James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Default Just how lazy can we get?

Hiya Folks,
So I'm in line at the local Borg (the blue one) picking up some tubing when
I notice a kid playing with ata a Black and Decker display. I figured it
was a sander or something and didn't really pay much attention. Low and
behold, the kid moves and I realize it's a Power Tape Measure. No ****,
press the button and it pushes the tape out for you. Press another, and it
retracts. And for only $24.95 you too can save yourself around 2 calories
of effort avoiding the use of a "manual" tape measure..... I couldn't
believe it to be honest. It's no wonder this country is so obese!!!!
Cheers,
cc

Upscale

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message

was a sander or something and didn't really pay much attention. Low and
behold, the kid moves and I realize it's a Power Tape Measure. No ****,
press the button and it pushes the tape out for you. Press another, and

it
retracts. And for only $24.95 you too can save yourself around 2

calories
of effort avoiding the use of a "manual" tape measure..... I couldn't
believe it to be honest. It's no wonder this country is so obese!!!!

The TV ad, (up here in Canada at least) has been going around for six months
or so. As far as I'm concerned, the tape measure is for newbie woodworkers
without the experience to realize that it's just a gimmick to take their
money.

As far as being obese goes, I fall into that category but for a perfectly
valid reason. I like my beer. If I could buy a device for $24.95 that
fetched me a beer at the push of a button, I'd probably buy it. If I'm gonna
be fat, it's going to be accomplished the proper way.

Prometheus

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 00:08:08 -0600, "James \"Cubby\" Culbertson"
wrote:

Hiya Folks,
So I'm in line at the local Borg (the blue one) picking up some tubing when
I notice a kid playing with ata a Black and Decker display. I figured it
was a sander or something and didn't really pay much attention. Low and
behold, the kid moves and I realize it's a Power Tape Measure. No ****,
press the button and it pushes the tape out for you. Press another, and it
retracts. And for only $24.95 you too can save yourself around 2 calories
of effort avoiding the use of a "manual" tape measure..... I couldn't
believe it to be honest. It's no wonder this country is so obese!!!!

It's even worse than that.... I noticed that the local grocery store
now sells pre-made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with the crusts
cut off. I mean really, how much effort does it take to make a
sandwich of any type, much less one that just involves scooping some
goop out of a jar and spreading it on bread?

George

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
Hiya Folks,
So I'm in line at the local Borg (the blue one) picking up some tubing

when
I notice a kid playing with ata a Black and Decker display. I figured it
was a sander or something and didn't really pay much attention. Low and
behold, the kid moves and I realize it's a Power Tape Measure. No ****,
press the button and it pushes the tape out for you. Press another, and

it
retracts. And for only $24.95 you too can save yourself around 2

calories
of effort avoiding the use of a "manual" tape measure..... I couldn't
believe it to be honest. It's no wonder this country is so obese!!!!
Cheers,
cc

Or maybe it's for those times when you don't have a hookable object or a
person to hold the other end, and instead can push it out against what
you're measuring?

I know that doesn't fit the theory, but it certainly would come in handy
sometimes.

I use a folding rule, so I already have that capability.

Leon

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
Hiya Folks,
So I'm in line at the local Borg (the blue one) picking up some tubing
when I notice a kid playing with ata a Black and Decker display. I
figured it was a sander or something and didn't really pay much attention.
Low and behold, the kid moves and I realize it's a Power Tape Measure.
No ****, press the button and it pushes the tape out for you. Press
another, and it retracts. And for only $24.95 you too can save yourself
around 2 calories of effort avoiding the use of a "manual" tape
measure..... I couldn't believe it to be honest. It's no wonder this
country is so obese!!!!
Cheers,

I guess you have not seen the sonar measuring devices yet. Promotes
laziness AND inaccurate measurements.

stoutman

I am even lazier than that. I don't even measure stuff. I just eye-ball
it! Who needs a tape measure?

(The tongue sits firmly in the cheek area)

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
Hiya Folks,
So I'm in line at the local Borg (the blue one) picking up some tubing
when I notice a kid playing with ata a Black and Decker display. I
figured it was a sander or something and didn't really pay much attention.
Low and behold, the kid moves and I realize it's a Power Tape Measure.
No ****, press the button and it pushes the tape out for you. Press
another, and it retracts. And for only $24.95 you too can save yourself
around 2 calories of effort avoiding the use of a "manual" tape
measure..... I couldn't believe it to be honest. It's no wonder this
country is so obese!!!!
Cheers,
cc

loutent

wrote:

[...]

I'm partial to the frozen toast....you know,
you just pop it in the toaster and voila!

Lou
Edwin Pawlowski

"stoutman" .@. wrote in message
om...
I am even lazier than that. I don't even measure stuff. I just eye-ball
it! Who needs a tape measure?

You cut stuff? I just buy pre-cut lumber. You do get some odd
configurations on furniture, but it save a lot of labor. Everything in my
house is 4' or 6' or 8'.

Morris Dovey

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"stoutman" .@. wrote in message
om...
I am even lazier than that. I don't even measure stuff. I just eye-ball
it! Who needs a tape measure?

You cut stuff? I just buy pre-cut lumber. You do get some odd
configurations on furniture, but it save a lot of labor. Everything in my
house is 4' or 6' or 8'.

These days, many of my shop made tools and accessories are built that way!
See www.iedu.com/DeSoto/interest.html (interesting that no one has noticed
:-)

--
Morris

Gerald Ross

Upscale wrote:
[...]

I missed the OP but it seems to me that if you had to get along with
only one working arm, a self-extending tape measure would be very nice.
I'm not sure how many woodworkers out there who are impaired that way,
but my shop teacher in high school had only one good arm. He did have a
little withered hand on the other side which could pull out a tape.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Some drink at the fountain of
knowledge . . . others just gargle.

CW

I have one of the sonar meauring devices. It's accurate to within about an
inch at twenty five feet. Plenty accurate enough (and a big time saver) when
I was measuring the house up and drawing the floorplan.
"Leon" wrote in message

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
Hiya Folks,
So I'm in line at the local Borg (the blue one) picking up some tubing
when I notice a kid playing with ata a Black and Decker display. I
figured it was a sander or something and didn't really pay much

attention.
Low and behold, the kid moves and I realize it's a Power Tape Measure.
No ****, press the button and it pushes the tape out for you. Press
another, and it retracts. And for only $24.95 you too can save

yourself
around 2 calories of effort avoiding the use of a "manual" tape
measure..... I couldn't believe it to be honest. It's no wonder this
country is so obese!!!!
Cheers,

I guess you have not seen the sonar measuring devices yet. Promotes
laziness AND inaccurate measurements.

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

The display didn't seem to target that audience. Showed what appeared to
be a perfectly healthy woman using it.
I agree, this might work well for a very small percentage of people.
Trouble is, most folks who buy these things are not impaired.
China truly will rule the world in a few years!
Cheers,
cc

****,
[...]

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

D. J. MCBRIDE

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
The display didn't seem to target that audience. Showed what
appeared to be a perfectly healthy woman using it.

Ah-HA! A woman using it! How many female types do we all know that
will pay any amount for the smallest return in convenience? Form over
function. Now we know the target market.
--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

Robatoy

In article ,
"James \"Cubby\" Culbertson" wrote:

Hiya Folks,
So I'm in line at the local Borg (the blue one) picking up some tubing when
I notice a kid playing with ata a Black and Decker display. I figured it
was a sander or something and didn't really pay much attention. Low and
behold, the kid moves and I realize it's a Power Tape Measure. No ****,
press the button and it pushes the tape out for you. Press another, and it
retracts. And for only $24.95 you too can save yourself around 2 calories
of effort avoiding the use of a "manual" tape measure..... I couldn't
believe it to be honest. It's no wonder this country is so obese!!!!
Cheers,
cc

A customer of mine has one...the damned thing is too slow to be
useful...what a PITA...
Mark & Juanita

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 00:55:09 -0400, Robatoy wrote:

In article ,
"James \"Cubby\" Culbertson" wrote:

Hiya Folks,
So I'm in line at the local Borg (the blue one) picking up some tubing when
I notice a kid playing with ata a Black and Decker display. I figured it
was a sander or something and didn't really pay much attention. Low and
behold, the kid moves and I realize it's a Power Tape Measure. No ****,
press the button and it pushes the tape out for you. Press another, and it
retracts. And for only $24.95 you too can save yourself around 2 calories
of effort avoiding the use of a "manual" tape measure..... I couldn't
believe it to be honest. It's no wonder this country is so obese!!!!
Cheers,
cc

A customer of mine has one...the damned thing is too slow to be
useful...what a PITA...

Saw the ad for it on HGTV. Now, something with the stiffness to extend
12 or more feet -- *that's* useful. Something that rolls itself out at a
slow crawl -- that's useless. MHO

Andy Dingley

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 22:20:39 -0700, Mark & Juanita
wrote:

Now, something with the stiffness to extend
12 or more feet -- *that's* useful.

Stanley "Fat Max" I love mine for big timber framing jobs. Used
carefully, you can get about 10' of horizontal stick out before the tape
collapses. I used it just this morning to measure the length of my
plastic workshop roof - 24' and it would have been hard going to push a
floppier tape that far from up a ladder.
Leon

"CW" wrote in message
nk.net...
I have one of the sonar meauring devices. It's accurate to within about an
inch at twenty five feet. Plenty accurate enough (and a big time saver)
when
I was measuring the house up and drawing the floorplan.

Yeah I see it's value for close but not for cutting.

HMFIC-1369

I got that beat I paid a grand for a toilet seat. (Toto) You don't even wipe
your ass anymore.....

We went to Europe, and the wife demanded a Bidet. I certainly wasn't going
to add another one. I got tired of spending money on presents for the Wife
that she never or used once. So I got one SHE HAS TO USE!

I think now America is desperate to make money anyway it can and in many
cases quality and common sense take second and third! I will add though, I
recently had a ceramic tile floor installed and the Installers laughed at
all my toys. I told them here use this (Straight-Line 90 degree laser level)
and the laughed out loud!
Until they had problems squaring out the room, the room shifted .75 inch
East and 1.5 inches South, so the room was skewed enough to be a pain in the
ass, after about a half an hour of trying to get the Tile laid out right, I
brought out the laser again and they were done in about 5 minutes.

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
Hiya Folks,
So I'm in line at the local Borg (the blue one) picking up some tubing

when
I notice a kid playing with ata a Black and Decker display. I figured it
was a sander or something and didn't really pay much attention. Low and
behold, the kid moves and I realize it's a Power Tape Measure. No ****,
press the button and it pushes the tape out for you. Press another, and

it
retracts. And for only $24.95 you too can save yourself around 2

calories
of effort avoiding the use of a "manual" tape measure..... I couldn't
believe it to be honest. It's no wonder this country is so obese!!!!
Cheers,
cc

mac davis

wrote:

Hiya Folks,
So I'm in line at the local Borg (the blue one) picking up some tubing when
I notice a kid playing with ata a Black and Decker display. I figured it
was a sander or something and didn't really pay much attention. Low and
behold, the kid moves and I realize it's a Power Tape Measure. No ****,
press the button and it pushes the tape out for you. Press another, and it
retracts. And for only $24.95 you too can save yourself around 2 calories
of effort avoiding the use of a "manual" tape measure..... I couldn't
believe it to be honest. It's no wonder this country is so obese!!!!
Cheers,
cc

I think it[s excellent marketing of a less-than-useless product...
Wives probably flocked to the borgs to buy one for hubby last week...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 09:10:32 -0400, loutent wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I think there's a sale on dehydrated water next week...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

mac davis

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 08:04:15 -0400, "George" wrote:

[...]

I guess I'm just measuring wrong... I do it "carpet installer" style:
Let out enough tape to hit your starting point and walk away from it as you let
out more tape..

Personally, I'd buy a laser range-finder type tape measure before a power
tape...
I mean, if you're going to be lazy, why bother with all that messy steel tape?
*lol*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Robatoy

wrote:

Now, something with the stiffness to extend
12 or more feet -- *that's* useful.

Stanley "Fat Max" I love mine for big timber framing jobs. Used
carefully, you can get about 10' of horizontal stick out before the tape
collapses. I used it just this morning to measure the length of my
plastic workshop roof - 24' and it would have been hard going to push a
floppier tape that far from up a ladder.

A FatMax is a countertop guy's bestest friend. I must have a dozen or
more tapes all over the place...but freak out if I can't locate my
FatMax.... now I wish I could find a dual (metric & Imp) one.
jo4hn

wrote:

Hiya Folks,
So I'm in line at the local Borg (the blue one) picking up some tubing when
I notice a kid playing with ata a Black and Decker display. I figured it
was a sander or something and didn't really pay much attention. Low and
behold, the kid moves and I realize it's a Power Tape Measure. No ****,
press the button and it pushes the tape out for you. Press another, and it
retracts. And for only $24.95 you too can save yourself around 2 calories
of effort avoiding the use of a "manual" tape measure..... I couldn't
believe it to be honest. It's no wonder this country is so obese!!!!
Cheers,
cc

I think it[s excellent marketing of a less-than-useless product...
Wives probably flocked to the borgs to buy one for hubby last week...

It still has a dumb end and a smart end.
j4
Rick M

"Robatoy" wrote

snip ......

A FatMax is a countertop guy's bestest friend. I must have a dozen or
more tapes all over the place...but freak out if I can't locate my
FatMax.... now I wish I could find a dual (metric & Imp) one.

Well, try
http://www.stanleytools.com/default....153%3B+Coating

watch the wrap ... Part number 33-719 ... 15 foot / 5 meter

or this one:

http://www.stanleytools.com/default....153%3B+Coating

again, watch the wrap ... Part number 33-726 ... 26 foot / 8 meter.

HTH,

Rick

Rumpty

It's even worse than that.... I noticed that the local grocery store
now sells pre-made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with the crusts
cut off.

This has been one of the most profitable items Smuckers has ever sold.

--

Rumpty

wrote:

[...]

Thomas Bunetta

"jo4hn" wrote in message news:ONCte.7082
snip
of effort avoiding the use of a "manual" tape measure..... I couldn't
believe it to be honest. It's no wonder this country is so obese!!!!
Cheers,
cc

I think it[s excellent marketing of a less-than-useless product...
Wives probably flocked to the borgs to buy one for hubby last week...

It still has a dumb end and a smart end.
j4

Kinda depends on who's holding it, doesn't it?
GD&R
Tom

Never Enough Money

Was she in a bikini with boobs the size of beer kegs? I suspect she was
used to catch your eye....

Never Enough Money

Hmm. Machines have made us productive. Why do you single this one out
as making us obease. Many of us use time saving machines to free us up
to hike, bike, swim, ski, ....

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
mac davis wrote:

I think there's a sale on dehydrated water next week...

You know there really _is_ such a product, don't you? sold for aquariums

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

To those that use gadgets (which this is) to free up their time, fair play
to ya. But when I see folks
hop out of their minivan, push a button to open the side door, push another
button to lower the seat, and yet another
to do some other formerly physical activity, I just can't help but think the
vast majority of people are not getting their exercise.
Those places in the world where they still do things "manually" don't seem
to have this problem. I won't argue that our fast food lifestyle is a
major contributer but it just seems that some folks just don't get their
exercise from doing things a bit more manually.
Cheers,
cc

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hmm. Machines have made us productive. Why do you single this one out
as making us obease. Many of us use time saving machines to free us up
to hike, bike, swim, ski, ....

Mark & Juanita

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 09:28:33 -0700, mac davis
wrote:

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 08:04:15 -0400, "George" wrote:

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
Hiya Folks,

.... snip
sometimes.

I use a folding rule, so I already have that capability.

I guess I'm just measuring wrong... I do it "carpet installer" style:
Let out enough tape to hit your starting point and walk away from it as you let
out more tape..

That assumes that you have easy (or even not-so-easy) access to both ends
you are trying to measure. Think confined space, such as a 2 x 2 lumber
rack for which you are trying to measure the length of one of the boards
within it. Other examples abound, such as finding the length to a wall
from within a confined crawl space or unaccessable attic space.

Personally, I'd buy a laser range-finder type tape measure before a power
tape...
I mean, if you're going to be lazy, why bother with all that messy steel tape?
*lol*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Andy Dingley

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 13:01:29 -0400, Robatoy
wrote:

A FatMax is a countertop guy's bestest friend.

I had the **** taken out of me for my "twenty quid tape measure" when I
first got it. Standing on top of a frame and pushing it out far enough
to check diagonals without needing an assistant to hold it stopped that
one.

Then of course they made a better one ! The "Leverlock" in the base is
one of the first big tapes I've seen where the lock doesn't self-release
if you push and pull on the tape.

I wish I could find a dual (metric & Imp) one.

Standard sort round here - wish I could get an imperial only one.
Never Enough Money

Your assertions assume that labor saving devices cause or at least
encourage obesity. I think these folks would be obese anyway because we
have so much food, much of it highly fattening. The "places in the
world where they still do things 'manually'" also are not aflush with
resturants that use butter like water, fast food restuarants that use
animal fat as taste enhancers, and highly processed food.

The problem of obesity is more complex than labor saving devices -- but
I see you point. Cheers

Brian Elfert

Andy Dingley writes:

Then of course they made a better one ! The "Leverlock" in the base is
one of the first big tapes I've seen where the lock doesn't self-release
if you push and pull on the tape.

I love my Leverlock tape from Stanley. I have two in fact. I bought the
first one from the borg, but when I wanted a second, no one carried them.
I finally found a second one at Seven Corners Hardware (Tools on Sale).

Brian Elfert
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

I agree, the food we eat has more to do with obesity than anything. Couple
it with lack of exercise and voila!
I have seen a number of places however, where the people eat very rich type
food (France, Italy) and don't seem to have the
"largeness" that we do. Most of them put in many more miles of walking and
still do things in a very manual way so it would seem that exercise has a
lot to do with it.

Either way, I work pretty hard (physically) on my days off and will not be
buying one of these gadgets!
Cheers,
cc

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
oups.com...
Your assertions assume that labor saving devices cause or at least
encourage obesity. I think these folks would be obese anyway because we
have so much food, much of it highly fattening. The "places in the
world where they still do things 'manually'" also are not aflush with
resturants that use butter like water, fast food restuarants that use
animal fat as taste enhancers, and highly processed food.

The problem of obesity is more complex than labor saving devices -- but
I see you point. Cheers

Robatoy

In article ,
"James \"Cubby\" Culbertson" wrote:

I won't argue that our fast food lifestyle is a
major contributer but it just seems that some folks just don't get their
exercise from doing things a bit more manually.

Hear, hear!

A new way in this house:
Both my wife and I love freshly made ice-cream (most other, packaged
stuff is drek.)
BUT!!!
If we want ice-cream, we have to peddle our bikes to another town to get
it.... and we do..G
TBone

You are only looking at it from one side. For the average woodworker, you
are right, it serves little purpose but if you are in the construction
trade, it can be both a lifesaver and makes the difference between getting
the measurement and giving up.

"Upscale" wrote in message
[...]

mac davis

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 09:05:48 -0400, Robatoy wrote:

In article ,
"James \"Cubby\" Culbertson" wrote:

I won't argue that our fast food lifestyle is a
major contributer but it just seems that some folks just don't get their
exercise from doing things a bit more manually.

Hear, hear!

A new way in this house:
Both my wife and I love freshly made ice-cream (most other, packaged
stuff is drek.)
BUT!!!
If we want ice-cream, we have to peddle our bikes to another town to get
it.... and we do..G

maybe you need to pick up an old hand crank ice cream maker and adapt it for
bike power...
now, if you wife is REALLY good on the bike, a bike power table saw would be
handy.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Robatoy

In article ,
Andy Dingley wrote:

I had the **** taken out of me for my "twenty quid tape measure" when I
first got it.

Well... *I* bought a Starrett Model D125(64443) DIGITAPE.

I did.

For real.

Guess what?

$ 11.00 (that's ELEVEN) frickin' dollars for one of those obscure 3
volt MnO2Li batteries to power it.

I was trapped. TRAPPED! I tell ya...

http://www.contacteast.com/product/g...parent_id=1681

comes with 'Long Life' Lithium battery.
The slightest bit of motion, and the thing turned itself on.

But I was the coolest for a little while. Chicks dug me.