Patrick Conroy

Default Woodworker to Carpenter Woes...

So maybe Norm takes a ding as a carpenter turned woodworker, but I think
I'm getting a feel for the other side of the equation.

While putting up a small fort/playhouse in the backyard - I couldn't help
myself from:

- Running the 4x4's thru the jointer/planer to straighten them out and
finish them
- Putting a 1/4" roundover on the stock.
- Looking for the "best side" on a 2x4 destined to be framing material
- Reaching for the Japanese Pull saw to finish off an inside corner
- Sneaking up on a cut via seven trips to the miter saw
- Noticing that I'm off by about an 1/8th inch on some joinery

The real mental dichotomy surfaced around the framing nailer: (1) wow, what
a cool kick-a$$, Tim Allen, power tool (2) ohmygawd butt joints and exposed
nail heads everywhere!

Pat Barber

Yep... it's a LOT different but the skill set carries
over both ways. The carpenter guys just don't screw
around as much as the woodworkers. Framing nailers are
a good thing.(dangerous but a good thing)

You get a lot more popular in the neighborhood when
they find out you can "switch hit" on wooddorking/carpentry.

Patrick Conroy wrote:

So maybe Norm takes a ding as a carpenter turned woodworker, but I think
I'm getting a feel for the other side of the equation.

While putting up a small fort/playhouse in the backyard - I couldn't help
myself from:

- Running the 4x4's thru the jointer/planer to straighten them out and
finish them
- Putting a 1/4" roundover on the stock.
- Looking for the "best side" on a 2x4 destined to be framing material
- Reaching for the Japanese Pull saw to finish off an inside corner
- Sneaking up on a cut via seven trips to the miter saw
- Noticing that I'm off by about an 1/8th inch on some joinery

The real mental dichotomy surfaced around the framing nailer: (1) wow, what
a cool kick-a$$, Tim Allen, power tool (2) ohmygawd butt joints and exposed
nail heads everywhere!

John Grossbohlin

"Patrick Conroy" wrote in message
[...]

I understand well.... I'm residing my house with Hardiplank and replacing
the windows with new windows rather than replacement windows. I'm fixing all
kinds of out of level/out of square situations with shims,
tapered-on-the-jointer spacers, etc. While installing a mounting block for a
flood light fixture, some 18 feet above grade near the frieze board, I was
doing work that would pass scrutiny at eyeball level next to a doorway...

It's hard to get away from the furniture mentality... A number of years back
I built wooden steps down the grade to the dog run. I cut huge dovetails to
hold the two sides of the assembly together. Mind you this was with
landscape timbers! ;-)

John

Thomas Kendrick

May your guilt-trip be a short one. It was only ONE playhouse that
took you 4 days to complete. Less time than you would have invested in
a furniture project. Next time, you are limited to the chop saw, a
circular saw, the framing nailer, a framing hammer and a 25' tape
measure.

p.s. Do NOT look at those 4x4's after the first summer of hot weather.

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 20:23:23 GMT, Patrick Conroy
wrote:

So maybe Norm takes a ding as a carpenter turned woodworker, but I think
I'm getting a feel for the other side of the equation.

While putting up a small fort/playhouse in the backyard - I couldn't help
myself from:

- Running the 4x4's thru the jointer/planer to straighten them out and
finish them
- Putting a 1/4" roundover on the stock.
- Looking for the "best side" on a 2x4 destined to be framing material
- Reaching for the Japanese Pull saw to finish off an inside corner
- Sneaking up on a cut via seven trips to the miter saw
- Noticing that I'm off by about an 1/8th inch on some joinery

The real mental dichotomy surfaced around the framing nailer: (1) wow, what
a cool kick-a$$, Tim Allen, power tool (2) ohmygawd butt joints and exposed
nail heads everywhere!

Modat22

wrote:

So maybe Norm takes a ding as a carpenter turned woodworker, but I think
I'm getting a feel for the other side of the equation.

While putting up a small fort/playhouse in the backyard - I couldn't help
myself from:

- Running the 4x4's thru the jointer/planer to straighten them out and
finish them
- Putting a 1/4" roundover on the stock.
- Looking for the "best side" on a 2x4 destined to be framing material
- Reaching for the Japanese Pull saw to finish off an inside corner
- Sneaking up on a cut via seven trips to the miter saw
- Noticing that I'm off by about an 1/8th inch on some joinery

The real mental dichotomy surfaced around the framing nailer: (1) wow, what
a cool kick-a$$, Tim Allen, power tool (2) ohmygawd butt joints and exposed
nail heads everywhere!

That goes for machinists turned woodworker as well. Differing stock
thicknesses drive them nuts as do methods of measurement and error
tolerances.
mac davis

wrote:

So maybe Norm takes a ding as a carpenter turned woodworker, but I think
I'm getting a feel for the other side of the equation.

While putting up a small fort/playhouse in the backyard - I couldn't help
myself from:

- Running the 4x4's thru the jointer/planer to straighten them out and
finish them
- Putting a 1/4" roundover on the stock.
- Looking for the "best side" on a 2x4 destined to be framing material
- Reaching for the Japanese Pull saw to finish off an inside corner
- Sneaking up on a cut via seven trips to the miter saw
- Noticing that I'm off by about an 1/8th inch on some joinery

The real mental dichotomy surfaced around the framing nailer: (1) wow, what
a cool kick-a$$, Tim Allen, power tool (2) ohmygawd butt joints and exposed
nail heads everywhere!

What grit sand paper did you use to smooth the studs before staining them
cherry?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Patriarch

mac davis wrote in
:

snip
What grit sand paper did you use to smooth the studs before staining
them cherry?

REAL furniture guys use handplanes. Preferably those handmade in Portland.

Sheesh.

Patriarch
Patrick Conroy

mac davis wrote in
:

What grit sand paper did you use to smooth the studs before staining
them cherry?

Started the progression off at 80 and then moved all the way...

....back to 36. why? thinking an axe would'a given a nicer surface to
accept the minwhacks?
Posted to rec.woodworking

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/woodwor...oes-22236-.htm
theboisshop wrote:
I started in construction, came over to woodworking several years after
that, and
can't find it in me to go back. I've faced a few home ownership
situations where
I've now actually hired a carpenter to come in and do work that I COULD
do. At
the end of the day I'd rather spend time in my shop building furniture,
and pay
someone else to do the carpentry. I've gotten a few raised eyebrows from
carpenters when they see my shop!