Laurie Forbes

Default OT - Outlook Express Problem

Am hoping the computer types out there can help me with this problem. For
some unknown reason, the spell checker in my Outlook Express has started
returning an "Error Occured When Spell Checking" message (no other
information is given). I cannot find a reference to this error anywhere in
the docs and also cannot figure out how to delete and reload Outlook Express
(it seems to be built into XP). I have tried reloading XP (in update mode)
but that accomplished nothing useful.

Anyone have any suggestions??

TIA for any help..........

Laurie Forbes

Greg O

I had the same problem, look here,
http://www.theeldergeek.com/oe_spellcheck.htm
About 1/2 way down the page is a link to a file, download and install it,
problem solved.
Greg

"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message
Am hoping the computer types out there can help me with this problem. For
some unknown reason, the spell checker in my Outlook Express has started
returning an "Error Occured When Spell Checking" message (no other
information is given). I cannot find a reference to this error anywhere
in the docs and also cannot figure out how to delete and reload Outlook
Express (it seems to be built into XP). I have tried reloading XP (in
update mode) but that accomplished nothing useful.

Anyone have any suggestions??

TIA for any help..........

Laurie Forbes

Martin Whybrow

"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message
Am hoping the computer types out there can help me with this problem. For
some unknown reason, the spell checker in my Outlook Express has started
returning an "Error Occured When Spell Checking" message (no other
information is given). I cannot find a reference to this error anywhere

in
the docs and also cannot figure out how to delete and reload Outlook

Express
(it seems to be built into XP). I have tried reloading XP (in update

mode)
but that accomplished nothing useful.

Anyone have any suggestions??

TIA for any help..........

Laurie Forbes

OE is actually part of Internet Explorer. You can repair an IE installation
via SettingsControl PanelAdd / Remove Programs, select the MS IE line and
double click, you should see an option to repair the installation; the line
for MS OE does not allow you to repair the installation, but you can delete
it and reinstall it from an IE disk (from your XP disk).
Martin
--
martindot herewhybrowat herentlworlddot herecom

Gunner

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 22:53:58 GMT, "Laurie Forbes"
wrote:

Am hoping the computer types out there can help me with this problem. For
some unknown reason, the spell checker in my Outlook Express has started
returning an "Error Occured When Spell Checking" message (no other
information is given). I cannot find a reference to this error anywhere in
the docs and also cannot figure out how to delete and reload Outlook Express
(it seems to be built into XP). I have tried reloading XP (in update mode)
but that accomplished nothing useful.

Anyone have any suggestions??

TIA for any help..........

Laurie Forbes

Yes. Never every again click on the icon for Outlead Exploder. Its
bad juju.

If you want to read the newsgroups, us a real newsgroup reader like
Agent or similar. If you want to do email, use a real email program
like Eudora, or Pegasus, etc etv

If you Absolutly have to have an intergrated package, download and
instll the free Thunderbird. It does both rather well, without a built
in suicide tendency.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem.
To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized,
merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas
Tim Williams

"Gunner" wrote in message
Yes. Never every again click on the icon for Outlead Exploder. Its
bad juju.

You are bad juju...

****off about OE, it works, betcha more than half of the people here know it
and don't even care!

Tim

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."

Laurie Forbes

"Martin Whybrow" wrote in message

[...]

I've tried that but neither IE or OE show up in the list of installed
programs (that's what made me think they are built in to XP).

Also tried Add/Remove Windows Components - both IE and OE show up there but
all it does is remove access to the programs from the start menu.

I wonder if something else is cocked up here..........

To the guy who posted a web site to access a file to correct the problem, I
accidently erased your post and would appreciate it if you could kindly post
it again.

To the suggestion I switch to Eurdora, I have used Eurdora Free for years
but tried OE and found I liked it better - I've had no problems with it
except this one.

Thanks again for all who replied.........

Laurie Forbes

Laurie Forbes

To the suggestion I switch to Eurdora, I have used Eurdora Free for years
but tried OE and found I liked it better - I've had no problems with it
except this one.

Correction to the above:

Have also used Free Agent for years, liked OE better and have had no
problems with OE until now.

Laurie Forbes

Gunner

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 21:22:22 -0500, "Tim Williams"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
Yes. Never every again click on the icon for Outlead Exploder. Its
bad juju.

You are bad juju...

I can be your worst nightmare, kid. Dont push your luck.

****off about OE, it works, betcha more than half of the people here know it
and don't even care!

Tim

Nearly half the population of the US are Democrats. So using numbers
games to prove sanity is not particularly useful.

Want me to send you a real nice love letter, and see how good your OE
security features are?

Be careful of what you wish for.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem.
To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized,
merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas
Gunner

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 03:44:16 GMT, "Laurie Forbes"
wrote:

"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message

To the suggestion I switch to Eurdora, I have used Eurdora Free for years
but tried OE and found I liked it better - I've had no problems with it
except this one.

Correction to the above:

Have also used Free Agent for years, liked OE better and have had no
problems with OE until now.

Laurie Forbes

Then try Thunderbird. Its quite powerful, yet not prone to the script
kiddy attacks

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem.
To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized,
merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas
Robert Swinney

I'm not sure about XP, but the spell checker problem I had with Win 98 was
caused by deleting Windows Office Suite. In that system, Spell Checker
actually resided in Windows Word.

Bob Swinney

"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message
Am hoping the computer types out there can help me with this problem. For
some unknown reason, the spell checker in my Outlook Express has started
returning an "Error Occured When Spell Checking" message (no other
information is given). I cannot find a reference to this error anywhere
in the docs and also cannot figure out how to delete and reload Outlook
Express (it seems to be built into XP). I have tried reloading XP (in
update mode) but that accomplished nothing useful.

Anyone have any suggestions??

TIA for any help..........

Laurie Forbes

Tim Williams

"Gunner" wrote in message
I can be your worst nightmare, kid. Dont push your luck.

Well...you missed your chance there... rifles are notoriously hard to shoot
anything a few thousand miles away. G

Want me to send you a real nice love letter, and see how good your OE
security features are?

Eh, be my guest... I've probably got worse before. LOL

Tim

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."

Greg O

"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message

To the guy who posted a web site to access a file to correct the problem,
I accidently erased your post and would appreciate it if you could kindly
post it again.

Here you are again.
This is a common problem with XP, my bet this will fix it.

I had the same problem, look here,
http://www.theeldergeek.com/oe_spellcheck.htm
About 1/2 way down the page is a link to a file, download and install it,
problem solved.
Greg

Laurie Forbes

"Greg O" wrote in message

"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message

To the guy who posted a web site to access a file to correct the problem,
I accidently erased your post and would appreciate it if you could kindly
post it again.

Here you are again.
This is a common problem with XP, my bet this will fix it.

I had the same problem, look here,
http://www.theeldergeek.com/oe_spellcheck.htm
About 1/2 way down the page is a link to a file, download and install it,
problem solved.

Many thanks - worked as advertised!

Laurie Forbes

Gunner

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 11:02:33 -0500, "Tim Williams"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
I can be your worst nightmare, kid. Dont push your luck.

Well...you missed your chance there... rifles are notoriously hard to shoot
anything a few thousand miles away. G

Good grief...violence? Why whould I use violence?

Want me to send you a real nice love letter, and see how good your OE
security features are?

Eh, be my guest... I've probably got worse before. LOL

Tim

You have been the recipient of nameless broadcast attacks, like most
of us here. Being targeted is another story.

Been there, done that, lost the server.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem.
To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized,
merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas
Tim Williams

"Gunner" wrote in message
You have been the recipient of nameless broadcast attacks, like most
of us here. Being targeted is another story.

Been there, done that, lost the server.

Um, okay.. so, is my continued uninterrupted presence here testament to my
security, or did you "press the button" and, nothing happening, prove that I
can pass the test? Or did you simply not "press the button" at all because
you have been, one might say....domesticated? ;-)

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem.
To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized,
merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Tim

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."

Gunner

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 23:53:47 -0500, "Tim Williams"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
You have been the recipient of nameless broadcast attacks, like most
of us here. Being targeted is another story.

Been there, done that, lost the server.

Um, okay.. so, is my continued uninterrupted presence here testament to my
security, or did you "press the button" and, nothing happening, prove that I
can pass the test? Or did you simply not "press the button" at all because
you have been, one might say....domesticated? ;-)

You sure you really really want to test your ability to prevent
borders coming over the scuppers?

I rather like you, so didnt think busting your cherry would be the
proper thing to do.

Deep down, at the core, I am a nice guy. The evil rotten twisted
******* on the surface tends to keep pushing the dirt back over him
however.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem.
To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized,
merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Tim

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem.
To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized,
merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas
Tim Williams

"Gunner" wrote in message
Deep down, at the core, I am a nice guy. The evil rotten twisted
******* on the surface tends to keep pushing the dirt back over him
however.

I had a feeling you were just being a teddy bear... g

Tim

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."

Fenrir Enterprises

wrote:

Am hoping the computer types out there can help me with this problem. For
some unknown reason, the spell checker in my Outlook Express has started
returning an "Error Occured When Spell Checking" message (no other
information is given). I cannot find a reference to this error anywhere in
the docs and also cannot figure out how to delete and reload Outlook Express
(it seems to be built into XP). I have tried reloading XP (in update mode)
but that accomplished nothing useful.

Anyone have any suggestions??

TIA for any help..........

Laurie Forbes

As someone mentioned in another post, if you had Microsoft Office on
the computer and recently uninstalled it, or uninstalled Word, spell
checking will no longer work. Outlook/Express does not have its own
spell checker. If you still have it installed, then try the
instructions here.

http://www.tech-pro.net/howto_010.html

If you never had these programs to begin with, then you never had
spell checking for Outlook Express.