george

Default Help identifying a Stanley level?

We picked up a Stanley Sweetheart No. 13 level today at a yard sale. It is
26" long. The center horizontal bubble is missing (was it ever there?).
There are two vertical bubbles. There are no patent dates on the brass.
There are brass end corner caps, but not across the entire end.

I can't find a similar level on eBay or anywhere else, and certainly not to
a No. 13.

Anyone know anything about this level, age, etc., or where I can learn about
it?

And, yes, I have Googled it.

This is really on the level.

George

george

Here are links to pictures of the level.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...nelylevel3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...nelylevel4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...nelylevel1.jpg

George
"george" wrote in message
ink.net...
We picked up a Stanley Sweetheart No. 13 level today at a yard sale. It
is 26" long. The center horizontal bubble is missing (was it ever there?).
There are two vertical bubbles. There are no patent dates on the brass.
There are brass end corner caps, but not across the entire end.

I can't find a similar level on eBay or anywhere else, and certainly not
to a No. 13.

Anyone know anything about this level, age, etc., or where I can learn
about it?

And, yes, I have Googled it.

This is really on the level.

George

Scott Lurndal

"george" writes:
We picked up a Stanley Sweetheart No. 13 level today at a yard sale. It is
26" long. The center horizontal bubble is missing (was it ever there?).
There are two vertical bubbles. There are no patent dates on the brass.
There are brass end corner caps, but not across the entire end.

I can't find a similar level on eBay or anywhere else, and certainly not to
a No. 13.

Anyone know anything about this level, age, etc., or where I can learn about
it?

Per Walter's book:

13 "Victor" Carpenter's Adjustable Plumb & Level
1911 to 1938

Sweetheart logo would be 1920 to 1935 approx.

It would have had a center bubble.

probably worth less than $5.00

scott
Andy McArdle

I can't find a similar level on eBay or anywhere else, and certainly not
a No. 13.

Anyone know anything about this level, age, etc., or where I can learn

about
it?

Per Walter's book:

13 "Victor" Carpenter's Adjustable Plumb & Level
1911 to 1938

Sweetheart logo would be 1920 to 1935 approx.

It would have had a center bubble.

probably worth less than $5.00

scott

$5-??? Ouch! I have the same level here, it's not much chop for fine
cabinetry but for fencing and noggin-work in house framing it's ideal; I
still use it.

Heck, 'tis even adjustable, which is more than can be said for the
cheap'n'nasty plastic & alum. Stanley I bought recently at 10x that $5- and
relegated to the back shed with other "junk" tools...

- Andy

george

How does one tell the difference amongst the three? There is nothing that
says Victor nor does it have any marking other than the No. 13.
"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 21:24:09 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

probably worth less than $5.00

Oh come on ! Any working level is worth $5. Even if you have to put
a new bubble in it, you can still get a useful tool out of it.

My refs say there are 3 different "Stanley #13" levels. The common
"Victor" has no collector value, but there's another one that does.

Andy Dingley

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 20:26:50 GMT, "george"
wrote:

How does one tell the difference amongst the three? There is nothing that
says Victor nor does it have any marking other than the No. 13.

I don't really know - levels aren't my thing, and the Stanley list I
have simply lists them.

There's a "Nicholson's Patent" level (also a Stanley #13) but that's
cast iron (AFAIK). The Victor is described as an "adjustable" level,
the earlier and more valuable version ($150 estimated price for good
condition) is just a "carpenter's plumb & level" and presumably not
easily adjusted.

Might be worth investigating further before using it as a dog chew.
Dave in Fairfax

Andy Dingley wrote:
Oh come on ! Any working level is worth $5. Even if you have to put
a new bubble in it, you can still get a useful tool out of it.
My refs say there are 3 different "Stanley #13" levels. The common
"Victor" has no collector value, but there's another one that does.

2003 Walter's pocket guide pgs 20 & 21, $150-300 for the Carpenter's
Plumb & Level, $5-50 for the Victor adj model. As ALWAYS, condition and
location count for more than anything else unless you can find a YB who
wants to outfit his mantle. Good condition and ready to be used, my
guess would be $25-30 is reasonable.

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
Scott Lurndal

Andy Dingley wrote:
Oh come on ! Any working level is worth $5. Even if you have to put
a new bubble in it, you can still get a useful tool out of it.
My refs say there are 3 different "Stanley #13" levels. The common
"Victor" has no collector value, but there's another one that does.

2003 Walter's pocket guide pgs 20 & 21, $150-300 for the Carpenter's
Plumb & Level, $5-50 for the Victor adj model. As ALWAYS, condition and
location count for more than anything else unless you can find a YB who
wants to outfit his mantle. Good condition and ready to be used, my
guess would be $25-30 is reasonable.

With a SW logo, it must be the victor adj. Without the center vial,
the value is diminished to the low end of the scale.

scott

[Tool review] - Laser level Andy Dingley UK diy 3 April 5th 06 10:58 PM
Rollie's Dad's method artfulbodger Metalworking 73 May 18th 05 12:14 AM
level mystery Silvan Woodworking 37 January 31st 05 01:55 AM
Level a lathe Cliff Metalworking 0 December 16th 04 02:38 AM
Laser level??? Sorta........ Tom Metalworking 9 December 30th 03 11:19 AM