, I only have that choice on my own machines - and this isn't
one of them.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Mark & Juanita

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 20:50:17 GMT, "Ken Vaughn"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

Morris, if you highlight the unnecessary text and hit the delete
button, it removes it.

True, but few responders do this. And if I have to wade through a two
screen post to find the answer, I would much rather read a top post reply.
Almost everyone groups messages by thread anyway -- which makes it a moot
point in MHO.

You assume that we keep the headers for posts that have been read around.
That just clutters up things. I want all of the unread posts for a thread
to be grouped, but when I've read a post, I want the header for that
posting to disappear.

Ken Vaughn

Dave Mundt

Greetings and Salutations....

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:19:44 -0500, "Morris Dovey"
wrote:

Odinn expostulated:

| On 6/22/2005 2:27 AM Morris Dovey mumbled something about the
| following:
|| If you're stuck with using OE, this looks like something
|| good to have.
|
| No one is stuck using OE. There are plenty of free news readers for
| windows (Thunderbird, FreeAgent, Gravity, Mahogany, MesNews, XNews,
| and many others) as well as many commercial news readers. You have
| a choice. Friends don't let friends use OE.

Actually, I only have that choice on my own machines - and this isn't
one of them.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

As a systems administrator myself, I suspect that if you
approached the IT folks they would not have any problem with
you dumping OE and moving to other, less vulnerable software. I, for
one, would celebrate it, as it would remove a number of annoyances
(If I were in their shoes).
Of course, there is always that annoying fact that to
change software packages requires that we learn something new...
and that is not always an easy thing to deal with in this
chaotic life we lead.
Regards
dave mundt