Jonathan Mau

Default small scale sawmilling with a bandsaw?

I have about an acre of 6 to 8 inch red pine that needs to be thinned. I
probably have the patience and time to do 2 or 3 dozen trees a year. There
are about 200 trees in total to be thinned.

Is it a reasonable proposition to jig up a bandsaw to flatsaw these
for miscellaneous low tolerance jobs like roof sheathing and construction
timbers or will using a bandsaw like a mill just wear out an expensive
piece of gear for really low economic benefit? I don't mind so much if it
is uneconomic from the point of view of my time.

Oh, yeah, I want to buy a bandsaw anyhow, unlike a real mill which I don't
want at this point in my life.

Thanks

Jonathan
Thomas Bunetta

"Jonathan Mau" wrote in message

I have about an acre of 6 to 8 inch red pine that needs to be thinned. I
probably have the patience and time to do 2 or 3 dozen trees a year. There
are about 200 trees in total to be thinned.

Is it a reasonable proposition to jig up a bandsaw to flatsaw these
for miscellaneous low tolerance jobs like roof sheathing and construction
timbers or will using a bandsaw like a mill just wear out an expensive
piece of gear for really low economic benefit? I don't mind so much if it
is uneconomic from the point of view of my time.

Oh, yeah, I want to buy a bandsaw anyhow, unlike a real mill which I don't
want at this point in my life.

Thanks

That's a do-able project...
The bandsaw should be large enough to clear the largest diameter trunk you
will be dealing with, an in/out feed table setup and a sled of sorts to
carry the bulk of the weight past the blade will likely be necessary.
There is a user forum for Minimax users (and interested parties) at:
setups like this have been discussed and some pictures are available.

You won't necessarily need to limit yourself to flatsawing, though... with
the right setup one can do as they please.
Tom

Jonathan

Andy Dingley

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 08:21:35 -0400, "Thomas Bunetta"
wrote:

I have about an acre of 6 to 8 inch red pine that needs to be thinned.

Is it a reasonable proposition to jig up a bandsaw to flatsaw these

No, they're too thin. They're more use as poles than as flat boards.

Thomas Bunetta

wrote:

I have about an acre of 6 to 8 inch red pine that needs to be thinned.

Is it a reasonable proposition to jig up a bandsaw to flatsaw these

No, they're too thin. They're more use as poles than as flat boards.

Andy,
This is a "Duh" moment...
I re-read the post and "saw" the diameter...
When you're right, you're right!
Mea Culpa
Tom

Bill D

Yea, I agree Thomas, they are probably an ideal size for fence posts, maybe
even for deer fence (some 6' above ground). Sell them all "as is" to a farm
co-op or something. They will de-bark and chemically treat to allow long
life.

Cheers
Bill D
New Zealand

Jonathan Mau

I have about an acre of 6 to 8 inch red pine that needs to be thinned.

Is it a reasonable proposition to jig up a bandsaw to flatsaw these

No, they're too thin. They're more use as poles than as flat boards.

Problem is I have already peeled about triple the quantity of poles I need
this year. Was hoping to get some boards even if inefficiently. The only
other use for them in the small quantity I have is as firewood, and even
there, I have plenty of maple that needs thinning.

If I can read between the lines, there is no issue with excessive machine
wear in the quantities I am talking about, but most of you wouldn't do it
because the return per log will be so low.

Heck even if I just squared them to 4x4s or 6x6s, they would be more
useful than in the round for some purposes.

As always, thanks for the input.

Jonathan
Upscale

"Jonathan Mau" wrote in message
Problem is I have already peeled about triple the quantity of poles I need
this year. Was hoping to get some boards even if inefficiently. The only
other use for them in the small quantity I have is as firewood, and even
there, I have plenty of maple that needs thinning.

What about a chain saw and a milling attachment for it. They're not that
expensive.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,41131,41139
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,41131,41139
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,41131,41139

Lee Valley Tools also has a variety of safety, sharpening and instructional
literature.

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 14:15:31 -0400, "Upscale"
wrote:

What about a chain saw and a milling attachment for it. They're not that
expensive.

They're far too slow, they're pigs to work with (it takes two people)
and while they can make squares from rounds, they waste too much kerf to
make boards.