Tom Watson

Default Fixing F$&*ups At Work - Pix On ABPW

One of the crews at work was assembling a group of backbars for a
retailer.

They are just melamine boxes; glued and screwed, and everything came
out square and flush - even the divider that was to have sat back 7/8"
from flush, to allow for an inset door to pass over it. Hmmm.

Well, if it had been just one, I'd of had them do it over again - but
there were thirty of them glued up wrong. Hmmm.

Eventually the thought came to me that I might be able to build a sled
jig for the router, with stop blocks on either end, and be able to cut
down the melamine by coming into the face from both sides.

It worked pretty good, so I figured I'd put it up here, in case
somebody else runs into a problem with a glued up piece that needs to
be planed down without disassembly.

There were a couple of nicks in this test piece but my bit was kind of
pecky. I figure a fresh bit will leave me with less need for
touchups.

Total time for planing it down and edgebanding should run about five
minutes per unit.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)
Patriarch

Tom Watson wrote in
:

[...]

It's a good thing they have a real cabinetmaker, (ret) on staff.
Somebody used to fixing problems on their own nickel.

Thanks for sharing.

Patriarch
Robatoy

In article ,
Tom Watson wrote:

[snip]

It worked pretty good,

[snip]

Sign of a great guitar player...it's not in the flawless performance of
a tune, but the flawless cover-ups of the screw-ups..*G*