WeeWilly

Default Help-Planning an Energy Efficient Shop

I'm in the planning stages to build a decent workshop and thought I'd ask if
anyone knows where I can obtain info on building one that is relatively
energy efficient from a heating / cooling standpoint. I don't make scrap
(ha) so, while, I'll probably have a wood stove in it.. I'd really like to
have a well thought out insulation plan.. like radiant floors heated by
solar heated water to be used both for the sink and heating. Latest in
insulation, etc.

I'm up in the air about whether to go with a metal building or wood.. I like
the thought of low maintenance on a metal building... but the "warmth" of a
wood building.

Any thoughts appreciated. I don't know if the govt puts out any pubs on
this or not.

Regards, Bill

Edwin Pawlowski

"WeeWilly" wrote in message

I'm in the planning stages to build a decent workshop and thought I'd ask
if anyone knows where I can obtain info on building one that is relatively
energy efficient from a heating / cooling standpoint. I don't make scrap
(ha) so, while, I'll probably have a wood stove in it.. I'd really like to
have a well thought out insulation plan.. like radiant floors heated by
solar heated water to be used both for the sink and heating. Latest in
insulation, etc.

I'm up in the air about whether to go with a metal building or wood.. I
like the thought of low maintenance on a metal building... but the
"warmth" of a wood building.

One of the most energy efficient ways to build is using Insulating Concrete
Forms (ICF) There are many systems and you can do it yourself.
www.integraspec.com www.standardicf.com www.polysteel.com

They are very noise proof, have withstood tornados, and cut heating by about
50%

Lew Hodgett

WeeWilly wrote:
I'm in the planning stages to build a decent workshop and thought I'd ask if
anyone knows where I can obtain info on building one that is relatively
energy efficient from a heating / cooling standpoint.

A lot of how you approach this will be based on where you are located.

Lew

WeeWilly

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
ink.net...
WeeWilly wrote:
I'm in the planning stages to build a decent workshop and thought I'd ask
if anyone knows where I can obtain info on building one that is
relatively energy efficient from a heating / cooling standpoint.

A lot of how you approach this will be based on where you are located.

Lew

Lew, Northern Calif.. inland.. Climate wise.. let's say Sacramento.. close
enough. I saw a program on DIY where this architect hired a specialized
architectural company to design/build his home. I thought they had some
pretty great ideas.. but can't locate it. I'd also like to incorporate some
of these ideas into my future home... but a steel building would not be
considered for that ;-o

Bill, Healdsburg, CA
www.picturetrail.com/chips

Shop electrical safety designs Brett A. Thomas Woodworking 18 December 10th 04 07:45 AM
Quality Of Tools cisco kid UK diy 145 June 14th 04 01:56 PM
I'm pumped - my new shop is coming together tillius Woodworking 9 May 14th 04 04:12 PM
Dangerous Strippers in shop Chris Woodworking 19 March 26th 04 11:57 PM
OT (kinda) High School Wood Shop V.E. Dorn Woodworking 16 January 22nd 04 09:21 PM